Lightweight Footwear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
I started hiking with and always used Heavier (Ex. Leather Norweigan wealted) footwear for the longest time. As technology has progressed I have been amazed at how well the mid-weight and lighter weight boots perform compared to when they first came out;therefore I have somewhat converted. My only gripe has been that the newer footwear does not seem to be as durable and when it does wearout it is usually disposed of rather having a chance of being resoled or repaired to extend the life another time around. What do you think? Is there anything that you have found that has the Durability of the Full grained leather and the lightweightness of a Composite style boot?

Skiguy -
Let me know if this provides insight -
For backpacking in the high peaks, I always wore Full Grain Leather Merrell or Danner boots. When I moved a bit further south in 2000 and started doing a lot of hiking on the AT, I switched to ultralight New Balance 800AT series, which I really enjoy.

About 1.5 years ago, I saw an article on Dunham Waffle Stompers and saw that Dunham Boots was purchased by New Balance (which is a company I like). I decided to pick up a pair of the Paramounts, which have lighter soles than traditional full grain leather, but offer leather uppers on a 60 day free trial offer.

I liked the paramounts so much I decided to keep them for hiking in peaks - they are light, waterproof and protective. While I was deciding, I wore my old favorites, Merrell Ridgelines for a weekend trip to compare and contrast the boots - I came away feeling very satisfied with the Paramounts.

The paramounts are very durable and come in extra wide sizes. The boots stil hardly seem worn, though I think I have about 400 miles on them now. They fit my taste for a lighter, reliable boot that still offers good upper support.

I still wear my New Balance (807s now) for backpacking and hiking the AT and other such trails, but when hiking in mountains, I stick to the Paramounts and save extremely heavy Merrells for more mountaineering in fall/winter or winter/spring crossover hiking where there might be some snow and such.
:)

skiguy said:
Is there anything that you have found that has the Durability of the Full grained leather and the lightweightness of a Composite style boot?

I know of an amazing type of footwear that is abrasion and impact resistant, offers good stability and traction, and is very lightweight. Most remarkably, all but the worst trauma resolves itself resulting in an even stronger piece of gear.

What am I talking about? Your own feet.

Before too many rotten tomatoes come my way, I'm not advocating barefoot hiking for everyone. When backpacking, bushwhacking, snow walking or scrambling over sharp rocks, you need something more. But for softer forest trails or smooth rock, you'd be surprised at what your little piggies can do with a little practice.

What to wear for more rugged conditions? I've worn Tevas for years. My rule was that unless I was in ski boots, Tevas would do -- if there's enough snow that Tevas don't work, I'll be on skis. Two years ago I started wearing Keen sandals for backpacking, bushwhacking, snow walking and scrambling. They work great.

No ankle support, you say? Not exactly. While I'm still on my original tendons and ligaments, my muscles can provide great support and stability. If I needed more support than my own body can give, I'd start questioning whether I really needed to haul so much extra weight around.

Best of all, just like any other leather boot, your feet only get better with use. The break-in period isn't bad, but once they're ready for the season, I can't imagine a better set of footwear.

(If you've hiked with me, you'll know I'm serious. It may not work for everyone or for all applications, but try lightening your foot-load!)

I'm another "sandal-ite," tho not nearly to El-Bagr's extent. I love hiking in sandals. But, I will say this about hiking in them - get em a little too long so that the rubber extends past yer toes, wear socks (at least at first) and be more careful in the beginning where you put yer feet. Cause it's dang easy to git a "wickid hahd coah" toe stub when ya first start out! :D :D :D

ps - oh yeah, also agree w E-B that when yer feet are that low to the ground ya don't need any artificial ankle support!

I just finished a four day backpack in the Whites, wearing approach shoes and carrying more weight than I normally would (around 45 lbs.) Despite concerns about support, my feet felt great after some tough days. I watched my wife and brother-in-law wearing heavy boots continually struggle for footing where I felt pretty comfortable maneuvering in lightweight shoes with grippy rubber soles. This experience has about completed my conversion to the belief in "weak shoes, strong feet".

It is unfortunate that trail runners and approach shoes are less durable than heavy hikers. They're more akin to running shoes: after a certain number of miles they just aren't comfortable any more and have to be thrown out. The shoes I'm currently wearing is my second pair of trail runners/approach shoes. I don't have enough mileage on them to tell just how durable they will be. I have noticed some subtle design differences that potentially will provide better strength without a weight penalty. So I'm hopeful that the manufacturers will continue to innovate design and materials to make these shoes last a bit longer.

