Avery & Fire Wardens Trail Conditions? - Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
I receive the following email from a hiking group in GA. Can anyone help them out?

"I was wondering if you are from the NE & could offer some info on
current conditions of Avery & Fire Wardens Trail area?

We are planning a trip there next week, & I was hoping to glean some
advice.
We will have a group of 10 w/ cold weather gear, driving a 15
passenger van (road access?), & won't have snow shoes (waterproof
boots w/ gaiters). We are an adventurous, fit group w/ a WEMT & WFR
tagging along.

Thanks!"

I haven't been up the Fire Warden's trail specifically this year, but I've been skiing at Sugarloaf every weekend and they got 55 inches of snow two weeks ago and about 100 inches total in April....I think it's a very good bet there's still a lot of snow up there. Having done the Firewarden / AT/ Horn loop last May (and 2006 was not a particularly heavy snow year), I think attempting this hike without snowshoes could be a "death march" !! Here's what the Bigelows looked like on April 22nd, from the top of Sugarloaf :

Last edited:
As long as they all step in each other's postholes, it might not be too bad!

Then Marc can come along behind them and smooth it all over with his snowshoes!

We still have plenty of snow at 3000', let alone up to 4000' in an area that got dumped on 3 weeks ago.

The Fire Warden's trail is probably the steepest trail in Bigelow Preserve. It will likely be tricky in places. Road access should be fine, although the closest trailhead to the Fire Warden's trail is down a dirt road that might be gated, requiring an easy road walk.

I talked to their leader, they'll be hiking the trail Tuesday the 8th, so it'll be a few days after me. I'll let the board know how bad the snow up there is. I dont really plan to take FW trail (going up AT) but if conditions are right I'll probably do the whole loop. FW trail was HELL mid March, I don't entirely know what to expect Sunday! Exciting!