hiking sandals?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Does anybody ever use hiking sandals? If so, how do you like them? Any particular trail in the Whites where you might be more likely to use them than others?

I like to have ankle support so it I were to buy a pair, I would have to wear ankle wraps with them. Any suggestions?

It depends on how you define "hiking" and "sandals"

My entire family is partial to Keen Newport sandals (and the price for those, on 1/16/08 at least, is great), and I wouldn't hesitate to wear them for a casual walk on a graded path... they're extremely comfortable, supportive, airy, and have pretty good grip. On the other hand, they absolutely drive me to distraction on sandy surfaces (constantly having to stop and shake your feed to redistribute the grit), walking in the woods (where small sticks routinely find their way in the gaps), or over any kind of uneven, rocky surface (neither the grip nor the support are that good).

I will admit to a princess-and-the-pea level of foot sensitivity (maybe I have a feetish?), but for anything beyond your basic suburban stroll, I personally prefer a good pair of enclosed approach shoes. There are some very well ventilated shoes out there, so you don't need to roast the piggies to provide a modicum of protection from the elements.

Appalachian Trail

I met and spent some time with an older couple (late 50s) who hiked the entire AT this past summer in nothing but Keen Newports. They said that wearing them with good thick socks stopped most of the pebble problems, but with all the mud and stream fording in Maine they sometimes eliminated the socks. but then they were prone to blisters during long sockless periods. Their trail names were Swartz and Quartz. I'm considering them for the Maine portion of my upcoming SOBO on the AT.

I have hiked Monadnock wearing my Tevas and Keens with no problems at all. Very comfortable.

I've hiked in the Grand Canyon and in Utah in Tevas - but they are a really neat design, with the toe part curled up just enough to spare my toes from being stubbed, and a footbed that feels a bit spongy, with no slipping. I got them at Sierra Trading for $15 some years ago - I got lucky.

The trouble with Keens is, sand and rocks are a pain to remove, unlike open sandals. Other than that, they are great too - just get them big enough so your toes don't touch the front at all.

I hiked in Chacos once... when I got to the trailhead and realized I had forgotten my boots. :eek: It was a chilly spring day (upper 40s?) with mud and even a little snow on the ground, but I hiked up and down Mt. Cube, about 8 miles, and was in surprisingly good shape at the end, though my feet were soaked. I hiked without socks, but feet tend to withstand cold pretty well. I don't know that I would want to do much more in them than 8 miles, mainly b/c the straps were chafing the tops of my feet.

I'll put another vote for the Keens.
I like the enclosed toe, nice footbed as well.

I backpacked in my Tevas for a couple days when we were in New Zealand... it was too rainy at the time to bother with boots (there was one bay crossing, which was up to our knees and a few little streams as well.) I didn't have any trouble all but kept any eye on my feet much of the way to make sure I wasn't going to stub my toe on a rock or stab myself with a stick or something.

Keens are comfortable for small excursions, but I like the ankle support from a full boot. Keens are also good when you know you might get your feet wet, like a warm day fishing and hiking trip -- where you might wade knee-deep. I wear them (or go barefoot) around Great Island (Lake Sunapee) when we're out there. No roads or anything 'graded' but there is a mile foot path around the island. I have the H2s.

I agree with the sand and sticks being a nuisance and will further offer that they (mine at least) get stinky rather easily.

Tim

Thru Hiker endorsed Keene

I met an AT through hiker at Zealand in August. He hiked in Keene with the toe bumper end (sorry, I did not know the model). He generally hike without socks.

Funky Keen offgassing

bikehikeskifish said:
I agree with the sand and sticks being a nuisance and will further offer that they (mine at least) get stinky rather easily.

God, yes. Stink doesn't cover it, Tim... even my 8-year-old's relatively sweat-free feet can turn a pair of Keens into a funk-fest in a matter of a few (warm) days. My wife has taken to an aggressive campaign of running them through the washing machine, which works pretty well, and which Keens stand up to just fine.

W/R/T the Keen toe bumper -- that's their "key feature" and it is on every sandal, shoe, and boot the sell. It really saves the nasty stubs that come with any open-toed sandal. I used to be a devotee of Tevas, but Keens have changed all that.

Just saw an ad for Sanuk sandals. (www.sanuk.com)
The theory behind them is they allow the foot to flex naturally, thus strengthening the foot muscles over time.