black fly with head net?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EJohnsADK

Reaction score
My wife and I are new to the area and looking to start hikeing again early next week on our 3rd high peak. We got full head netting will it be enough for the black flies? We do not want to wait to July when they are on the out we are hopeing to go from 2ers to 10-15ers by winter.

also: we will have long pants and long shirt

I read (in the Wall Street Journal, of all places) that due to the heavy snow and the cold wet spring, this is a bad black fly season (I agree, as I sit here and scratch all my bites).
What your are planning is fine. In fact, I rarely use my headnets except at camp once in a while, thogh my wife uses hers much more frequently .

I would still apply deet to your wrists, neck and to your ankles at the sock line, as it seems that those little buggers love to get in tight by clothes.

It always seems once you get moving they tend to not be so bad, only when you stop for breaks or on a balmy summit.
Good Luck
Rick

I just posted this in the Q&A forum, but I guess it could go here, as well:

Not that I'm complaining !! I figured that this weekend would have been prime time, but I spent Saturday hiking in Crawford Notch and did not see one black fly. I was prepared for the worst...long pants, long sleeve shirt, headnet and 100% deet, but didn't need any of it. Is there something unique to environment around there or is the season getting a late start

EJohnsADK said:
We got full head netting will it be enough for the black flies?
To answer your question, yes, a good head net will keep out biting black flies. I have an OR version, but I'm sure there are others that work too.

Now, for the full effect, you have to tuck and secure at the collar. And of course you have to be able to keep it on, despite its tendancy to diminish cooling air flow to your head.

I hope that answers your question.

EJohnsADK said:
We do not want to wait to July when they are on the out we are hopeing to go from 2ers to 10-15ers by winter.

After last weekend on Seymour the group decided that head netting was the way to go. None of us wanted to pull out a full bug shirt because of the heat. But we were much more inclined to pull out the head net.

I wore my convertible pants with full pants most of the way and a long sleeve breathable shirt because of the sun and bugs. And LOTS AND LOTS of bug spray.

Bug shirt definitely would have been worn if we had been camping.

BTW... don't let Winter hold you back... as far as I'm concerned its the best season of them all. Snowshoeing is the greatest.... and NO BUGS. ;)

-Shayne