New White Mountain Guide is Out

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
I assume a lot of you were waiting for this so here's the news...

The new AMC White Mountain Guide (28th edition) is now available and in-stock per Amazon.com.

Can't wait to commute into Boston with my new reading material :rolleyes:

Also, of course, available at our favorite bookstore, The Mountain Wanderer, from where I just picked up my copy.

Brand new maps, new scale (1:79,200, except for Presis which is 1:42,240 vs 1:95,000 and 1:47,500 for the older ones) plus, brand new in this edition, distances between major trail junctions.

Thanks for the heads up. Any word on any other major changes, formatting or other differences? The distances between junctions will definitely be handy.

Support local bookstores. Buy your new AMC White Mountain Guide from something other than a superstore on-line if it is at all possible. Or like Mohamed, consider making your purchase from Steve Smith, a small businessman who has given much of his time to any hiker who has ever sought advice concerning the mountains. Besides, you can mail order it from the Mountain Wanderer as well as you can from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Last edited:
Artex said:
Any word on any other major changes, formatting or other differences?
Big change (for me; I live close by) is that the short section on Short Walks in the Waterville area has been expanded; each trail now has a complete (though short) description.

As always the publications staff has made modifications to the layout, including shading the distance, elevation and book time summaries.

There will also be an White Mountain Guide Online, details scant at this time but definitely sounds interesting.

One more change

The old chapter "Middle Connecticut River Mountains" (basically the AT south of Moosilauke) has now been incorporated in the Moosilauke chapter.

The new White Mountain Guide is in at the EMS in Marlboro. I was in there last night. The manager cut the shrink wrap off of one to look at with me. The new lay-out seems ok and the maps seem to have better detail.

Woody

Tom & Atticus said:
Support local bookstores. Buy your new AMC White Mountain Guide from something other than a superstore on-line if it is at all possible. Or like Mohamed, consider making your purchase from Steve Smith, a small businessman who has given much of his time to any hiker who has ever sought advice concerning the mountains. Besides, you can mail order it from the Mountain Wanderer as well as you can from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Some may not be aware that Steven D. Smith, co-editor of the new WMG, and Steve Smith, proprietor of the Mountain Wanderer bookstore, are one and the same. This would be an especially appropriate time to skip the online superstore and support someone who truly has put his heart and soul into the White Mountains.

Is the distance between junctions on the maps? Or does it just do the math. Also does the bigger scale maps mean bigger maps, more maps, or less area included?

Have any trails been added/removed/re-routed (in the spirit of the Mt. Cabot Trail in the last edition). I ask because I am not sure if buying the new edition is worth it this time, as I just upgraded the last time. If there is enough new content, I'll probably go for it.

DANG! This means I am two editions behind!

Methinks it might be time to upgrade. No questions who I will be buying from. :)

una_dogger said:
Kewl!

Hopefully the pages don't fall out of this one as easily as the edition I currently have!

;)

Now when you buy the new edition, the old edition will already be separate pages to be carried in sections on hikes . . . the pages fall out on purpose as an added benefit for you . . . see how that is? ;) :rolleyes:

sli74

Two years ago, Steven was selling the 27th edition guide at the AMC FTFC meeting. I expect he will be there on Saturday with the new one.

This thread reminds me that the latest issue of AMC Outdoors had a mistake in its guidebook timeline. The first edition with a full-color photograph on its cover couldn’t have been the 1987 edition; my 1983/23rd edition had a backward picture of the Franconia Ridge, taken by Paul Mozell, on its cover. (I don’t think Paul was the one who flopped it.)

Also regarding that article, did you see the photo of Larry Garland? What is that big yellow thing he’s holding in his hand? Some kind of extra-fancy GPS receiver? It’s connected to the toilet plunger-shaped thing sticking up from his back? One of the guys I met last September on Black Nubble had one of those same things with him; they were mapping the road they thought they were going to be building up there.

Tom & Atticus said:

I will definitely get mine from Steve Smith in Lincoln. If he come to the FTFC meeting on Sat with some books to sell, I'll get mine then.
( too bad they don't include weather proof maps or have that as a additional cost item)

Raymond said:
Also regarding that article, did you see the photo of Larry Garland? What is that big yellow thing he’s holding in his hand? Some kind of extra-fancy GPS receiver? It’s connected to the toilet plunger-shaped thing sticking up from his back? One of the guys I met last September on Black Nubble had one of those same things with him; they were mapping the road they thought they were going to be building up there.
Probably the extra receiver for differential GPS. The first AMC maps with GPS trails were punlished (in 1988) before SA was turned off (May 1st, 2000), so DGPS was essential for reasonable accuracy.

I'll probably head up to the Mountain Wanderer today to get my book. Has anybody heard if there's going to be an "on-line companion" to the book with downloadable and customizable maps?

A note on the availability of AMC Guides at the 4,000-footer awards:

In past years I believe Mike Dickerman has brought various books along and has given a good percentage of the profits to the 4,000-Foot Club for trail maintenance and whatever else they spend their money on. I expect that Steve Smith will do the same thing. This is good for the FTFC, but bad for Steve's business. (Don't tell I'm said so.) So you have two options.

1) To support the FTFC buy a guide book at the gathering and you can be assured a percentage of the profits will go towards that fine organization.

2) To support a small business and writer, namely Steve Smith...call the Mountain Wanderer in advance and tell him you want to buy one and he will bring it down and you can purchase it from him there and he will get the profits.

Knowing Steve as I do, he's a humble man who would do something for others first without question of how it will benefit him. So I have called and ordered a guide book and asked him to bring it down to the gathering so I can purchase it from the Mountain Wanderer, but I'll also give a few extra dollars at the door instead of just the $1 fee so Steve doesn't have to feel like he's taking money away from the FTFC.

The choice is yours. But I believe both the FTFC; and Steve Smith and his Mountain Wanderer are great resources to hikers. It's not such a bad thing to support both, even in the smallest ways.

Last edited:
I agree with supporting Steve Smith and Mountain Wanderer.

Are the maps in the new book the tyvek maps? I have a set of the WMNF maps in tyvek and you can't beat that material for maps.