Anyone interested in a VFTT outing to Monodnock ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the Pumpelly has no parking lot. You have to park by the side of the road. And the trailhead can be hard to find as it's not well marked. Most groups will meet at the flagpole on 101 in Dublin and carpool from there. When you get there, everyone should park on the same side of the road and as close to the woods as possible to minimize disruption of local traffic.

An excellent hike. 9 miles and 2000'.

The Marlboro is also my favorite, but Shaker Road to the trailhead can be quite rough and rocky for vehicles with low clearance. You can make it a semi-loop by going up the Marlboro and down by the Smith Summit, Great Pasture, Marian and Marlboro trails.

Last edited:
I am interested in joining all of you with my son (and maybe wife) for this hike. Timing is def. everything. October is so busy for us! I would think the best thing would be to match the hike with the foliage. Maybe someone should post a poll, or break it up into two hikes. Seems like there is a lot of interest.

-percious

I am also waiting for a date to be set to see if I will be joining everyone. I also have a full calendar. The dates is what will make the decision for me.

I'd love to go since I haven't been to Monadnock in a year, but I'll be in Florida for the first two weeks of October. How about I run this date up the falgpole and see who salutes it?
October 16, 8 am, halfway house parking lot.
Reason for this location being lots of "off street" parking and a variety of short/long hikes with posibilities for loops and such. Plus there are facilities (chem toilets) in the parking lot. Foliage will probably be past peak at this date, but so will the crowd levels.

Just a thought.
Smitty

I started this thread and been remiss about posting a date with lots going on at home and work. Please give me another few days as I'd like to get a proposed date and a backup and waiting from my "co-organizer" to clear his calendar.
Probably 2 Saturdays in October, or perhaps early November when the mountain will be even more deserted.