Odd pets on trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cat on moose

correction: it was the gorge brook trail, not beaver brook trail. didnt notice the paws. I will dig my pics out and try to work my scanner.

I took the guy in my avatar on a short trail once. I had a harness on him and he enjoyed the outdoors, he also enjoyed eating all the vegetation along the way. After a while I got tired of this so I took him off the trail and started home. Needless to say he blew his lunch all over the inside of my (at the time new) truck. Never again.

:eek:

I once saw a man walking a goat up Mt. Major. He was with a boy in a Batman outfit. That was the most unique I've seen yet.

Our late Siamese cat, "My Thai", was more like a dog than a cat but thought she was human, or at least a species above human ... which brings us back to cat I suppose.

She would hike without a harness. We didn't do any peakbagging but would go places like state forests and other woods roads. If you've ever heard a Siamese yell, you'll know how easy it was for her to get our attention when she got tired.

Once we waited too long to carry her so her solution was to crawl into a drainage pipe and take a nap. You know how long cats take naps ... which just proves how much my wife and I loved this pet as we waited hours for her to come out.

We used to go skiing with Saba, she'd pad along in our tracks, her extra toes giving her lynx-like floatation. When we stopped she'd hop on the tails of the skis to get out of the snow. Inevitably, around halfway on whatever loop we picked, she'd mewl until picked up and stuffed in someone's pack for the trip home.

Gorge Brook it most most likely Saba, that was her playground. She rarely went as far as Beaver Brook, and that's how she ended up in RI.

-dave-

Once while hiking in Norvin Green S.P. in Jersey, i ran into a guy hiking with a huge ram.Man could that thing climb up steep open rocky areas!

We have a new cat and really want to take him with us. He's an indoor cat, however, and I'm afraid he'd freak (I'm free! I'm free! Run away! run away!)

We're not sure how he'd do on a harness, because it might be like herding.. a cat.

We're leaving him alone for the first time this weekend - so we can backpack - hopefully we'll have a house left when we get home.

-owner of Buster, the crazy kitty

Blue said:
We have a new cat and really want to take him with us. He's an indoor cat, however, and I'm afraid he'd freak (I'm free! I'm free! Run away! run away!)

We're not sure how he'd do on a harness, because it might be like herding.. a cat.

We're leaving him alone for the first time this weekend - so we can backpack - hopefully we'll have a house left when we get home.

-owner of Buster, the crazy kitty
Blue , you could try wwhat the AT guy did made a place for his cat but [put it on a harness in case. .
Try taking him for short walks and bribing with food. Oddly my cat just started following me around the yeard and in the forest. I rook her on a short hike ot a waterfall with the harness on w ith out a problem just bring some snacks this seemed to work she is semi retired now . And does not hike as much . The abusive treatment by some with very fragile egos has made me wary. Out west no one really cares as long as each person is respecting the other.

mavs00 said:
Old Forge when, SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEECH..........

On come the brakes as we had to stop the car and let the ELEPHANT cross the road.

Tim, Enchanted Forest/Water Safari has an elephant in their shows. Might have been him. Maybe the Noonan's keep him around to haul wood. :D

poison ivy said:
There is at least one person who thru-hiked the AT with his pet cat several years ago. I can't remember if the guy's trailname was Ziggy, or if that was the cat's name. :confused: But I've seen many people refer to his hike over the years.

- Ivy
There was a woman who thruhiked with a kitty back in 95. She was called "The Catlady". Perhaps she started the trend??

RFG1!!!! I cannot believe you were harrassed for having a leashed cat on the trail! OMG!

That is such a great story! I can't imagine being in any kind of headspace where a scene like that would be ordinary!

mavs00 said:
Okay, so it's not a technically a "hiking pet" story, but it surly is odd.

As I commute the 280 miles from my home in western NY to the ADK's, its basically a transformation as I go. I start out in my "other life" mentality and slowly transforms to that other me (the outdoorsy hiking one) that I like better, as I travel east and north into the Adirondack Park. It may sound odd, but for short trips 1-2 days), the commute in and transformation process almost feels like part of the hike. ANYWAY.....

A few years ago as we headed up, we'd entered the western edge of the park and my transformation to Adirondack mode was almost complete. Looking out the window, the DEEP, green conifer forests were only occasionally blocked by flowing streams, rivers and the occasional tranquil lake. We'd almost made it through the quaint village of Old Forge when, SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEECH..........

On come the brakes as we had to stop the car and let the ELEPHANT cross the road. Now this was no circus elephant (no silly costume) it was just a great big African Elephant. Even funnier, was the dude that was leading it was on the other side of it and was not real visible to us, so upon quick glance, it appeared the beast was loping across by itslef. Now, heading into the DAK's, I've had to stop and let a great deal of wildlife cross the road, including deer, bears, coyote, turkey, martins, you name it, but never an elephant.

To this day, I have absolutely rational explanation for it. To my knowledge the circus WAS NOT in town.

i saw a guy on the A.T. this year with a pet ant. he had it in a jar with some dirt and grass. his name was adam!!

