CT/Mass Hike 4/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Okay, I'll be staying in Albany Thursday night, and would like to hike in the Berkshires Friday. Here's my idea-do a car spot at the Race Brook Falls trailhead, drive to and hike up the Undermountain Trail to the AT, traverse from Bear Mountain to Everett and back down to the car spot. If this happens, it'll be my first state border crossing on a hike!

I got this idea because Dr. Wu mentioned that he'd be in the Berkshires that day. He may or may not still be in, but now it looks like Percious will be up for this, w/ his little guy in tow. I don't know the area at all, and just got the hike idea from a trail guide and got some positive responses to questions about it on another thread. Wu also mentioned in a pm some other small side trips which could maybe be added on.

Matt

I can confirm that I am in on this one. Anyone interested in an overnight at Macedonia State Park (car camping) let me know. I have an extra 2 person tent and sleeping pad(s).

Are you guys interested in going for your CT Highpoint? I am pretty sure we can get there from bear without a bushwhack.

FYI though my little one is tow, he will need to stretch his legs on some of the flat sections. Expect to hike about 1/4 normal speed for these parts.

-percious

Okay, Dr. Wu is out-the Whites are calling him. Geez, Wu, and you think list people are obsessive... :D
Percious, I would definitely like to hit the CT high point if possible, and the speed of this hike is not an issue either. If we go slower when your son is walking, that's fine. I kinda figured you might want to go a little slower when carrying him. I'll just be happy to have a nice day in the hills and woods.
Can we meet at the Race Brook Falls trailhead at 9 AM? I want to make sure I have enough time to get there from Albany and find the place.

Matt

FWIW, the weight of my son does not usually slow me down relative to other hikers. I probably rate about book time with him on my back. Race Brook falls at 9 sounds fine, then we can switch cars and go on down to the Under Mountain trail. This is good, because we will be will get to go down Sage's ravine.

Most likely, we will not be able to throw in the CT high point, because it would take too much effort to achieve given the location of our cars, and the relatively late start. I would say if you are going for HP we would want to concentrate on that, and not do Everett. Personally, I think I would rather go for Everett, but that is just because I have the HP already.

If you want to find a campsite more towards Mass, then we could shoot for Greylock too. There are lots of trails up there I have yet to explore. Not sure if you would appreciate the drive all the way back to New Paltz on Sunday.

-percious

Great Hike!

Hiked most of the day with my son on my back. 12 Miles 3200 Feet of climbing, and we visited one of the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen.

Pictures are up: www.percious.com/hiking (look towards the bottom). I have recently updated a ton of pictures (28 albums now) so please take a look around if you havn't been to my site in a while. Chances are there is something you have not seen yet.

Thanks to Matt for a great day, and putting up with a whiney-at-times baby. If anyone finds a wide-brim baby hat in the area, that would be mine!

-percious

New to Forum

Great forums!
Have not hiked the AT in almost 30 years and am about to take my two boys on a trip from Lions Head to Sages Ravine.
Hiked it many times in my teens but am hoping to get an update on conditions. Sounds like Sages is a lot more traveled these days, is the water potable, can you still have fires, and is this a reasonable first hike for my 13 and 15 year old (in very good shape). Thank you.

Welcome! I think your kids will be fine. The up and down isn't too bad. It was my first time in the area and I found it beautiful, especially Sage's and the Race Brook Falls area. There was a shelter/camping area sort on the way up out to Mt. Race as you're climbing out of Sage's. There was a lockable bear-box for food. I was also impressed w/ the level of upkeep on that section of the AT. Chris (Percious) drank water from the brook in Sage's, but he did treat it with his pen-thingy that blasts the nasties w/ ultraviolet radiation-I forget what it's called. I don't know about open fires in that area.

Matt

filter and boil Sage's water. It's a short hike up the stream to the pond that feeds it. Race should be cleaner. you can hike in or out the under mountain trail or sages ravine/brook if you want to get in or out quicker. south of the AT on Sages are some great pools to swim and jump into - insert strong caution advisory here - but we all survived. there's also an active black bear in the area so take normal safe food precaution. it's a great area.

Thank You

Chip / mcorsar:
Thank you for the information.
A couple of follow-ups.
I can't find trail maps for the Lions Head Sages section, any ideas? Do they have them at the Under Mountain trailhead?
Also, I think I recall hiking from just before Lions Head, to Sages Ravine in one day (think it was 6 miles +/-) . Can either of you validate that? Finally, how concerned should I be about the bear? Has he/she hurt anyone or caused any damage? Thanks again for the information.

1193 said:
Chip / mcorsar:
Finally, how concerned should I be about the bear? Has he/she hurt anyone or caused any damage?

No worries during the day. It took a pack out of a couples small tent vestibule after they thought they had scared it off. So it's not easily frightened. Normal safe food handling (no melted M&M's in your pockets, etc.) and a well hung bear bag or well placed (away from the tent) bear canister are required at night. Don't let it stop you, you'll probably never see it.

Thanks to all

Thank you for all the input, will try and get a map this weekend. If anyone knows how I can find out if fires are allowed in Sages Ravine or Race Mountain please let me know. Poison Ivy; Small world, I'm in Mansfield as well. I'll keeping an eye out for a hiker in full gear searching for white blazes in town!!

1193: We may be the only two hikers in town! :)

CT doesn't allow fires at its campsites along the AT, so no fires at Sages Ravine. I'm not sure about Mt. Race, but I know Massachusetts doesn't have similar restrictions (there was a fire ring at the Hemlocks shelter north of Mt. Everett but not at the Laurel Ridge campsite, as I recall...)

Have a great trip!
-Ivy

Race Brook Falls Trail

I purchased the AT book and maps for CT & MA today. Am thinking that the Race Brook Falls trail from Highway 41 to the Bear Rock Falls campsite might be a good first hike for my boys in a couple of weeks. Looks like about a six mile hike. Could anyone comment on this for a two day hike (round trip)? Specifically, long short? is ther camping all along the Race mountain ridge if Bear Rock Falls campsite is being used? And finally have there been bear sitings in this area? Thank you all again for all your help.