Humbling News

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Mohamed's WSJ reference, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123068296788444099.html
Meteorologists pin the blame on a weak bottom layer of snow. In many parts of the West, the first snowfall came early in the fall, when the ground was still warm. The difference in temperature between the warm ground and cold snow causes the flakes to form large-grained, square or cup-shaped facets, known as depth hoar, which don't bond well.
Depth hoar is also known as ball bearings...

Doug

I am normally a self-reliant type but my view is that resorts are responsible to protect customers from objective hazards.

I used to teach avy forecasting and was obsessed with the subject for years. Resorts are a for-profit enterprise and charge high dollar for fun, fun, fun without risk. If there is a question, close off the area - take the hit when your customers are upset due to less terrain for a day or two and deal with it. It'll cost a whole lot less than the lawsuits. And the head of Avy control there should be fired immediately.

I am normally a self-reliant type but my view is that resorts are responsible to protect customers from objective hazards.

I think that many have the same perception but as already shown unfortunately it is not the case. Main reason for my OP.

Good article in the NY Times: Fatal Avalanches Rattle Ski Country in the West:
Resorts throughout the western United States and Canada are struggling with avalanche hazards as weather patterns have created uncommonly widespread conditions of instability, wreaking havoc on mountains crowded with skiers of all levels at the start of ski season.