Lunar eclipse next month

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shot, KDT! That's exactly what the eclipse looked like from Bethlehem. Beautiful! Thanks for posting that.

PI, please tell your husband that while you may be biased, he also took a great photo. Thanks for posting it. Great shot.

moon2.jpg

Thats my best shot (and now my wall paper)

I learned a lot about how to tweak my camera last night. I'm amazed I managed to pull this shot off :)

I watched the eclipse from the middle of Lake Mascoma, from about 8:30 (no eclipse at all) until about 10:30 (total). We brought out camp chairs and a thermos of hot chocolate to fully enjoy the event. We were cloud-free and it was fascinating to watch the stars come out while the reflection of moonlight on the snowy lake surface went from brilliant to dark.

And, of course, it brought up memories of that glorious lunar eclipse over St. Louis back in October 2004... :)

rocket21 said:
It was nice and clear from the Great Hill firetower.

Great choice - remote yet accessible. Did you have it to yourself?

Great pix from KDT and Chez Poison Ivy. You too, MarcHowes - yours is just the view we had from our roof in Cambridge, with Saturn and Regulus. Light pollution obscured hundreds of lesser stars even at zenith (or is it apex?), but those three objects were clear throughout.

We see a Man in the Moon but the Ancients mostly saw a Rabbit. In the red glow of full eclipse, that's what I was seeing too - in left profile.

Amicus said:
Great choice - remote yet accessible. Did you have it to yourself?

Yep, just me, the moon, and a few critters running around the woods. Trail was groomed, the tower wasn't too windy (since the bottom half is walled), and I had a place to attach my camera clamp.

greathillsummit-2008-0220b.jpg

I could also see that Whiteface, Passaconaway, and Chocorua were all in the clear. The night skiing lights from Cranmore look pretty neat from a distance, too - I couldn't see the outline of the mountain, so it looked like a line of lights heading into the sky.

Went about about 9pm to clear skies, saw the partially eclipsed moon though my binoculars and with my naked eye - walked back into the house.

was gonna check it out again later - but fell alseep.

anyone else get the "whatever" feeling. I didn't get really excited.

giggy said:
anyone else get the "whatever" feeling. I didn't get really excited.

After about 45 minutes of standing in the cold, I did :)

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Very, very nice from Waltham, Mass., where the skies are fine. Winter lunar eclipses are nostalgic for me, ever since experiencing one on the slopes of Mount Jefferson in the early morning hours of January 30, 1972, on a south-north Presi traverse. Wonder if there is anyone on the northern Presi's tonight, albeit probably in the clouds.

That sounds very special. I planned on hiking into the bowl of Tuckerman Ravine but there was too much cloud cover to risk it.

That was a beautiful eclipse. It's wonderful to see all the stars and planets pop out with the nice orange Moon, with out moonlight glare. I tried to capture the whole constellation of Leo, with Saturn and Moon. I didn't get a crisp image, but I surely enjoyed the beautiful natural phenomenon. :)

eclipse2008.jpg

Tom Rankin said:
I'd wager if you ever get to see a solar eclipse, you would not 'whatever' it! :D
Lunar eclipses are ok and definitely worthwhile as a special event, but you are right, Tom. Once you see a total solar eclipse (a partial or annular doesn't count one iota) it is an indescribably emotional experience. You will come away from it a changed person.

Last edited: