Holofiber - hype or hope?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

OK - so, I'm the first to admit, and may harp on a bit much sometimes, that I'm a very slow hiker. It's not a strength but an inefficient lung issue. While I can stomp a good pace on the level or downhill without pausing I am screwed when it comes to climbing. Even if I try and maintain a slow pace on the most gentle of slopes I find I have to stop to let my heart and lungs catch up. I have learned to better regulate my heat generation but I still have trouble.

The other day an EMS catalog found its way to my mailbox. Inside the front cover was a section extolling the virtues of Holofiber and how it uses light and body chemistry to increase oxygen take up. I checked the date to make sure it wasn't an April Fools day thing. I did some Googling and everything pointed to this being a genuine claim.

I decided it would be worth a try. At the very least I'd be getting a very breathable, although somewhat Star Trek style, shirt for my $55. Oh yeah, a shirt that costs $55 has to work, right?

One test does not provide much data to go on, but I wore it yesterday for my South Twin trek and I certainly made better time and suffered less than usual. Even with all the photography and breaks I made the summit in 30 minutes over book time. Pretty darn good for me.

So, has anyone else had experience with this material or can cast an expert opinion on the matter?

Bob

HikerBob said:
So, has anyone else had experience with this material or can cast an expert opinion on the matter?

No to both of your questions, but I'd start with the basics first and rule out other factors that may have increased your speed yesterday. I'm wondering if your good time yesterday meant that you've found the optimal outside temperature to hike at, not too cold, not too hot? What was it, mid-50s down to 40's on the summit? Anything else different about yesterday? Sometimes I hike faster after a break of two weeks. Etc. I guess I'd try the shirt a few more times in different conditions before I bought any more at $55 a pop. If it really does work, there's going to be a stampede to EMS, and you should get a cut for telling us all about it!!

I agree, far to early to judge on one outing and the fairly constant temps in the 40's might just have been the answer. I'll see how it goes on a few more trips before declaring it a success or not.

Bob

I know the skin "breathes", but the oxygen it absorbs is insignificant... which is why you don't gasp for air when you're in a hot tub. Wanna help your O2 uptake? Jog, ride a bike, or do stairs.

"I have learned to better regulate my heat generation"... I'm familiar with your situation. I'll often hike in winter with just windpants (or shorts) and a T-shirt, and be totally comfortable while others are wearing parkas. I've found Techwick to be a great material because it dries so fast (evaporation = cooling). I wonder if the effect you noticed is due to the ability of the material to wick sweat away from your skin, not increased O2 capacity?

Last edited:
Bob, as you know I share your pain. :eek: I must say I'm pretty skeptical of a shirt that makes your lungs work better--doesn't sound like it makes much sense.

Do you know of any medical articles (peer reviewed, not the ones from Postage Stamp University) that report research on it?

It does indeed sound like it belongs in a Sci-Fi movie, but I keep telling myself they would surely get their a$$e$ sued off if it was completely bogus.

This link might be a good place to start.

This is their brief explanation:

Holofiber® material modifies the spectrum of visible and invisible light, interacting with certain wavelengths, and altering them into energy. When Holofiber® is worn as clothing, or placed near a person (in a bed sheet or pillowcase) it transmits the altered energy to the body.

This energy sent to the body by Holofiber® helps the body’s cells to be better oxygenated.

Holofiber® absorbs the light energy, altering it and re-emitting it immediately but also over a period of time, which means it does not have to be subject to a continuous exposure of light in order to function effectively.

The effects of better oxygenation on the body have been the described by many satisfied users. Over the past year, the beneficial effect of Holofiber® has been measured in clinical studies, first among diabetics, then among “non-challenged” subjects.

In each instance, measurements of oxygenation levels in the skin have shown a significant increase in oxygen levels after wearing Holofiber® fabrics.

The "...re-emitting it immediately but also over a period of time..." bit has me stumped. Does this mean it acts as a light capacitor, delaying stored light transmission?

Does it work? Well, I'll see how it goes over the coming months. I'd be interested in other peoples experiences. FYI - When I went to get the shirt at EMS they didn't even know they had them! They were to be found in the cycling gear section. The styling seems to lean in that direction.

I have no affiliation to this or any other commercial concern.

Bob

Last I knew, oxygen got to the muscles via the lungs and circulatory system.

Sounds like snake oil to me, although the placebo effect (a major ingredient in snake oil...) can be very powerful.

Doug

This reminds me of the claims for cold fusion.

I think you'd do just as well wearing aluminum foil as with this stuff. At least the aluminum foil would keep the aliens away from you.

Do you do any aerobic exercises other than hiking? That's the key.

HikerBob's quote said:
Holofiber® material modifies the spectrum of visible and invisible light, interacting with certain wavelengths, and altering them into energy. When Holofiber® is worn as clothing, or placed near a person (in a bed sheet or pillowcase) it transmits the altered energy to the body.

Ooooohhhhhh kaaaaaayyyyy. For anyone who buys this stuff, I have a few orgone boxes I can sell you. Hey, they come straight from Rangeley!

I have read a lot of meaningless drivel in my life, but this one is right up there among the prize winners. :p :p :p :p :p

I must admit my scepticism is right up there with the rest of you guys.

However, if you check out the research at holofiber.com it appears as though there are clinical trials that show some benefit.

Time will tell.

Bob

HikerBob said:
However, if you check out the research at holofiber.com it appears as though there are clinical trials that show some benefit.
You understand, right, that they are evaluating an effect on skin perfusion, that is delivery of O2 to superficial tissue. It has nothing to do with increasing lung capacity, oxygen carrying capacity, or oxygen consumption, which I think are what you were alluding to in your first post about endurance and performance ascending a hill. For that, you've just got to train.

I would buy a ton of it!

Tramper Al said:
You understand, right, that they are evaluating an effect on skin perfusion, that is delivery of O2 to superficial tissue. It has nothing to do with increasing lung capacity, oxygen carrying capacity, or oxygen consumption, which I think are what you were alluding to in your first post about endurance and performance ascending a hill. For that, you've just got to train.
That would be the best...a fabric that increases lung capacity and 02 uptake!
It could trim my 11 hour hikes down to 6-7 hours! :D

Yes - I understand the focus of the research and testing was on oxygenation at the skin and sub-skin level. However, isn't ones skin regarded as the largest organ in the body?

The research also notes:

...measurably increased oxygen levels observed and recorded in the body and blood...

Non-diabetics obviously don’t have the same issues as diabetics regarding wound healing, but a greater perfusion of oxygenation for the general population means greater energy, and faster recovery from exertion.

Like I've said before, only time will tell. I'm not expecting any miracles.

Maybe for the minute in which I was born I was the 'one' :rolleyes:

Bob

First and, by far, foremost: if it works for you, including the karmic placebo effect, then go for it and don't look back!

[extra white space]

On the other hand..., BWAA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'm gonna spell this one out: ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY ASS OFF! No, wait, really (under control for a second), ..., Baa Haaa HAA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAA!

Oh my, I'm tearing up. My organic chemist fiber expert Dad would have loved this!

Thanks, Bob, I'm still spasming a little.

--Mike

Not to beat a dead horse, but . . .

I'm with --M on this one. The researcher, "Lawrence A. Lavery, DPM, MPH", is a podiatrist. While he may know something about feet, I question his expertise as a blood chemistry and pulmonology researcher. The papers sound good, though, don't they?