Hike the 49 NH 4Ks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
If Killington VT secedes and becomes part of NH, do we add Killington Peak (4241') to the list of NH 4Ks? (That's a very big "if," of course.) I guess one analogy would be NH mountains that get re-measured and found to be above 4K, or "grow" over 4K.

Last edited:
And would you have to hike it again for it to count toward the expanded NH list? or would previous climbs transfer?

This gets very complicated!

I heard an uncorroborated rumor that if you hike(d) Killington naked, it counts for just about everything.

Waumbek said:
If Killington VT secedes[/URL] and becomes part of NH, do we add Killington Peak (4241') to the list of NH 4Ks?
Remember, now, that the 48 is a list of White Mountain 4000 Footers, not NH 4000 Footers, so I would think Killington would still be in the Green Mountains, regardless. Of course, now I have to ask, shouldn't Old Speck be #49?

Tramper Al said:
Of course, now I have to ask, shouldn't Old Speck be #49?

Here's the official bureaucratic answer given on the link you included:

"Although many people refer to this list as the New Hampshire 4000-Footers, it is officialy known as the White Mountain 4000-Footers. Some might argue that the former is more technically correct because the list does not include Old Speck (4170'), which might be considered part of the White Mountians geologically or geographically (and is included in the AMC White Mountain Guide). However, it is not within the boundaries of the White Mountain National Forest and is sufficiently distant from any other 4000-footer in the Whites to warrant exclusion."

So, if it's the WMNF 4Ks, then Killington is out (if VT secedes). If custom prevails and it's the NH 4Ks, Killington's eligible? Does anybody really think of this list as the WMNF 4Ks? My certificate (from the 1980s) says "4K Club of the White Mountains." Nothing about WMNF. The name "White Mountains" was around long before the NF. More trouble brewing here.... :eek:

Last edited:
Its an interesting question, but rather moot I think. From everything everyone is saying about the whole thing it would take everything short of a miricale from God to get the secesion from happening.
BUT, I know they are the WHITE MOUNTAIN 4000 footers, but is that because all the 4000frs are only in the WMNF? Are there any mountains here in NH outside of the WMNF that are above 4000 ft? :confused:
Brian

NewHampshire said:
Are there any mountains here in NH outside of the WMNF that are above 4000 ft? :confused:
Brian

Now that's another sticky question. Cannon (4100'), for instance, is in Franconia Notch State Park, under state jurisdiction, not WMNF. That's why you don't have to have a WMNF parking pass or US Golden Age Pass to park at trailheads in Franconia Notch.

The Moosilauke summit, and much of the terrain around the mountain are privately owned. It's an inholding in the WMNF, does it count? I don't think there are any other privately owned 4000'ers in the Whites, but much of Franconia, Crawford, and Pinkham Notches are state land.

-dave-

Well If it is White Mt 4,00ft peaks than Old Speck should be on the list as it is geogrpahicaly and geologicaly part of the White mountains . If the NH Boarder moved East a few Miles to Inlcude Old Speck would it count ? What about the Bigalowes ? or Sugarloaf in ME are they part of the White Mountains Geologlicaly or geographicaly . Killington is not geologically or even geographically close to being part of the White Mountains . .
Curiosity get the best of me how far has that seccsion move really gotten . I know that the the State of NH welcomed the idea in the past of at least the former "Govna " did ?
Is there a patch for climbing all the high points in New England even the most "dangerous" in RI

Double Bow said:
You can actually legaly climb Jerimoth Hill (highest point in RI) between 8am-5pm on 5/29, 7/3, 9/4, or 10/9 this year. Be sure to bring lots of rope! :D
From My understanding of thge "danger " Sacasm alert ! My 50 caliber Desert Eagal and a kevalar vest( let me see if the local cops will let me borrow one) would be a better bet than rope Shoot out on Jerimoth Hill . I read some wher the owenrs went a nuts and sahot some guys with buck shot or something like that . Nice folks :rolleyes: maye I'll give it a Shot pun double entndre intended in Sept . I think I will ask VVFTr to join me on this one . Once again mild jokimg but we sure would make the deadly trail safer .
I really do not hike with that beast of a gun or any fire arm . Though it will stop a bear or most anything . ;)
Please not this is ment to be sarcastic mild black humor not a serious thing . So do not go getting all fired up about hiking and guns

Last edited:
David Metsky said:
The Moosilauke summit, and much of the terrain around the mountain are privately owned. It's an inholding in the WMNF, does it count? I don't think there are any other privately owned 4000'ers in the Whites, but much of Franconia, Crawford, and Pinkham Notches are state land.
Dartmouth also used to own the summit of Mt Washington, which it sold to the state of NH. So the HP of the WMNF is not the summit of Mt Washington but somewhere on the park boundary probably near the Trinity Heights Connector.

RoySwkr said:
Dartmouth also used to own the summit of Mt Washington, which it sold to the state of NH.
I though Dartmouth still owns a small patch of the summit, that the Yankee Building sits on, due to a lease of the land. I believe Dartmouth got ownership of part of the summit when they were given the Cog RR way back when.

-dave-

'tis a moot point

on my map, the summit of Killington Peak is in the town of Mendon, not the town of Killington (formerly Sherburne). So even if the town were to successfully secede, which I can't see the state ever allowing, the peak would still be in Vermont.

But just imagine the revenue that New Hampshire could get from a toll booth on each end of Route 4, another one on Route 100 North, and the mother of all liquor stores right at the foot of the access road!

Steve,

What map are you looking at? The only one I have here at the office is from 1863 when it was still called Sherburne and the peak is about a quarter of a mile inside Sherburne. Little Killington and Mendon Peak are in Mendon though. That's not to say the line hasn't been redrawn in the last 150 years.

RFG1 wrote: "What about the Bigalowes ? or Sugarloaf in ME are they part of the White Mountains Geologlicaly or geographicaly . Killington is not geologically or even geographically close to being part of the White Mountains . . "

The mountains in the Rangeley, Maine, area are made up of similar rocks to those found in the Presidential Range; in fact, recent geologic mapping in the Presi's has adopted the rock unit names from the Rangeley area. Ktadn, however, is geologically different from the White Mountains.

it's still moot

Rugger said:
Steve,

What map are you looking at? The only one I have here at the office is from 1863 when it was still called Sherburne and the peak is about a quarter of a mile inside Sherburne. Little Killington and Mendon Peak are in Mendon though. That's not to say the line hasn't been redrawn in the last 150 years.

It's a Delorme Atlas from a few years ago. Now that I look at it again, the summit is very close to the town line, so I guess it could be on either side.

but even so, I don't see any way that Vermont would ever let a goldmine like that get away.

From my understanding Killington wants to join NH. I looked at a map of New England, Killington and countless towns will have to join NH. Do I have this correct? Or will Killington be the only town and will be the only town in U.S. to be separated from its parent state.
This made me rememeber Vermont was an independant republic before joing the United States in 1791. They probably have also thought of the Republic of Killington etc.
On the subject of mountain ranges & rocks. The White Mountains and Maine are two subranges of the Appalachians. They can't be part of the NH 4K. Because if you included Katahdin like Dr. Dasypodidae mentioned its is separate due its geology.
This includes the Rangleys and the Biglows, and Spencers etc. The reason is also because it's separate statewise. Geologlywise a rock can be the same thing on the Presis and be the same in Maine but there is differant formation structure. Mt. Killington will be part of the Vermont 4K for geograpahical reasons.

Last edited: