Mountain Bike Wednesday Nights Anyone? North West Boston Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I’m off that day the only bike I own is a Motobecane Mirage 10 speed circa 1978 that I bought after getting out of the Navy. I doubt it would be up for the challenge.

MadRiver said:
Although I’m off that day the only bike I own is a Motobecane Mirage 10 speed circa 1978 that I bought after getting out of the Navy. I doubt it would be up for the challenge.

Rick - be glad to let you use our spare mountain bike. Trek Carbon Fiber -fron shock - XTR components - perfect size for you.

FYI - if anybody has an interest in a casual ride at Mines Falls in Nashua a grou from work goes there every Thursday night, some then go for a very casual 3 mile run afterwards. Geri and I will be there tomorrow night - 5:30 PM. If interested email or PM us.

Awesome group!

The Place:
Great Brook Farm, Carlisle. The only entrance I am familiar with is the one right off Rt 225 -- big barn and some signs about xcountry ski areas. Dani, any ideas on the best place to meet and a nice route??

The time:
6:00pm may be pushing it a tad early for me, now that I think of it. How does everyone feel about 6:15 with a 6:30 start time? That should give us about 1.5 hours of good light.

Best parking is on North Road, 1/2 mile East of Lowell St.

See map below:

Great Brook Farm State Park.jpg

Park Directions
Great Brook Farm State Park is located in north-eastern Massachusetts.

From Rt. 128: Take exit 31B. Follow Route 225 West for 8 miles to the Carlisle center rotary, then turn right on Lowell St. (following the sign to Chelmsford.) Fern's Market is on the corner. The Park entrance is 2 miles ahead on the right. The Park Office (984 Lowell St) is just beyond the entrance also on the right. Make right hand turn onto North Road. Parking area is 1/2 mile down on left.

From the West (Route 2): Follow to Rt. 495 North. Use directions below.

From the North: Take 495 South to Exit 34. Follow Route 110 West for .6 miles to Chelmsford Center, continue through light onto Route 4 South for 1 mile, then take right fork onto Concord Road towards Carlisle. The Park office is 2 miles ahead on the left. The Park is just beyond the office , go left on North Rd, parking lot is 1/2 mile down on the left.

From the South: Take Rt. 495 North to exit 32 (Westford & To Route 225). At the bottom of the ramp go right. At the lights go straight through. At the T intersection go left (onto Rt. 225). Follow Rt. 225 till you reach the center of Carlisle (small rotary with monument in the middle). Go 3/4 of the way around the the rotary onto Lowell Street towards Chelmsford. The Entrance to the park is two miles down the road on the right. The Park Office (984 Lowell St) is just beyond the entrance also on the right.

bobandgeri said:
Rick - be glad to let you use our spare mountain bike. Trek Carbon Fiber -fron shock - XTR components - perfect size for you.

Thanks for the offer but I think I will be hiking instead.

Sounds so fun (especially after hearing you guys talking about it last night). I have swimming commitment next Wednesday, but I would love to join in the future, especially when we go to a place closer to Boston.

Last edited:
mountaingirl said:
would love to join in the future, especially when we go to a place closer to Boston.

Thanks!

So...just to open this up a bit more ... for future bike nights -- we'd like to bring this party to more people. The idea is to select a new location for each bike night.

Some places tossed out last night include (thanks Seeker and Nartreb!) :

The Fells
Blue Hills Reservation

With summer upon us, we can take advantage of more light and bump our start time up to accomadate more people as well.

Have a bike and want to ride? Toss your favorite after work bike ride into the mix!

Have a bike to lend? There are those who want to do this but don' t have bikes! If you have an old beater bike that can take an hours ride around dirt roads and packed trails, shoot me a pm -- and I'll try to hook your old bike up with a rider!

:)

skimom said:
An idea that came up last night was to possibly have two groups starting at different times.

Maybe those that can get to GBF by 6 or 6:30 can go ahead and another group can start 6:30 or 7ish? All depends on when people can get over there.

Personally, it would be easier for me to start later. Like 6:30 - 7ish.

Hey I agree! Getting anywhere NWB after work is a time drain. I'll plan to be there at 6:30.

We'll be there and ready to ride by 6 - will do a short loop and swing back at 6:30. Look for the green suburban with the VFTT sticker on the back.

My mountain bike is open to anyone who wants to borrow it (along with any of my gear). It'll fit those from 5' 7 to 6' 3 or so I'd say. It's not the smoothest thing around, but it works like a champ.

Also, Lynn Woods is a fantastic place for leisurely or technical mountain biking. Very easy access off of RT 128 or Route 1 around the I-95/128/I junctions. Bradley Palmer & Harold Parker are two other excellent spots.

I'd love to join anyone who's willing to make it up this far north for any of these parks.

FYI - I'm located in Peabody. PM me if you're ever interested in getting together or just borrowing the bike (I'm recovering from a stress fracture and biking is about the only thing I can do at the moment).

roadtripper said:
Also, Lynn Woods is a fantastic place for leisurely or technical mountain biking. Very easy access off of RT 128 or Route 1 around the I-95/128/I junctions.

We'll second that! Lynn Woods is where we started mountain biking - some of the best riding around - everything from easy fire roads to extreme technical single track.

Thanks for the inclusion of other options unna_dogger! Another thing to consider depending on how many folks come is to group people by like abilities. As more beginner mtn biker, I'd rather not hold any fitter more experienced folks back!

Hope to make one of the trips closer to Boston!

Thanks, Roadtripper..sent you a pm!

Brenda we hope to see you soon! And I will certainly be interested in just an aerobic peddle in the the woods, although i suspect some others will be tearing things up a bit!

See everyone at Great Brook Farm this wednesday!

Looks like there is a 40% chance of some unfair weather tommorrow.

I still plan to ride unless its pouring.

Would everyone be able to post thier intentions here tommorrow by say 4:30 pm?

Sabrina

going to have to pass, not because of rain but due to family obligations. Hope to make the next Mt. bike outing

Sorry you won't be there Dave.

Sabrina - good idea! We're confirm tomorrow, but expect to be there unless it a steady rain. Bikes are in the car ready to go!

For anybody who is not going to be up north this weekend, there is a ride at Massabesic (FOMBA trails) in Auburn, NH on Saturday that we will be attending.

What: Massabesic Ride Saturday

When: Saturday, May 24, 11:00 AM

Who should come: Fun ride, all are welcome.

Meeting Description: I'll be riding the trails at Massabesic on Saturday at 11:00, meeting on Depot Road. Lots of fun, twisty single-track, not going to be a fast ride, plenty of stops.

Directions to Depot Road, Massabesic

From Interstate 93:
101 East to exit 2
Right at bottom of ramp onto Hookset Road
Watch for Depot Road on left as you go over the hill
Dirt parking lot on left