Conditions in Blue Hills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I may go for a short hike in the Blue Hills tomorrow. Should I bring my microspikes along? Or, point of fact, might snowshoes be useful (there is quite bit of snow in Boston).

Thanks!!

12" snow in Waltham MA

I just measured 11-12" in my front yard in Waltham. This after 1.5 days time for it to settle and consolidate. Hard to find a spot I can reach not covered by snowbanks where I can stick the tape measure in.

Should I bring my microspikes along? Or, point of fact, might snowshoes be useful
Thanks!!

I would bring both- I'm in Brookline and we have a good 12-18" on the ground- the temps dipped yesterday and there are many crusty & icy spots-

When I can't be in NH I will often go to the Blue Hills... I would expect some deep snow pockets and on the more exposed, rocky parts of trails some crusty ice.

Hiked from Hillside Ave to Rt. 28 and back. Out by the Skyline Trail, back by the Bugbee Path.

Skyline was reasonably well packed, Bugbee (and other carriage roads) was much softer. I used snowshoes the whole way.

Some "interesting" descents; steep and a thin layer of powder over slanting rocks :eek: No icy patches, but the crampons of my snowshoes were very welcome on some steep pitches with hard packed snow.