Black Flies - Northern Whites - Moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
While stacking wood the other night, the black flies were quite noticable around dusk. They werent biting but they were thinking about it ;)

My location is the Gorham Randoph town line a few miles north of Barnes Field and Dolly Copp so folks planning a Memorial Weekend trip to the area had best bring their favorite bug remedy.

I am also seeing many fresh moosetrack along the side of RT 2 on the big hill at the townline, so have no doubt the Moose are back out along the roads.

Black flies are also out in full force as of just today in the southeastern White Mtns. as well.

And a moose was hit in Chatham area, near the Province Pond TH. :(

happy trails :)

Saw two moose in Cambridge on Rt. 16 on Wednesday morning on my way to a job in Columbia. Bug season may be a little behind in the way north country. I worked in a swamp for two days and didn't get bit once. The black flies are out though, just not biting.

Been seeing a moose a couple times a week in WV

Seems to be one young male hanging out a little too much on the road on the flats by the Old Waterville Road... I have seen him two or three times this month. On Monday morning, a friend took two marvelous pictures of a young moose running through the yard of the Waterville Elementary school moments after drop-off. In one shot, you can see my wife walking out of the school in the background, head-down and oblivious to Bullwinkle 50 feet away (she admits she was a little focused on other things).

Coincidentally, I thought we had stumbled upon the Moose Graveyard about 200 yards up the Old Waterville Road, as the second moose carcass in a year turned up there last week. A local friend offered the more likely opinion that that is where the road-crews are dumping road-killed animals.

And yes, the blackflies are out and swarming at 1500 feet here... My daughter got a pretty good bite on her neck yesterday, and last night's mountain-bike ride was best done with no stops, as you had to vigorously wave your arms to keep the clouds away.

Its been a hard winter for moose and deer in much of northern New England. With the deep snow both have had to work harder for food. Deer and young of each are often weakening to the point of starvation. To make matters worse, moose are increasingly infected with winter ticks which has taken a toll, especially on the younger moose which don't have quite the volume of blood that enables most healthy adults to survive.

So, if not for your own safety, then for the preservation of the deer and moose which lend so much wild to the wilderness, drive carefully.

... now if only something would inflict those damn black flies ...