Ashland (NH) Booze & Vittles Night - Common Man, 05/01/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We live in Ashland, and we will do our best to be there! There are lots of folks on the forum that we've been reading about for years but have never met. This will be fun and in our own backyard!

Tim and Valerie Charboneau

Well, we're going to cancel our Bald Mountain plans for tomorrow night and join you folks -- if you don't mind the kids coming along. My husband can't come up until very late, but me and both girls will be there. Is that okay in the bar section? I won't let them drink that much whiskey, I promise. ;)

Is that okay in the bar section?

I'll defer this to anyone who is more familiar with Common Man policy - I have no clue! I would think it would be okay for the kids to be up in the pub (assuming they're not sitting at the bar) - the more kid friendly food is up there vs. downstairs in the restaurant!

Last edited:
In my experiencing going out drinking with children, they allow them in the bar area, just not seated at the bar. They also have to go outside to smoke.

In my experiencing going out drinking with children, they allow them in the bar area, just not seated at the bar. They also have to go outside to smoke.

Okay, I'll let them know that they have to have their Jack Daniels at the table, and not at the bar itself. Damn age discrimination.

Upstairs at Common Man in Ashland is very kid-friendly. Couches, games, foosball (is that how you spell it?), free cheese and crackers. What more could a kid want? Well, besides all that and boilermakers. :eek:

The bar itself probably only has about 10 or so stools. The bar *area* has some much better sections for a crowd such as ourselves to gather.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, the cheese and crackers will keep my girls happy. Looking forward to meeting some of you and re-meeting others. :)

Okay, though I participated in (started?) the joke, now I'm getting uncomfortable...:eek:

Stay Away From the Cub....Back Away Slowly From the Cub... Mama Bear is Dangerous...

Stay Away From the Cub....Back Away Slowly From the Cub... Mama Bear is Dangerous...

It's funny you bring that up. I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally; I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theatre. After an hour I figured I was in the wrong theatre but I kept waiting, cause that's the thing about bear attacks; they come when you least expect it

It's funny you bring that up. I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally; I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theatre. After an hour I figured I was in the wrong theatre but I kept waiting, cause that's the thing about bear attacks; they come when you least expect it

Too funny. :D

I plan to be at the Common Man tomorrow by 6 PM. I'll probably head to the couches upstairs. I look a lot like the dude in my avatar, though I'm told I look a lot younger in person. I plan on getting dinner there, but will probably hold off for awhile until other folks show up.

*bump*

Today's the day - the biggest Views From The Top social event in Ashland history!

As Borat Sagdiyev would say, "great success!"

I think I counted 16 folks last night at Booze and Vittles Night. We hung out for about 3 hours - lots of good vittles were consumed! I think we may have another one of these nights in about a month, by popular demand!

I think it's safe to say that Alex stole the show, telling us about her experiences on Mt. Moriah and Mt. Tom. It's amazing that someone who is 6 years old has hiked more 4Ks than many folks 10 times older!

Photos to come later.

What an exceptional evening! Among many other things, I learned that some people try to drive across mountains in Wales because their Tom-Tom told them to, that there's a "turnpike" from Canaan to Lyme, that there were not one but two old ski areas up on Whiteface, and that the oldest guidebook to the White Mountains is being reprinted. Thank you, <rocket21>, for organizing the gathering. And thank you to everyone for wonderful company, conversation and cheer. I'm sorry I didn't have chances to formally meet everyone; I won't let that happen again.