New White Mountain Guide is Out

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dentonfabrics said:
Has anybody heard if there's going to be an "on-line companion" to the book with downloadable and customizable maps?
White Mountain Guide Online. Not much detail available yet, release date is "this summer".
WhiteMTHike said:
Are the maps in the new book the tyvek maps? I have a set of the WMNF maps in tyvek and you can't beat that material for maps.
The maps with the guide are, as always, paper. The tyvec maps are sold separately, as of yesterday Steve did not yet have them in stock.

Raymond said:
Also regarding that article, did you see the photo of Larry Garland? What is that big yellow thing he’s holding in his hand? Some kind of extra-fancy GPS receiver? It’s connected to the toilet plunger-shaped thing sticking up from his back? One of the guys I met last September on Black Nubble had one of those same things with him; they were mapping the road they thought they were going to be building up there.
The "toilet plunger" shaped thing is a choke ring antenna. It is better at rejecting multipath (reflected) signals than are the simpler (and smaller) antennas used on typical hiking GPSes. It is a common antenna for professional applications. Note the brand--Trimble is a manufacturer of professional GPS systems.
http://www.trimble.com/l1l2chokering.shtml

The yellow object in Garland's hand is a GPS receiver, likely also from Trimble. I do not know the Trimble line well enough to recognize the model, but it looks similar to the Trimble Ranger: http://www.trimble.com/ranger.shtml

Mohamed Elozy said:
Probably the extra receiver for differential GPS. The first AMC maps with GPS trails were punlished (in 1988) before SA was turned off (May 1st, 2000), so DGPS was essential for reasonable accuracy.
The yellow object is unlikly to be a DGPS receiver (as noted above, it is most likely the GPS receiver itself). If you want high accuracy, a better method is post-processing. (You record data in the field and combine it with corrected satellite data to get accurate locations. Navigation requires real-time locations, but trail mapping does not so post-processing would be appropriate.)

As you noted, DGPS was used to remove the SA (selective availability)*, but it requires a nearby reference station which broadcasts the reference info. (DGPS was a Coast Guard program to improve accuracy near ports. DGPS reference stations may or may not be available for inland locations.)

Unfortunately, "DGPS" is both the name of the afore mentioned Coast Guard program and the name of a general technique. DGPS (differential GPS) in general is a technique for obtaining high accuracy relative locations between two nearby GPSes, even though the absolute location is only approximately known. (If the location of the reference GPS is known to high accuracy, then the location of the rover can also be found to high accuracy.) This can be done in real-time or by post processing. There are many forms of DGPS in use--WAAS (an FAA program for aircraft use) is one.

* SA intentionally introduced timing errors to degrade accuracy. It was turned off by presidential order on May 1, 2000. It is very unlikely that it will ever be turned on again. Accuracy with SA was on the order of 40 meters, without on the order of 10 meters for the L1 C/A mode used in most hiking GPSes.

Doug

Raymond said:
What is that big yellow thing he’s holding in his hand? Some kind of extra-fancy GPS receiver?
I can't find a reference to the photo, but I've hiked with my sister when she was using one of the backpack GPS. While the antenna is in the pack, the screen, keyboard etc. are in a yellow handheld unit where you can use them.

RoySwkr said:
I can't find a reference to the photo, but I've hiked with my sister when she was using one of the backpack GPS. While the antenna is in the pack, the screen, keyboard etc. are in a yellow handheld unit where you can use them.
AMC Outdoors, Apr 2007, pg28-29.

Doug

I'll also be buying mine from the Mountain Wanderer. I've only been in there once (just last weekend) but Steve was very nice to chat with, and I'd much rather support someone like him than an Amazon.com. Plus I just like having a reason to stop in there and check out the other stuff he has.

question: When do you become a true White Mountain tramper? when the new guide coming out is no news, you havent used one in over 15 years. Seriously, they make a great guide and its indespensable to learn the Whites, but there really are not that many changes imo that warrant the frequency of thier publication.

sierra said:
Seriously, they make a great guide and its indespensable to learn the Whites, but there really are not that many changes imo that warrant the frequency of thier publication.
My own guess is that nobody, except guidebook lovers, upgrades regularly. OTOH, new buyers will have the latest and greatest information.

sierra said:
... they make a great guide and its indespensable to learn the Whites, but there really are not that many changes imo that warrant the frequency of thier publication.

That's likely to be true for one who has been hiking the Whites regularly for 15 years, but remember that new people discover the joys of hiking there every year, and it's good that they have access to up-to-date descriptions.

My own take on the 28th is that, while the text seems to be incremental updating without dramatic changes, from what I've spot-checked, the maps really are something new, different and much better, e.g., showing the mileages between junctions, like the maps in the last AMC Maine Guide. I've read elsewhere that they may be by way of Trails Illustrated/National Geographic. {ED. Not so, as it turns out.}

Looking at the "Acknowledgements" paragraph, which recognizes 30 or so hikers who contributed to the 28th, I noticed several VFTT posters, including RoySwkr, SteveHiker and (as I recall) Mohamed Ellozy. There are probably others whose real names I didn't recognize.

Last edited:
GPS-enabled??

Hi all,

I see the new maps are GIS-generated.

Does the guide or the maps incorporate any GPS info, such as coords, grid ticks, UTM grid, etc.?

cb

ChrisB said:
Hi all,

I see the new maps are GIS-generated.

Does the guide or the maps incorporate any GPS info, such as coords, grid ticks, UTM grid, etc.?

cb

I just picked up a set of four new Tyvek maps that Steve Smith now has in stock ($9.95 @, or four for $29.95).

Larry Garland has produced the maps on a GIS base for a few years now, and trail junctions and other landmarks were nailed with a Trimble GPS by Larry and his associates. I cannot remember if there is much GPS info on the maps, however, as I do not have in front of me at the moment (I do not think so). The mileage numbers for trail segments are a big change on the latest maps, as are the scales, which are almost double the previous maps (i.e., the new maps are much larger and easier to read!).

Amicus said:
I've read elsewhere that they may be by way of Trails Illustrated/National Geographic.
Unfortunately that rumor proved to be false. Sorry.

Mountain Wanderer

Per its website, the Mountain Wanderer is closed for vacation until April 28.

I had planned to stop by later this week. Bad timing, I guess.