Best (mass produced)chocolate bar for hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best mass produced chocolate bar for hiking?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
When reviewing my journal for the end of (my)hiking year, I realized how upset I was on our Hancock's trip that my stash of Snickers had easily warped and melted! This despite being in an isolation chamber of my pack far from body heat. It makes me wonder if they've been reformulated. Hey, Oreo's haven't been the same since they did. Anyway, before the age of Power/Clif bars and the like what was everybody's favorite? I thought of some, but if you have another I'd love to hear it. Though I would find Skybar's (ick!) hard to believe. Sorry if this has been done before, but I'm still a newbie to the site.

Trader Joe's Pound Plus with anything added is one honkin' big and thick candy bar. Good for those epic hikes in cold weather. Keep it warm enough so it doesn't break your teeth though. In super-cold weather, anything Reese's (does peanut butter added count?).
Weatherman

Sorry dude, your poll stinks! No Peanut Butter Twix Bars or Reeces Peanut Butter Nut Bars! :D

-Dr. Wu

I've heard that about the ones from UK. We have a friend here whose from Scotland originally and she swears by them that they are much better than ones here in US.

giggy said:
Cadbury's Dairy Milk - has to be ones from the UK or Ireland - the ones here are made by hershey.

"Cadbury's Wholenut" made in the UK gets my vote, I used to get thru 1/2lb bar every hike back there.
....why did they change the formula for North America?

prino said:
"Cadbury's Wholenut" made in the UK gets my vote, I used to get thru 1/2lb bar every hike back there.
....why did they change the formula for North America?

they probably didn't. just can't get it right -

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/cadbury.asp

I know that Guinness brews Bud in ireland and that tastes different as well. It also has more alcohol in it.

I heard that bud brews guinness here, which would explain why that tastes so much better in Ireland.

prolly makes more business sense to do that - rather than ship the finished product.

Milky Way. Whenever I bite into one, it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited.

Is this thread about the best candy bar for hiking, or the best tasting chocolate for those with discriminating palettes? Because I usually can't find a better-tasting source of calories-per-dollar than 2 for a dollar Snickers bars at Market Basket!

Here's a hint, though - keep them in an inside jacket pocket on winter trips so you don't have to break your teeth when biting into one!

I vote for the MARS Bar

These bars have been a regular on by trips for a long time. I believe they are made by Cadbury in the UK. I purchase the dark chocolate verision when I visit my folks in Canada. My supply has been depleted over the summer so it is time to visit Mom again. :)

They may be available on-line in the US