Is the town of Jackson Hole WY itself worthwhile ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
After an EARLY morning flight we have an extra night in WY that we'll spend either in Jackson Hole downtown or at Dornan's in Moose. Is an afternoon and an evening in Jackson worthwhile or should we skip it and head straight into the park ?

There are some very good restaurants there; at the very least you can get yourself an excellent meal.

Unfortunately, I was there off-season, the week just before everything re-opened, so I can't speak to what's available otherwise.

Ever see how much time Chevy Chase (in the movie Vacation) spent looking at the Grand Canyon? That's how much time we spent looking at the town of Jackson. Didn't even get out of the car, just drove thru on the way to the park. No offense to Jackson....clean, tidy, nice looking town. If the weather at that moment had been dreadful, maybe we would've gotten out and checked out some shops. But we didn't fly/drive all that way to visit another town. I advise going straight to the park. I'd rather spend the evening attending a ranger program rather than be in town.

Jackson Hole is a nice town, pretty touristy. Lots of shops and you’ve got to get your picture taken in front of the antler arch. The airport is halfway between Moose and Jackson Hole with the mountains as a backdrop (amazing). Once you see the mountains it will be hard not to immediately start exploring. There is a great hamburger joint just outside the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. The burgers are especially good after a week on the Teton Crest trail.

Have a great trip.

I would think it worthwhile.

But then, I enjoy poking around in all sorts of places when traveling. It sort of helps keep my perspectives on what I like and dislike in order.

There are many places I've visited and disliked and would not eagerly go back to see. But that's not something I'd know without the visit, so even those stops have been worthwhile.

Conversely, travels have taken me to places -- towns included -- not sought out as destinations but that I would revisit in a heartbeat, given the opportunity.

Exploration ... is going to see for yourself.

G.

Last edited:
I friend of mine moved out there after visiting the park and she loves it... then again, she grew up in North Conway so I suppose she's used to touristy stuff. Maybe it makes her feel at home. ;)

At any rate, she says it's a great town. Let your spirit guide you and you won't go wrong.

Grumpy said:
Exploration ... is going to see for yourself.

G.
True and fair enough.

I've generally heard good things about the town and do enjoy off-the-beaten-path finds, like the Conch Fritters :eek: we found down a lonely side street in Key West - YUM !.
We have enough time for the park and I think I'd feel like we may have missed something if we didn't poke around town a bit. Thanks all.

As others have said very touristy but thats what your there for :D I really liked the Silver Dollar Saloon. I am pretty sure thats what it was called. The floor , walls, and the ceiling are covered with silver dollars. Pretty Amazing!

I was last in Jackson Hole in 1972, so what I have to say about the place comes from ancient history and may or may not apply today.

I believe the name of the saloon with the silver dollars embedded in the bar was (is?) The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. I recall being fascinated by the "knobbly" pine interior woodwork, as well.

Explore ...

G.

It's fun, but it is a tourist town. The most amusing stuff is to wander through the high end shops that sell outrageous furniture and stuffed animals, just to gawk. Ignore the tourist shops, it's the same old junk. There a some nice places to eat (expensive) and a nice brew pub.

The National Museum of Wildlife Art is actually quite nice. It's on the other road north out of town.

Worth an afternoon.

-dave-

No strip clubs, just expensive tourist bars in the downtown. The brew pub is where the locals sent us.

Last edited:
Snake River Lager is my favorite beer anywhere. A dinner at the Snake River Brew Pub is well worth it. The Silver Dollar Bar in the Wort Hotel is also a good time. I have only been in the wintertime, actually, so the vibe is quite a bit different, but Jackson is a cool little town and can be a good pre- or post-trip stop to rest up and have a nice meal. It's good after some hard skiing or backpacking in the Wind Rivers. :)

We're leaving CT around 3am 6/24 for a 6am flight and will be in downtown Jackson around noon. I'm getting up 6/25 at about 3am to hike Disappointment Peak, so it won't be a late night in Jackson. Sorry Gig, :( no vicarious thrills here. A good lunch, a few local brews, a walk around town and dinner will be about it for me. :eek:

I'll chime in with the others and say that it's a tourist town and how much fun that is for you is probably directly proportional to how long you been either in the backcountry or traveling. I do like the big arch of elk antlers - that's worth a photo or two. Jackson's in the middle of big elk preserve, and they come down out of the mountains in winter.

And, as Dave said, there's an excellent wildlife art museum. It's between Jackson and the airport.

PS - Buy gas there. Gas stations can be few and far between in Wyoming, especially off the Interstate. My rule of thumb is - if you see a gas station, fill up. It may be awhile before you see one again.

Last edited:
Agree on Snake River also. Good food and brews. It is a touristy town but a nice change for the restaurants alone after you've been in the mountains 4 or 5 days. As I remember though its a 30 minute drive from the Gr Tetons Park where we stayed. After a long day hiking, ended up eating there rather than drive into JH most nights..

Snake River is a must, there are a few good art Gallerys if you are in the mood for that, also The Gun & Barrel is a good take if you are a strong carnivore- Caribu wrap appetizer is fantastic. The bar at Dornan's is also a great place for a beer with pic window view of the Tetons. Gas is available here as well.If you have any opportunity the Widlife museum is tremendous, loaded with unbelievable western art, great for an off day or bad weather.btw, get your food in town at Albertson's, cheapest option, Dornan's has a great deli with steaks for the grill. Enjoy, I am envious, good luck and have fun.