Hiking with Baby

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabina

Reaction score
Hi All-It's been a while since I've been on this site and I see a lot of new faces. Used to date a guy in Boston and we'd go hiking a lot in the Whites, and this group was a great resource. If there was one like down here in Virginia, we'd be lucky. But since there isn't, hope you don't mind helping out! : )

My husband and I are thinking of taking a trip to Seattle with our 14 month old son. We'd like to do some hiking, esp. in Mt. Ranier Natl Park, as well as some other places. The problem is that our son hated the backpack style carriers when we tried them on at REI so we got an Ergo (kind of like a bjorn but worn on your back) instead. Even in that, he's happy for about an hour max, and we'd like to be able to go on at least a 3-4 hour hike with him.

Has anyone else had this experience? How did you get your child to stay content for a longer time?

Thanks!
Sabina

Hi Sabina,

My almost 9 month old LOVES to hike in his Deuter KangaKid. He's never been in a Kelty-type carrier, though, so we have no basis for comparison. I can tell you that this pack keeps him very close to me and gives us enough pack volume to take plenty of gear and food.

I'm not sure if your little one's issue is the pack or the entertainment. Certainly my little one likes to have a toy (rattle) attached to one of the dangling straps, to play with.

Hope that helps a bit . . .

Sabina,

Welcome! Last weekend I took my 22 month old on an 8 hour hike. Our pack is a "tough traveler." The pack by itself is about 4 lb, which suits me. Colden has been going on hikes with me since he was six weeks old, and now he shouts "Hiking! Hiking!" everytime he knows we are about to go. So, I guess starting them young is a good idea, but every kid is different, maybe yours just doesn't like to be in the pack...

Some things too look out for:

Colden whines when he gets cold. If it is 50 degrees out, you still have to bundle them up because they aren't moving.

Have a ready supply of crackers or other treats for your kid. A full baby is a happy baby.

Have a juice cup ready, I tie mine with a long string to the pack so that it is "on belay"

Pretty soon your little baby will be able to tell you what he/she wants by name!

Sing songs to them. Make up games like jumping (My son cracks up for that). Give them a leaf, point out animals and trees and streams....

Sometimes, you just have to live through the whining. If you are lucky, they will sleep, but giving into the whines is not always the right thing. If you have done everything you can do to keep them happy, just hike on a bit. I understand the crying in the ear is a bit annoying, but sometimes they just have to get used to something...

-percious

I've taken my son (20 months old) on a few day trails in my home state. These trails are usually about 2 or 3 hour long hikes. No problem really, I just make sure to stop every hour and take him out of the pack for a little bit, give him a quick snack and some juice in his sippy cup then it's back in the pack on on to the trail. I've never heard a peep out of him; he loves it. I guess the key is checking on him to keep him hydrated and nourished. :)

I would start using the pack more, just to get him used to it. Put him in it while you grocery shop (you can always put him in the cart if he starts voicing his opinion too loudly ;) ). Use it for walks, etc. Always talk about it positively, too. Kids DO pick up on stuff like that.

Sabina said:
The problem is that our son hated the backpack style carriers when we tried them on at REI so we got an Ergo (kind of like a bjorn but worn on your back) instead.
Our little boy cried the first time I put him in his Kelty carrier. I quickly checked the fit, and then took him out. A few days later I loaded him in again, made some final adjustments, and took him for a quick lap around the block. He was still a little apprehensive, but didn't cry. After that, it was all gravy.

I second the suggestions for hanging toys. I leave a few hanging from the toy loops on the pack so he always has something to occupy his time. Usually after an hour or two he falls asleep though.

Good luck.

Smitty

smitty77 said:
Our little boy cried the first time I put him in his Kelty carrier.
Ah, this post made me realize that I should clarify what I wrote earlier about how much my 9 month old son LOVES hiking in the KangaKid with his Dad.

Our little one complains like CRAZY while being put in the pack, and while being in the pack on the floor/bench/chair or whatever. Then I hoist him on my shoulder, and he is all smiles even before I can clip the belt. Then I start walking, and he's even happier. So, he likes GOING somewhere in the pack, not just being strapped in. I have no doubt that if he and I went to REI today, and I tried out packs just by putting him in, he too would seem to be quite miserable.