Last edited:
For the Byrds

A few years ago I talked to a guy on top of Lafayette who had hiked up with a Macaw on his shoulder. It had clipped primaries so it couldn't fly much. He said that he never worried about "her" leaving since she was totally bonded to him. It was a nice calm summer day.

RGF1 said:
I used to hike with my cat she was really good about being on a Harness she still follows me every where but just not hiking. we were abused by some nice folks who threw rocks at her and called my self names it was Certian " NON Profit " group too. Such a thoughtful and considerate "NON Profit" ! I was insulted and afraid for her safty . There was no need of the abuse I got from the "NON Profits Gruop " led by high status member . The leader was very abusive and insulting he said my cat was scaring wild life . yeah HIS obnoxious gruop probably scared away all the wildlife .My cat is very quite and stayes near me and is always on her harness. . My cat has Climbed La Plata and South Maroon Higher and more vertical rise than any 4 k peak in the NE and S Maroon which is much more difficult than any peak in the NE bar none even from the trail head . It was very hurful as my cat has been with me through some tough personal times and climbed many 14ers and some 4 k peaks in the NE . I wrote this "NON Profit " Of course I never recieved a reply but that is par for the course with them Sorry I brought my beloved pet into "Thier mountains "
But she has a few 4 -5 k peaks and climbed MT Elbert and Uncompahgre Snowmass, MT Massive Mt Sneffles and Castle peak all 14 k peaks in CO . She will make at least one more hike up La Plata her favorite . or at least it seems that way . She likes Elbert also .
But no more in NE after the Abuse I got from the "NON Profits " group.
Oh there was AT hiker who had a cat with him Any one know who he was i saw him on the AT at Speck pond and the car taker was really cool. Acare taker once had a cat but the "NON Profit" topld hert to send her cat hoem how thoughtful. !

OMG, these people are supposed to be "NON-Profit"???? That's just wrong for those kind of people to be acting that way. I can't believe they were throwing rocks at the poor cat.....should've thrown some rocks at them and hit 'em in the head and asked them how they'd like that? Even better tied them up to a tree, put some peanut butter on their noses, throw some more rocks at them, and hope some "wildlife" comes after them. :D Som people are really stupid!

Not okay

As someone who works and has worked for non profits, I have to say it's wrong that ANYONE would act that way! Why would you throw rocks at any animal?
Jen

Klutz said:
OMG, these people are supposed to be "NON-Profit"???? That's just wrong for those kind of people to be acting that way.

Maybe it's the start of Mega Fauna

mavs00 said:
On come the brakes as we had to stop the car and let the ELEPHANT cross the road. Now this was no circus elephant (no silly costume) it was just a great big African Elephant. Even funnier, was the dude that was leading it was on the other side of it and was not real visible to us, so upon quick glance, it appeared the beast was loping across by itslef. To this day, I have absolutely rational explanation for it. To my knowledge the circus WAS NOT in town.

Read this article a few months back. Your elephant story reminded me of it.
jen

Mega Fauna Re-introduction

GlennS said:
I once saw a man walking a goat up Mt. Major. He was with a boy in a Batman outfit. That was the most unique I've seen yet.

That's one of the funniest hiking stories I've ever heard.

One memorable day on Chocoura I met a 4-H club group with a llama carrying most of their gear for an overnight stay at Liberty cabin. Later the same day, a couple showed up with a rottweiller (sp?). The dog had a sort of a saddlebag pack on his back with two six-packs on either side.

Blue said:

You have to learn about your cat. In my case, Napoléon would never go with me, because he'd be running away as soon as he could. On the other hand, 'tite Poule would not run away, but she wouldn't walk with me either. She'd be stopping to inspect every leaf, bug, etc.

Klutz said:
OMG, these people are supposed to be "NON-Profit"???? That's just wrong for those kind of people to be acting that way. I can't believe they were throwing rocks at the poor cat.....should've thrown some rocks at them and hit 'em in the head and asked them how they'd like that? Even better tied them up to a tree, put some peanut butter on their noses, throw some more rocks at them, and hope some "wildlife" comes after them. :D Som people are really stupid!

They where throwing small stones and the leader who is a well known high status member of the NON profit shout a sting of profanities and questioned my masculinity. I think it was a threat to thier allged hiking prowess as this person is known to hike fast and far . The thought that a guy with a cat could even set foot in" his towering treacherous " 4 k peaks was just too much for him to take . I did tell them to knock it of they said they wear just teasing her ! I complained to the USFS who did reply and CCd a harsh letter to me that they sent to the NON profit . Of course the Non Profit did absoutly nothing . I really was not expecting the NON profit to do anything to thier super hiker member and famous group leader .
I was thinking I would love to see them IN WY . I think it would very amusing to leave some fresh trout near thier tents as the slept they would be sure to have a upclose and personal experince with some real big, really mean really hungery wild life . Yeah my little cat scaring wild life think there loud voices did a much better job as we were alone and not making much noise.