Backpacking the Bigelows June 25-26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
king tut Little Bigelow is a great ridgewalk! There are a few spots along the way that give great views towards Sugarloaf, Flagstaff Lake and back towards the rest of the range. Definately worth the trip!

-MEB

It's said that you can see the profile of a lying man in the outline of the Bigelow Range, with the ledges we were descending as the bald head.

Actually, the locals call it the Sleeping Indian...and you can see it's almost perfect outline from the top of Sugarloaf. The Bigelow Range is probably my favorite hike. I enjoy the remoteness, lack of crowds and the views are specatcular...I love it on a clear day when you can see both Katahdin and Washington. Its also fun pointing out my favorite hiking trails to my friends when I'm skiing all winter. I was up there in mid-May trudging through a couple of feet of snow....sounds like conditions have changed substantially ! :D

I tried a new route: Rte 16 all the way to Gorham, then back to I-93 via Rtes 2, 115, and 3. It turned out to be long, 5 hours

Just for your info, I ski about 60 days a year at the Loaf and do that drive from Boston's northshore every weekend (220 miles from my house to my condo) and I've found the quickest and easiest way (I realize this is somewhat oxymoronic) is the Maine Pike north to Rte 295, back onto the Maine Turnpike to Rte 27 through Belgrade Lakes all the way to Carrabassett Valley. I pretty consistently make it in 3:45 on dry roads (all bets are off during a snowstorm...I've had some 7 hour drives !)

Last edited:
back onto the Maine Turnpike to Rte 27

Not right now. The turnpike/I-95 has a bridge under repair and down to only 1 lane in each direction between exits 103 and 109 (Rte 27 is exit 112) leading to really horrible backups like the one I sat in driving up to this hike on Friday night (shoulda mentioned that in the trip report). I hate driving through Auburn and up Rte 4 to 27, but that's the way to go right now until the I-95 bridge reopens all its lanes.

darren said:
Sounds like you guys had a hot trip. I'm bummed that I missed it, but at the same time I am glad that I was kayaking on the cool ocean. ;) - darren

Darren - Maybe a weekend kayak trip in Maine would a fun time! Casco Bay or Damariscotta area if you have an interest in organzing one.

Great report Ivy, the Bigelows are one of my favorite all time places. I have summited each peak twelve times which I think is my number one, though Antler Peak in Washington's Cascades is closing in. I once did a slide show for the Adirondack Mountain Club and inserted a slide of one of the Horns from the other I don't recall which it was North or South but told an audience of hikers many of them 46R's that they we looking at the Beckhorn of Dix from Hough and they bought it. Has anyone else noticed the similarity? One of the great trips was when my wife and I spent two weeks as caretakers in Bigelow Col, use of the cabin is awesome. My wife and I on a night with a full moon climbed Avery at midnight. The moonlight and stars reflecting on Flagstaff Lake was spectacular.

MichaelJ said:
Not right now. The turnpike/I-95 has a bridge under repair and down to only 1 lane in each direction between exits 103 and 109 (Rte 27 is exit 112) leading to really horrible backups like the one I sat in driving up to this hike on Friday night (shoulda mentioned that in the trip report). I hate driving through Auburn and up Rte 4 to 27, but that's the way to go right now until the I-95 bridge reopens all its lanes.

Thanks for the heads up....I'm going to be heading up to my place in a couple of weeks to do some mountain biking and hiking ! I agree that Rte 4 is a pain.....the mileage is shorter, but a lot less highway driving, which I find tougher on my aging eyes at night. FYI, one shortcut going that way is to take a right in Livermore Falls and head up Rte 133, which hooks up again with Rte 4 in Farmington...this one saves you a legitimate 10 to 15 minutes. The Woodsman and Annies are two of my regular stops too !!

AntlerPeak said:
One of the great trips was when my wife and I spent two weeks as caretakers in Bigelow Col, use of the cabin is awesome.

Do they have some sort of guest caretaker program? This sounds like the absolute perfect vacation to me... (though perhaps not for my hubby!)

- Ivy

darren said:
I'm bummed that I missed it

Nah, you're just a bum. :)

With any luck, when you do make it to these peaks it will be cool and bug-free. It really was a spectacular mountain range and I'll do it again someday, certainly.

Plus, if you were there we wouldn't have all fit in that one campsite!

poison ivy said:
Do they have some sort of guest caretaker program? This sounds like the absolute perfect vacation to me... (though perhaps not for my hubby!)

- Ivy
Yes Ivy as you see Michael already posted your answer. Phil Pepin was the contact person when we did it. The M.A.T.C. is a great organization. You have everything you need in that cabin, stove, sink, bunks, library. It is awesome.

Great pics, Mary Ellen.

BTW - tell me, was that big hole in the back of my shorts during the hike, or did my 5-year-old hiking shorts finally give out back here in the laundry???

MichaelJ said:
BTW - tell me, was that big hole in the back of my shorts during the hike, or did my 5-year-old hiking shorts finally give out back here in the laundry???

I noticed that on Sunday when you passed me while hiking up Little Bigelow... but by the time I caught you again I had forgotten about it. I can make you a pretty patch if you want :D

- Ivy

No patch will be necessary. They gave me 5 good years of service. :)

(all those miles? geez, good thing nobody was behind me!)