Fiddlehead (Ostrich Fern) Toxicity?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
One of the great delights of spring are the unfurled fiddleheads of the ostrich fern, which grow wild in this area in late April and May. You can find them in wet areas along streams and rivers. I'll never eat them again. I apparently undercooked them this weekend or got the wrong kind of fern. It took 24 hours for the toxicity to wear off and the acute GI reaction to subside. If you're tempted to harvest them for your backpack dinner or any other dinner, do some research first on types and cooking times. I can't offer advice because I don't know what I did wrong.

Waumbek said:
One of the great delights of spring are the unfurled fiddleheads of the ostrich fern, which grow wild in this area in late April and May. You can find them in wet areas along streams and rivers. I'll never eat them again. I apparently undercooked them this weekend or got the wrong kind of fern. It took 24 hours for the toxicity to wear off and the acute GI reaction to subside. If you're tempted to harvest them for your backpack dinner or any other dinner, do some research first on types and cooking times. I can't offer advice because I don't know what I did wrong.
Wow! I eat fiddleheads like a bandit from like, May till about late June when they finally go away and I can't get them at Whole Foods anymore. I've never heard anything about them being toxic though... maybe I'll try eating about a pound or two of them raw tonight (I have about 100lbs of them in my fridge). I have never tried harvesting myself them during a hike though but I've heard of plenty of people doing that and nobody has reported getting sick or dying.

Here's a link. Wow, I'm going to try this tonight for sure -- day off from work tomorrow!

I hope you feel better though!

-Dr. Wu

I've only ever tried fiddleheads bought from a Hannafords, but the link that Dr Wu posted does state a CDC warning in it... :)

Find that they sort of taste like a chunky spinach and quite nice. Sorry to hear about your gastronomic distess. I second Dr. Wu's get well soon wishes!

Jay

Sorry to hear you were ill Waumbek! :(
Sounds like you've picked them before, so I wonder what was different this time.

There was a thread on this on the AMC board...someone else had gotten sick, but apparently they had picked the wrong fern. Ostrich ferns have a brown, shiny, paper like "skin" and the fern itself is green, shiny and firm. If it's fuzzy, it's not a fiddlehead.

My wife and several friends became ill with massive gastrointestinal distress after a meal in a local eatery which is usually listed among Northern New England's finest. The menu item which they had in common was a fiddlehead salad in which the fiddleheads were lightly sauteed. We had heard of fiddlehead problems in the past, but when we called both the restaurant and the board of health and mentioned our suspicions, they treated us like we were nuts.

I have never cooked them. So being "undercooked" shouldn't be a problem. Both store bought and hand picked. I suspect it is more likely that you got the wrong type but it is also possible that a new food could cause some one gastric distress. I suppose your problem could be either one.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Glad to hear your feeling better.

Maybe trying it again, with a smaller amount, knowing that the right fern was picked would have a better outcome?

Keith

Thanks, all. I've eaten them for years with no problem, always cooked, as these were. I've picked and bought them. These were bought, and now I'm suspecting that there were a few different (bad) kinds in there rather than undercooked. The two other people who ate them had exactly the same response so at least we can blame the fiddleheads! It's all academic for me for now, however. I can't even think of eating them again without feeling ill so I better sign off before......argh-h-h-h

Oh dear ... I *adore* fiddleheads, especially as you describe (lightly sauteed). I'll have to do some research and think about the risks. If Dr. Wu survives, though, I'll take my chances. :)

MichaelJ said:
Oh dear ... I *adore* fiddleheads, especially as you describe (lightly sauteed). I'll have to do some research and think about the risks. If Dr. Wu survives, though, I'll take my chances. :)
I can totally understand Waumbek not wanting to eat fiddleheads again. If I got sick from them I'd loathe them as well. I remember when I was a kid I'd lure ducks over with bread and then I'd spit on them. One day one of the ducks bit me and well, I just turned 30 and I haven't spit on a duck in a long long time. At least 15 years!

I'm going to keep eating fiddleheads. Toxic shmoxic until I get sick I guess. Hey, I remember in Cat's Cradle some people developed a tolerance to drinking acetone so I figure I can eat anything.

-Dr. Wu

I suspect that it was something on the fiddleheads rather than the ferns themselves. Fruits and vegetables can be infected with things as them make their way from where they are picked to the store that sells them. Salmonella is one bug that can be spread through human contact. If someone picking the fiddleheads had it and handled the ferns, it could have passed to you.

Here's one news story about tainted produce.

www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/94-08022004-341430.html

Anybody else have the Charlie Daniel's band humming through their head while reading this thread?

:D

Jay

I regularly eat fiddleheads raw (all fern types), and have done so for years. I usually just munch two or three, though. According to various edible food guides no US species are rated toxic. HOWEVER...

... there is a substantial body of evidence, contradictory as to species, to indicate that they have been implicated in stomach cancers, especially in Japan and N. Wales. This is for regular consumption in large quantities (bracken fern in particular seems to be iffy).

For all that, they are also highly nutritious!

I went fiddleheadin' last night. My "secret" spot is very popular and usually is picked over pretty good. People make money sellin' 'em to stores. I did get a nice mess for me - I sauted some in olive oil and sesame oil with sliced grape tomatoes, garlic and a little wheat germ, cooked up some deer chops for a nice meal. I only pick enough to eat now, I don't like them frozen. Tonights fiddleheads will be sauted in butter and garlic...

My other "secret" place still has a stream blocking the way...the ferns will be unfurled by the time I can get to them. Which makes me wonder...since we had two floods this year (I'm talking Kennebec, since that's where I go) I wonder if the river toxins really saturated the ferns and increased the toxicity - I did notice they are smaller and fewer this year.

Waumbek said:
Well, Dr Wu, if you want to fiddle while Rome burns, what can I say? Seriously, if you tox out, can I have your very cool username? You all heard it if he says yes.
I ate a whole bunch of fiddleheads last night and I think I'm still alive. At least I didn't die too much. I think I can keep my username. Does the real Doctor Wu tox out in the song? You didn't cook your fiddleheads in strychnine or anything? I heard that can get you sick.

I'm going to eat some more tonight.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
You didn't cook your fiddleheads in strychnine or anything? I heard that can get you sick. -Dr. Wu

Rats! That must be it. Never occurred to me that the strychnine sautee might not work. I'll try them in DEET next time. On the username legacy, just to be sure, that was a "no," right?

Fitz said:
Our wetlands are not very clean. Here's a report of similar illnesses.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00032588.htm
That is very possible . I have seen some strange growth patterens in trees cut near a wet land . I wondered what was in the nearby swamp but them maybe I really do not want I know. I know I sure would not eat anything that grew near . No I did not see any mutant frogs or salamamders. But then I did not go looking to hard i will admit I did look around a bit . I did show some samples of the growth rings to the DEP they thought they were strange also They have some one testing the water and soil at that site . If I can Itry to use a digital camera to take a Digital photo of it . I think it is due to what ever is in the water.
Waumbeck I hope it does not happen again If you od cook more. I enjoy them too.
I think you can buy them now. not sure.

Sewage

Well, that could be the case too, but I was thinking more along the lines of sewage. In urban areas and some not so urban areas, heavy spring rains can lead to overflow of combined sewers and sometimes treatment plants can't handle the flow or have accidental releases of untreated sewage. This ends up in our rivers and wetlands. Also there is the issue of agricultural fields - spreading of manure this time of year, and grazing livestock are sources of coliform bacteria.