August 29 (Sat) -- NH48 Finish on Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also don't know of anything that one might call a climber's route on Moosilauke. However, if "running legs" suggests that he might prefer to run, the Carriage Rd might be worth considering. Park at Breezy Point and follow the road up to the ridge between the South and Main summits.

The road is used as a ski and snowmobile route in winter. I haven't been on it in summer in quite a while--others might be able to give you more up-to-date condition reports.

Doug

Agreed. The lower part of the Carriage Road might be a bit wet, but the upper part should be fine, and overall probably the best route for running rather than hiking legs. I will be doing trailwork on the Glencliff Trail on the way up and down, so can look for Hugh at the intersection below South Peak.

PS -- if weather calls for thunderstorms in the afternoon, then we will move our ETA to the late morning and leave earlier. I'll keep an eye on the weather and post accordingly.

Sounds like a plan.

Right now, the long-range forecast is calling for showers all day and temps in the high 60s.

Sounds like a plan.

Right now, the long-range forecast is calling for showers all day and temps in the high 60s.

Showers we can handle. Also, I don't trust any forecast that isn't less than three days before the planned hike. Weather changes so quickly!

Dr. D and DougPaul, I will let Hugh know about the Carriage Route. The downside to that plan is that he has to run more miles that way, but maybe the surface of the trail might make it easier..? I'll let him figure it out.

Dr. D and DougPaul, I will let Hugh know about the Carriage Route. The downside to that plan is that he has to run more miles that way, but maybe the surface of the trail might make it easier..? I'll let him figure it out.
Here is a picture of the Carriage Rd from Dave Metsky's web site: http://hikethewhites.com/moos13/big/m26.jpg (from trip report http://hikethewhites.com/moos13/index.html)

The Carriage Rd between Snapper Tr and the ridge is hiked fairly often in summer.

Doug

WOW way to go ahead of time. I am going to take a look at the calaneder and see if I can make it, it can be Ava's first!

The Carriage Road is a washed out affair with 2 miles of very loose cobbles. IMHO it is okay for hiking but would be disaster for running. The Al Merrill Loop Trail is an evenly graded and very smooth trail that would be great for 3.2 miles of trail running. The Asquam Ridge Trail is a typical White Mountain trail with lots of roots, stone steps and rough and smooth granite stone.

Last edited:
Oh, my, yes -- the forecast for Saturday, August 29 is now calling for three feet of snow and temps in the upper 20s.

No wind, though...

:p

Say it ain't so! We've been turned back from Moosilauke's summit TWICE, due to winter conditions....better not be any damn snow in August!!

It looks like, weather permitting, I'll be looking to do an Assquam/Mousilauke Traverse to bag a bunch of Y Alpine Peaks, will maybe see you on the summit, will most definately see you at the after party if I'm up North that day.

MichaelJ is also a maybe.

:)

I'm pretty sure I'll be there, rain or shine (but not shiny rain... er, lightning). Coming from Montpelier area, what's the best trail to take and place to park?

una_dogger and MichaelJ, sounds great, hope to see you at some point.

Guthook, looking forward to meeting you! Mookie, looking forward to seeing you too at some point in the future.

If there's lightning in the forecast for the afternoon, we're going to hoof it up earlier in the day and hit the summit at 10am or so. I'll post late next week with updates as pertains to the weather.

We are very excited! Thanks for making this special, everyone!!

Last edited:
Hi Trish and Alex! I hope to hike with you on Saturday and get to Mad River's after! If I have to work Saturday I will see if I can leave early enough to see you at the top, otherwise I'll see you in Thornton! Congrats in advance and don't worry about the August snow storm because its going to be a day full of trail-breakers!;)

Hi Eddie, we're finishing on the 29th, so far the weather looks good.

UPDATE:

We're going up Gorge Brook, boots on trail at 8:30am, ETA at summit 1pm (at the latest, we hope).

See original post for edits. :)

Even if you can't hike with them, you still have a way of being there... Please pm me for more details!

Latest posts