Catskill's 3500 Kingston Dinner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heyya

Hey Folks,

Check it out my first post to VFTT! Weeee! My bud Funky Freddy and I have the same peaks to grab before the big dinner. The countdown is on. We're both planning on making it (the dinner and the peaks that is). What paper work is necessary to make it official?

Josef

PS Catskills mountain lion sightings anyone?...

Going to mail the check and form in today, to confirm, this is what I have for our VFTT table

Jay H
Tom Rankin
MCorsar (Matt)
TMax (Terri)
Funkyfreddy (Fred)
Hermit (Ralph)
Maddy H
Coldfeet (David)
Fu Jow Pai Josef)
ajtiv (Al)

The folks I've paid for and selected an entree is Me, Fred, David, and Josef, the rest will send their form and check separately, but you're on my sheet for seating arrangements..

Jay

Pre-Dinner Hike

I've given it some thought and I'm now leaning towards finishing on West Kill before the day of the dinner. This is because:
1) I might as well cherry-pick the day I finish, and who knows, it may rain on the day of the dinner
2) The dinner starts @ 5:45, cocktails @ 4. Considering that people may want to shower and change post-hike, we'll want to be off the trail in the early afternoon, and I don't want to rush on West Kill
3) I would probably have a hard time putting it off that long anyhow!

So... I'll go back to my earlier suggestion of doing a shorter, closer hike before the dinner: my suggestions: Ashokan HP, Overlook, Tremper, Indian Head, something along these lines...

Matt

Matt, I'd be up for Tremper the day of the event. I've always wanted to do that one (and Red Hill) but have not had a half day to do it. But the day of the event would be ideal not to get to sweaty and to do a short hike.

Jay

So, April 9th is coming up fast, does anybody have more concrete plans on what you are doing the day of the dinner and/or on Sunday?

Something nice on Saturday, even Mt Tremper sounds fun if the weather is nice.

Jay

Anyone ever been up Samuels Point 2880'? Easy enough that we can be on time for hors d'oeuvres.Burrough's range Sunday? It's got a view,and it's a bushwhack through open hardwoods.About 6 miles r.t..Also,it's only 22 miles to Kingston from there.

Last edited:
Ralph, thanks for re-starting this thread, as it reminded me that I still haven't sent my check/reservation! :eek: It'll go in the mail tomorrow, hopefully it gets in on time.

I'm up for hiking almost anything that day before the dinner, as long as it's reasonably close by and short.

Matt

I suggest that a lazy day on Saturday is to meet in Phoenicia to do Mt Tremper.. Phoenicia being not far from Kingston (same exit off the thruway).

On sunday, I like Ralph's idea of doing Samuel's Point, maybe we can bushwack to Samuel's Point and then continue to Wittenberg...

Jay

Sounds good Jay.We can follow the ridge to Wittenberg, and either climb the East face that is very steep. Or we can skirt around the mountain,and catch the Woodland Valley trail to the summit,and take the old Van Benschoten trail back to Moonhaw.We got 10" of snow at my house last night,so there will probably be some snow left up there.Bears will be coming out of hibernation by then ,so we will most likely cross some tracks.

Last edited:
Jay and Ralph I would love to tag along both days.
Maybe next we can finalize start times etc.
This should be a fun weekend.
Old friends and friends that I have not yet met
and if I camp Saturday night I don't have to deal with cooking dinner :D
Al

Harry, there's free camping on Peekamoose rd....

You're welcome to join our hiking crew, but we'll warn you beforehand that we're not hitting any 3500' peaks, except perhaps Wittenberg. We're just hitting mtns that have nice views and such. Should get Adrian to make the trip again!

P.S. Are you join Ed and I to do the Devil's Path on April 30th? We'll be training with heavy bricks and lead weights!

Jay

You can easily get me to come down if you get me some more of that good food like the last trip! I'm finding out there are better places to get food besides Stewarts & Irving convenience stores. Just no more HarryK valet parking service. :)

Harry PM me maybe I can do some peakbagging
Let me know what is left for you.
We can pick up 4 quickly with the east side of devils Path Indian Head, Twin Sugarloaf and Plateau.
Or do the Peekamoose Table and bushwacks across Lone rocky, Balsam cap and Friday with cars spotted. for some reason I like the longer hikes the best.

Thats 10 in two days
I am thinking about a third, Maybe Hunter and SW hunter and if you are still standing Rusk or Westkill.
Al

Last edited:
harryk said:
EH!!!..what was wrong with my valet parkin service eh?????
OH Yeah now i remember ;) :).....righto folks, you do not want me parkin your vehicles :)....so sponge can ya get the fri off as well, if so we will have to get in touch with "The Planner" so we know what the hell were doin eh! :) ;) ...harryk....defintely need 8 in 3 days this time though sponge, no wuzzin out on the 3rd day and only gettin one :)..hk

Harry and Sponge,

Are you guys going to the Dinner too?

If I hike Saturday, I've got to be back in Kingston (clean!) by 4:00 or so.

Sunday might work too...

At least, we could try to have a cold one together sometime that weekend!

P.S. A lot of wet snow fell last night in the Cats! Up to a foot I hear! But it's melting fast! Any day now, it will be mud season! :eek:

Harry,

I'll likely be up for a peak or three on Sunday after the sumptious dinner. I've been known to partake of Ye Olde Hops n' Barley occasionally as well. Look forward to meeting you on this or one of your subsequent Catskill visits. I may be hiking w/ your "planner" this weekend so I may be able to help her dream up an appropriately grueling/fun/efficient itinerary for you. If you're in Kingston, maybe you'll get a chance to try the local Keegan's Ale. It's not bad. :cool:

Al, I've been wanting to get back to Indian Head (my 1st Catskill high peak, snif) and Twin for a while. You just don't slow down, do you? :eek:

Matt

harryk said:
OOOHHHHH i justa love playin in the mudd eh ;) :)..
look forward to the Kats in a couple of weeks, just make sure we all bring some local brews eh :) :)...hk

Just remembered I have to be back in Pok-e-town by 4 on Sunday too. Dang, I hate it when life gets in the way of hiking! :D