I don't have children but went hiking once with friends who had a year-old son. He hated the baby backpack too - screamed and screamed while they tried to figure out what was wrong, until they gave up and started walking. Ten minutes later he promptly fell asleep, and when he woke up again it was to look around rather than scream. After a lunch break he waddled back over to the pack, ready to jump right back in. I guess you just need to have the right bounce in your stride to lull them to sleep.

Umsaskis said:
I guess you just need to have the right bounce in your stride to lull them to sleep.

This is very true. Long deliberate quiet steps work best for my son. This is easy to do on ascents, but harder on the descents. The descents are more jarring for him I think.

Also, bring their security "thing" and tie it to the pack.

My sons "Kanga" can be seen here, http://www.percious.com/hiking/WMNF - Moosilauke Tecumseh - May 2004/17 - Descending.jpg "hanging out."

-percious

percious said:
My sons "Kanga" can be seen here
Very nice picture!
Notice that while Dad is smiling, baby is at least tolerating the proceedings. The baby has about 2 more layers on than Dad, as appropriate, including what appear to be Dad's spare socks. Note also the sun-protection hat, and dangling toys placed within reach. Is that a child proof-capped rattle deivice?

I have a 9 month old. I started taking her on hour long hikes when she was a month old. When she got big enough I switched to the Kelty pack and she would fall a sleep. Now at 9 months she is ok for a little bit but then startes to complain and cries for mom. I think she is going through the mommy stage where all she wants is too be in moms arms. When it is just me and my daughter she is fine. The one thing I found is she will not fall asleep in the pack like she use to. I guess the biggest thing is, is to just get them use to it. Eventually they should get use to it. Your baby may just be in that stage.

Tramper Al said:
Very nice picture!
Notice that while Dad is smiling, baby is at least tolerating the proceedings. The baby has about 2 more layers on than Dad, as appropriate, including what appear to be Dad's spare socks. Note also the sun-protection hat, and dangling toys placed within reach. Is that a child proof-capped rattle deivice?

Colden was actually pretty happy that day... http://www.percious.com/hiking/WMNF - Moosilauke Tecumseh - May 2004/15 - Colden on Tecumseh.jpg
The whole album is here:
http://www.percious.com/hiking/WMNF - Moosilauke Tecumseh - May 2004/index.html

The socks... I had a hard time finding anything that would go on his feet and stay there. One day I tried my thickest wool socks, hiked up to his thighs and it worked. I stopped my search at that point...

The Rattle... You know, babies just like to play with whatever they are not supposed to have. The emergency pain killers I have did make a great rattle, and I watched Colden with it for a while to see if he would try to take the top off. He chewed the majority of the label off, but it kept him quiet. I think I had forgotten other toys for him.

Thanks for the compliments!

-percious

Thanks Everyone!

I appreciate all the feedback. We make sure that he's been fed, "watered" and changed before we start out and then stop periodically for refills. : ) I think his main complaint is that he's at a stage where he wants to actively explore everything and is unhappy being a stationary observer. I think we're just going to have to grin and bear it until he gets his hiking groove.

After reading some comments though, we might try and borrow someone's backpack carrier and try it out. Maybe he just didn't like being in it in the store after all the fussing to get the pack to fit him. Worth a shot.

FYI - Hanna Andersen sells tights for both boys and girls. They're excellent layers because you never get the naked skin between foot and knee that always seems to happen. I got two pairs and thought it was one of the best purchases I'd made. They're very high quality and have an acurate fit.

"that stage"

My daughter was never happy with the backpack, as she was an early walker and was way too motivated to let someone else have all the fun. 14 months was a tough age as she couldn't do much on her own but refused to be in the backpack. Even now at age 5 she wants to do EVERYTHING herself. She'll be a climber, not a hiker, I fear, though, as hiking is "BORING" for her. She'd much rather be on a rope at the top of the rock wall at the local Y (I hope the guy who runs the wall doesn't see this because we keep saying she's 6 so he'll let her climb).

The Ergo Baby

I've never submitted a photo, I hope this works. In case anyone is interested in trying one out, this is the best picture that I have of the Ergo. It is ultralightweight, packable, washable and comfortable. Maybe better for shorter trips or around town....but I do love it.

Sabina said:
I've never submitted a photo, I hope this works. In case anyone is interested in trying one out, this is the best picture that I have of the Ergo. It is ultralightweight, packable, washable and comfortable. Maybe better for shorter trips or around town....but I do love it.
I can't see your picture, so let me try and post a link for an Ergo site.