MSR EVO Ascent vs Ascent?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any major differences between the EVO Ascent snowshoe and the standard Ascent snowshoe? I read the descriptions for both shoes on the MSR site, and they mention a few differences, but I don't know if it's just marketing hype or a truly "useful" feature.

Is the EVO Ascent worth the extra cash? Or should I just go with the standard Ascent?

Thank you,
~Mike

Last edited:
I have both at home. The main difference is the harness. I found the adjustment more tricky on the EVO, and the tail only comes in one size (you cannot use the Ascent tails on the EVO).

Bottom line: I prefer my good old Ascent. Less expensive too :)

I'll endorse the Ascents as well, but cannot vouch for the EVO. However, I recall from others on this site (SherpaK among others) who really seem to like them alot.

Maybe you can borrow or rent both, and field test them before you buy.

I ditto SherpaKroto. I like the way the cut of the shoe is more ergonomically desinged for one's gait. Also, the material is supposedly stronger and the binding (to me) seems slightly better.

I love the EVO Ascents and highly recommend them.