digital camera - batteries, cold.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My camera (Nikon D100) uses a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery. I charged it Fri night and took it hiking Sat and Sunday taking over 200 photos. The battery still shows that it is fully charged.

Darl58 said:
I own a Canon Powershot S45 and the lithium battery has been dying constantly. I have emailed Canon and lithium batteries do not hold well in the real cold.
Lithium rechargables typically do fairly well in the cold (although not as well as Lithium non-rechargables). There are at least 2 technologies of lithium rechargable: lithium ion and lithium polymer. The more common ion technology does better in the cold than does the polymer technology. See http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm for detailed info. (This is a rather technical source, but is is quite understandable by a layman.) I have excerpted some info on the topic in the thread "Best rechargeable batteries in winter", this forum. (My excerpt refers to the lithium ion battery, not the lithium polymer.)

It is also possible that the problem is in the camera, not the battey.

Doug

Last edited:
lithium batteries

I have a back up battery that I switch out from my pocket and that too goes dead. As I stated Canon has been using a newer lithium battery on the new cameras that is stronger. It also has to do with the camera that has the slide cover to turn on which uses power opening the zoom lenses.

I have read quite a bit about this issue and I am not alone. The more basic the camera, obviously the less power needed. When the temp goes down to 0 or minus, mine is useless. Also the more your batteries have been used the quicker they go down and recover less with time. The new battery that was recomended from Canon is the NB-2LH, it's just an expensive option. ($70)

I also use mine scuba diving in the canon housing and have to be concerned with battery strength due to the camera has to be on the minute it goes in the underwater housing. I have tried shutting the LCD off and it does help some, but the LCD is needed for some shots.