Mt. Monadnock medical airlift evac

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Most helis are in Iraq these days but I guess the DHART was available. I have often heard it fly over my house on the way to Littleton hospital but not lately.

May 4, 2005

Young Hiker Airlifted from Mt. Monadnock Following Medical Emergency

CONCORD, N.H. -- At 2:00 p.m. on May 3, 2005, New Hampshire Fish and Game was notified by personnel at Monadnock State Park regarding an unconscious 17-year-old female on Mt. Monadnock near the junction of the White Cross and White Dot trails in the town of Jaffrey. They informed Fish and Game that Jaffrey Fire and Rescue had been contacted and were en route to the medical emergency.

The victim had been hiking with a school group from the Textron Chamber School from Providence, Rhode Island, when she experienced difficulty breathing and lost consciousness shortly thereafter. She was not separated from her group. Help was called using a cell phone to dial 911.

Jaffrey Fire and Rescue personnel notified DHART, a rescue helicopter from Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire. DHART responded to the scene at 2:55 p.m., landing on Mt. Monadnock to airlift the victim, who was transported via a litter from the trail to the helicopter by park personnel, Jaffrey Fire and Rescue personnel and volunteers. The victim's condition improved, she regained consciousness and was transported to Dartmouth Medical Center.

About 8 yrs ago the UMass chopper landed on Watatic for someone that fell from the fire tower (tower was removed a few month later) and I believe the DHART bird was picked up hikers with medical problems on Franconia Ridge in the past.

Sherpa John said:
I wonder what caused the episode
John It sounds just like a Asthma attack. At least I have experined something like that and was brought to a ER in a Ambulance . Sometimes the Rescue Inhalers do not help . If the Asthma like mine is induced by pollen or something like it pollution bacteria ect . . In fact I was having a hard time with pollen for the past few days. In a way I am glad it is raining. Or she could have a previously undectected respiretory or cardiac condtion.

That's a pretty fast response time: reported at 2:00, helo on scene at 2:55. Assuming it took some time for the situation to be evaluated and the decision to be made to call in the helicopter, you're looking at between 30 and 45 minutes to make the trip from Hanover. Impressive. Hats off to DHART and all the rescue personel.