Maine 03/28/06 Avery & West Peak of Bigelows

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Avery Peak & West Peak, Bigelows, Maine

I was going to start at Stratton Brook Rd. But when I saw that what little bit was plowed had “NO PARKING” signs plastered everywhere, I changed my mind to starting where the AT crosses Hwy. 16/27. The parking lot there looked like it had room for 20(?) cars, and is southeast of the crossing. Look for the “entry only” and “exit only” signs.

I had to put on StabilIcers from the moment I set foot onto the AT for 0.9 miles from Hwy 16/27. I then turned right onto Stratton Brook Rd., then about 0.8(?) miles later, left onto the Fire Warden’s Tr. (signed). The stream crossings were not really much to worry about- plenty of exposed rocks to hop over.

I would like to have taken Horns Pond Tr. to West Peak, as the AMC Maine Mountain Guide says it's more scenic, but didn’t have time to, so I took the Fire Warden’s Tr. the whole way instead. Normally I do much better than book time, but not today- maybe I took too long of a lunch or I just had a bad leg day.

I had snowshoes along, but had no need to use them- the trail was fairly well packed. The junction w/ the Fire Warden’s Tr. & AT is well-signed. The views at the summit (both of which were signed in the normal AT carved wood style) were as good as expected, with Kathadin unmistakeable in the distance- it was completely shrouded in snow in contrast to most of the other background which wasn't.

All in all, a hike that I definitely wouldn’t mind doing over.

Making this a loop via the Horn's Pond Trail is definitely worth a return visit. Horn's Pond is delightful and looks like it would be a great place to overnight, free. The two ladies "manning" it for the State of Maine last Sept. were highly enlightened individuals and fun to talk with.

When you get to So. Horn, take the short spur trail north to No. H. if the weather is decent - it has even better views.

Might I also recommend

Starting a mile outside of Stratton and adding the Cranberry Peak Trail, its an awesome trail with great views and puts you out by the AT before the climb up to Horns Pond.

I'll second what others have said. Making a loop out of the FW's trail and Horns Pond trail is easily among my favorite dayhikes I've done in New England... I didn't go to north horn though... guess I'll have to go back because everyone seems to love that peak.

The hike up to Cranberry Peak from Stratton is also very nice.

Sugarloafer said:
Where exactly is the trailhead in Stratton ? I thought it was somewhere behind Mainly Yours or the energy plant off of Rte 27, but I couldn't find it. Appreciate any help i.e street name etc.

I believe it's Curry Street. Coming from Sugarloaf it'll be before the power plant. When I was there in February there was a SMALL Bigelow Range Trail sign on Rt27. The trailhead is probably less than a mile down the road. I was able to drive about half way down the road in February in an Outback.

Hope this helps!

Hey Sugarloafer,
To reach the TH for the Cran Peak Trail you need to park in a small area on the left side of the road as you head out of Stratton eastbound, there is some type of small industrial complex with a chain link fence. You need to skirt around the fence to the back of the complex where the trail begins.
I did this trail in May 2004 so this may have changed, and I found this info in the AT Maine Guide book and the trailhead is also on the AT Map for that section.
Hope this helps.

I really liked the Cran Trail. There's a neat rocky jumble section around a gorgeous lake, and great views from Cranberry Peak.

Sabrina

Oops! Edited to say that it appears Injektilo has been there more recently and has concrete info to offer. Posting at same time :confused: .
Happy hiking

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.....I knew I had the right general area, but I didn't notice any signs and didn't have much time to kill exploring. I'll be up at the Loaf this weekend for Reggae Fest, so I'll have to take another look for it.

Reggae fest is happening right now. Several reggae bands playing on the decks outside the base lodge. The mountain sells $5 beers, and lots of Boston 20-30 year olds come up, get really drunk, and decide that it is a good idea to slide on their beer guts down the hill in the slush. It's a fun, public drunken event.

Just got back......kind of low key this year (compared to others) IMHO. I think the cold weather on Saturday kept the crowds down. Sunday, the skiing was awesome...one of the best days of the year !.......sunny, 40's and the place was empty. :)