Mount Kilimanjaro

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kili Tips

Hi Jim

I have done Kili twice, both times with my 70yr old father and each year we tackle a mountain. Kilimanjaro is a fantastic mountain to trek, very different to many on the Himalayan circuit, as you do not encounter as much snow at lower levels.

-Do you have any wisdom or tips you can pass down? Where do I start. Trekking at high altitude is something you cannot prepare for. You can prepare mentally and physically but you don't know how the body will react. To minimise the effects, drink 3-4 litres of water a day, walk SLOWLY and listen to your guide. He knows the mountain and does it twice a month. And take Diamox tablets as you get to higher altitude; breathe at the pace you are walking.On both occasions, we went up via the western breach, and last time spent two days in the crater so that we could get to see the ice fields and Reusch Crater, the volcanic vent.

-Was the altitude a problem for you? Touch wood, neither Dad nor I ever have a problem. The first time we tried it without Diamox, got to Lava Tower and swelled up overnight. We took the tablets immediately and were fine the rest of the way. Last trip, no problems. Some people react, others don't. It is not predictable. My advise is that if you go to trek it, yes the summit is the end goal, but the entire experience must be too, that way if you don't make it, you will still have enjoyed the experience. If you have asthma, heart disease or high blood pressure, consult your doctor first.

We have our own trekking company so obviously arrange it ourselves, but there are a large number of outfitters to use. Go for someone reputable. A good idea, is to look at the operators registrations with the relevant organisations in Tanzania and another big factor, how do they treat their porters and can you plan your itinerary around your needs i.e. add acclimatisation days, change route etc.

-Did you follow the hike with a safari? Yes, you can. There are some stunning parks in the area. Of course, if you go in September and then head off to Kenya, you can see the Migration as well. February is not a bad a bad time to go at all. Warmer days, but can be cloudy. Just avoid April, as it is very wet on the mountain then.

If you have any other questions, shoot. Kali is one mountain I am passionate about and would head up every two months! But I would need a good divorce lawyer if I did!

Cheers
Debs