How Big of a VFTT Slut Are You?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once read that everyone on the planet is no more than 7 or 8 "clicks" from knowing everyone else on the planet.

In the context of this thread let's say I have hiked with Pete Hickey and Pete has hiked with Dr. Wu and Dr. Wu has hiked with DougPaul. DougPaul and I are 3 "hiking clicks" apart.

So maybe someone with a little extra time on their hands would like to take the previously posted lists in this thread and a create a VfttWideWeb (VWW) of hiking partners.

Neil said:
I once read that everyone on the planet is no more than 7 or 8 "clicks" from knowing everyone else on the planet.

In the context of this thread let's say I have hiked with Pete Hickey and Pete has hiked with Dr. Wu and Dr. Wu has hiked with DougPaul. DougPaul and I are 3 "hiking clicks" apart.

So maybe someone with a little extra time on their hands would like to take the previously posted lists in this thread and a create a VfttWideWeb (VWW) of hiking partners.
Except that I never hiked with Pete Hickey before. He doesn't exist. Doug Paul doesn't exist either. In fact, I've never even hiked with myself or anyone on VFTT. :confused:

Sorry, Neil.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
... I never hiked with Pete Hickey before. He doesn't exist...
So you've found out that he's simply an AI experiment running on an old Sun 3/60? The bugs are that obvious? We thought the constant spelling mistakes were a nice added toubh to make him seem human. Guess you saw through it.

Pete_Hickey said:
So you've found out that he's simply an AI experiment running on an old Sun 3/60? The bugs are that obvious? We thought the constant spelling mistakes were a nice added toubh to make him seem human. Guess you saw through it.
Is somebody talking to me? I don't understand computer babble. ;)

Some of the more interesting/obscure/notorious people from VFTT I've hiked with or met on the trails or met and then hiked with or think I hiked with are:

Climber456
Robohiker

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I have no intention of trying to list everyone, I'm lousy with names. Heck, if you just count SherpaK's HH on Sandwich Dome and MichaelJ's 48 on Moosilauke that's probably 40 folks right there. There's also lots of oldtimers from the first few Gatherings that don't post here much anymore. I'm sure I've hiked with or ran into at least 100 or so on the trail.

And Alpinista, of course I remember when we crossed paths on the Hale Brook trail at that stream crossing. I was hiking up, you were hiking down. I can recall it like it was yesterday. :)

-dave-

dr_wu002 said:
Except that I never hiked with Pete Hickey before. He doesn't exist. Doug Paul doesn't exist either. In fact, I've never even hiked with myself or anyone on VFTT. :confused:

Sorry, Neil.

-Dr. Wu

Pete_Hickey said:

Dr. Wu, I guess "Pete" was a bad example in my hypothetical scenario. Not long ago I hiked with "him" in the ADK's. At one point when hiking close behind "him" I stumbled and instinctively reached out to lean on "him". Imagine my surprise when there was nothing to grab on to but air! I acted as if nothing was amiss but periodically tested "him" with my ice axe. Swish, swish through the air went the axe. Now we know why "he" dosn't play goal. Perhaps his name should be changed to HAL. Come to think of it he kept calling me Dave on that hike.

I always thought it was sleeping with a lot of people that made you a slut - not walking or drinking with them! :eek: :rolleyes:

There is a WORLD of difference between the 2, at least to my mind.....but then I guess in some ways I'm just an old fashioned kind of guy :D

I'm sure I haven't hiked with as many VFTT'ers as Dave Metsky or Sherpakroto has but I have hiked/kayaked with quite a few and have run into more on summits or in the woods. There are too many to list IMHO and I wouldn't dare try to list everyone I've met at the gatherings.....

I'm hoping to meet quite a few more VFTT'ers this coming year and hike some more with the ones I've already met..... here's to a Happy new year of hiking! :)

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
Except that I never hiked with Pete Hickey before. He doesn't exist. Doug Paul doesn't exist either. In fact, I've never even hiked with myself or anyone on VFTT.
In fact while DougPaul doesn't exist, he and Dr Wu have passed on the trail. There was even a witness, but I don't think she exists either.

D___P___

or is it Eliza?

Only Turing can tell.

Chip said:
Besides, guys that are dressed like rambo are trying to compensate for something. :cool:

The first time in my life that I hiked in the Adirondacks (Algonquin trail), I saw two jerks, no shirts and I swear, oiled pects :eek: I wonder what they were compensating for :p

I have to add that I didn't go back for almost three years after that disturbing sight.

DougPaul said:
In fact while DougPaul doesn't exist, he and Dr Wu have passed on the trail.
Wait a minute. I saw you (DougPaul) in person. Doh! :mad:

Now you made me exist! I have to write a list.

-Dr. Wu

timmus said:
The first time in my life that I hiked in the Adirondacks (Algonquin trail), I saw two jerks, no shirts and I swear, oiled pects :eek: I wonder what they were compensating for :p I have to add that I didn't go back for almost three years after that disturbing sight.

We need some more drawings now! :D

Tom Rankin said:
We need some more drawings now! :D
Yes, her drawings are fantastic!!

Timmus: Can you make drawings of the guys with the oiled chests? It'll be like therapy so that you return to the Daks more often.

-Dr. Wu

funkyfreddy said:
I always thought it was sleeping with a lot of people that made you a slut - not walking or drinking with them! :eek: :rolleyes:

There is a WORLD of difference between the 2, at least to my mind.....but then I guess in some ways I'm just an old fashioned kind of guy :D

As Bill Clinton would say, I guess it depends on what the definition of "is" is... ;) :D

Pete Hickey said:

dr_wu002 said:
Some of the more interesting/obscure/notorious people from VFTT I've hiked with or met on the trails or met and then hiked with or think I hiked with are:

...Robohiker

Well, that solves the mystery. PETE HICKEY IS ROBOHIKER!!!!! ;) :D ;) :D

timmus said:
The first time in my life that I hiked in the Adirondacks (Algonquin trail), I saw two jerks, no shirts and I swear, oiled pects :eek: I wonder what they were compensating for :p

I have to add that I didn't go back for almost three years after that disturbing sight.
Uh, Timmus. We've met, sort of, already. Now, I know why I recognize your face. And that wasn't oil on my pecs. It was "Skin-So-Soft" to ward off black flies. And now, to think you've carried this misunderstanding, this terrible burden, for so long.

Although I've met a bunch of people at a few gatherings, I've hiked with very few. I can probably count them on a hand or two... Oh.. Except for Seema's finish, and Pat & Audry's finish when there were a bunch of people there.

I won't list them, because I'm embarassed about having so small a list, adn you know how guys are about having to compensate when they have small things.

I’m still a somewhat virgin, yet so wanting to be a slut.

Artex and friend
Little Bear
Pedxing
Max and friend
Audrey
Stevehiker
Sli74 and friend
Lt Hiker
Skiracer
pepsi

My list is so small that I might have to go out and buy an expensive sports car.

dr_wu002 said:
Yes, her drawings are fantastic!!

Timmus: Can you make drawings of the guys with the oiled chests? It'll be like therapy so that you return to the Daks more often.

-Dr. Wu

I am going more often now, because of Pete...Oups, euh, no. Because of Neil...No wait ! I am confused now. All those thoughts... OK, I have to go now...