First Sister of Chocorua, lots of wildlife

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Champney Falls Trail to First Sister of Chocorua, lots of wildlife

It was a nice night camping, then hiking with Mrs. Forestgnome. I've decided to refrain from detailed locations of wildlife sightings for fear of aiding hunters who might look here for clues. (Please, no hunter flaming!)

On the way to the campsite...

z.jpg

We also saw a bull scamper across the road. Camping was nice and quiet as we had wine and a small fire and listened to an owl.

In the morning we saw a beautiful sight on the way to the trailhead...

6-30-07-004z.jpg

We hit the trail fairly early. This was Cheryl's first hike to First Sister, which is my favorite summit. Feeling lucky, we decided to check a bog in the area for moose. Cheryl is not a bushwacker and we weren't dressed for serious off-trailing, but I convinced her that it was easy going. Bingo! This bull let us slowly walk into the area without budging. He didn't take a single step the whole time we visited. He just watched us walk in and walk away...

7-03-07-012z.jpg

7-03-07-017zzz.jpg

swamp candles...

7-13-07-002z.jpg

Back to the trail, we made our way up to the switchbacks without visiting the falls because it is extremely dry right now, all brooks are really low. The Middle Sister Cut-Off Trail is very pretty, with lots of wood sorrel, clubmoss, bunchberry, and blue bead lilly...

7-07-07-023zzz.jpg

Fist Sister is a beautiful summit. It's covered in rhodora in early spring, then in early summer then bog laurel blooms...

7-14-07-041z.jpg

continiued...

Last edited:
Cheryl in the col...This is where I saw the tracks of a lynx chasing a rabbit back in February.

7-14-07-047z.jpg

Up on the summit we relaxed and took pictures...

7-14-07-064zzz.jpg

Looking east...There where some threatening clouds, but nothing happened...

7-14-07-085zzz.jpg

mountain daiseys...

7-14-07-092z.jpg

laurel and krumholz...

7-14-07-082z.jpg

Reluctantly headed back down, couldn't talk Cheryl into another bushwack over to a moose area, but we did get lucky again on the drive home. This healthy looking two year old (?) bull crossing the road...

7-03-07-056z.jpg

Happy Trails

Nice report! I always enjoy your pics and trip descriptions! Keep them coming!

Last edited:
Sisters

Outstanding as always! I feel lucky if I see a moose on the side of the road and you seemingly walk right up to them. I imagine having a dog with me all the time puts a damper on seeing a lot of wildlife. In all the hiking we've done, we've seldom seen deer and only twice seen moose on the trails. The dog scent must get to them long before we do. Also, 2 people and a dog make a lot more noise than one hiker I guess. Keep shooting and sharing, we all look forward to seeing your stuff!

KDT

Hey, what's with the human in these photos?!?!? I think we've seen your boots once and now a whole person? ;)

Excellent work as always. Maybe we can have you find out if there are elusive pumas / mountain lions living in New England... if anyone could get close it's you.

Tim

Great pics!

Enjoyed your neat wildlife and flower pics! From what trail did you approach the First Sister? ;)

Very nice! I hope we get that lucky this weekend, although, it may be a bit difficult with us and our dog, possibly my daughter too. Not sure yet but we're hoping to hit Hale or Mt Tom and Mt Field, depends upon who wants to do what. Anyways those are all great pictures.