Halite said:
...It is unfortunate that trail runners and approach shoes are less durable than heavy hikers. They're more akin to running shoes: after a certain number of miles they just aren't comfortable any more and have to be thrown out.....

What I noticed about my trail runners (NB 807s and the like) is that when hiking on slabs and steep downs where you are slanted a bit from the the fall line, I have no lateral support and teh sides of my fee almost seem to "roll" a little in the shoe - which is why I have gone to the lighter boots for steep ups and downs.

Halite makes a good point in that the midsole is likely worn out and the shoe probably should be replaced before the uppers look completely worn.

How about erosion control?

I am not ready for barefoot hiking. As a confirmed dirtophobe, I doubt I ever will. But after reading Forest and Crag by the Watermans, my awareness of contributing to trail erosion has me thinking of what would be the least soil disturbing trail runner shoe on the market. Any thoughts?

el-bagr said:
I know of an amazing type of footwear that is abrasion and impact resistant, offers good stability and traction, and is very lightweight. Most remarkably, all but the worst trauma resolves itself resulting in an even stronger piece of gear.

What am I talking about? Your own feet.!)

The other day, I had to keep taking my boots off and putting my cheap water mocs on to ford a river that we kept crossing. Finally I said screw it, I'm just gonna keep the rubber mocs on and carry my boots. I walked the last 4 miles of that hike in those mocs and my feet were none the worse for wear. Hmmm........

You may have something here.

99% of the time I would probably be fine sans footware. But a couple of years ago I stubbed one of my big toes through reinforced boot tips on an occult rock. I lost the nail and came mighty close to breaking a bone. I saw stars in broad daylight. Without shoes/boots I might have threaded the trail more gingerly but I never saw the rock. Barefooted, this would have been a major injury. However, an article appeared in the NY Times a few weeks ago about running with minimal shoes. Supposedly, if done correctly, it can grant a speed advantage.

I bought a pair of Dunham Waffle Stomper Premier with the Schoeller-Dynatec uppers. After some break in time they are the best boots I have owned. They feel reliable like a good pair of Asics or New Balance. These boots a great on almost all conditions from snow to slabs,a little slippery on ice but the amazing tread pattern almost bites into snow. The vibram is sticky and gave me no problems in Huntington Ravine. They are stiff boots but forgiving at the same time and make for great long distance hikes. Still considering strap on crampons and the Dunhams for Shasta.

TNF makes some great lightweight hikers too and very well rounded on all terrainThis company really had mixed trail conditions in mind when they made shoes like Vapor Light, I have put those shoes through tuff conditions and they still look good.

I think most Salomon XA Pro XCR owers will agree when I say these are real troopers and are fantastic on rock even when wet. The kevlar lacing system is simple and effective. I found these shoes wear quickly but still worth the price.

I'm a dayhiker with a 25lb. pack. I like to hike trails to summits and then bushwack back down.

I swear by LL Bean Leather Crestas. (also loved the Sundowners by Vasque). I also always use gaitors, even the little ones in summer.

Hank said:
I am not ready for barefoot hiking. As a confirmed dirtophobe, I doubt I ever will. But after reading Forest and Crag by the Watermans, my awareness of contributing to trail erosion has me thinking of what would be the least soil disturbing trail runner shoe on the market. Any thoughts?

hey hank! about a year or two ago, i hiked mount field and mount tom barefoot the whole way on a rainy day. it was great! almost a watershed moment (!). the next day i hiked ice gulch also barefoot. on the right trails, it's great. you become much more aware of foot placement, but it didn't really add that much time to these hikes. that is to say i was able to go just as fast (almost). of course, barefootin' in, say, the northeren presidentials would probably not be a good idea, but on the right trails, it's all dat!

i'm starting to more and more just wear my trail runnin' shoes on everything but the aforesaid northern presidentials. i like the asics trabuco shoes. good traction and the sole is sturdy enough to protect your feets. i don't carry too much so trail shoes are fine for me.

I'm a LLBean Cresta user. Best fitting boots for me I've used yet and durable as all get out. They come in three widths and are generously sized.