Out with the boys.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the guys I hike with talk about relationships and fashion. The women, on the other hand, talk about pick-up trucks and beer.

When I hike with the boys they tend to be laugh louder, the stories a bit more explosive, farting and belching tends to be more forced then natural, and jokes are more graphic. Thank God for women!

Blue said:
On my most recent (mixed) overnight trip, we actually spent a lot of time talking about other friends who we wished could have been there with us.

Tramper Al said:
On my most recent (mixed) overnight trip, we actually spent a lot of time talking about other friends who we wished could have been there with us.

Thanks Tramper.

(sniff)

:(

I miss you, Liza . . .
Charlie, give her back to me for a little while will ya, and stop being such a hog ;)

Liza, you missed out on Chicken Tikka Masala (rubbing it in) :)

Bringing this back "on topic" . . . when you include me (a dreaded female ;) in on your trips, you may not get guy bonding but you will get more gourmet food than you do in a restaurant :)

sli74

I've hiked with all females, in a mixed group, and with all males except for me, and I never feel that I am being treated one way or the other just because I am female! Friends are friends, no matter what the gender!

and by the way, chicken tikka masala?? more gourmet than in a restaurant?? seema, where do I go for such a treat?? :)

bunchberry said:
and by the way, chicken tikka masala?? more gourmet than in a restaurant?? seema, where do I go for such a treat?? :)
I'll answer, because I know that she delivers, though only to selected scenic locations. Here is the gourmet cook in her new avatar.

Last edited:
bunchberry said:

The answer to that would be on any overnight trip with me . . . I have fed hiking buddies a variety of home cooked Indian food in BSP in Winter, on the LT during a thruhike, in the ADKs . . . etc

All you gotta do is put in a request after agreeing to hike with me or inviting me on a trip to hike with you and then actually show up on the trip instead of allowing all the others on the trip to benefit from your Indian food request, right Liza?

sli74

P.S. Ack Tramper . . . that is one "f . . . ugly" picture of me :(

sli74 said:
P.S. Ack Tramper . . . that is one "f . . . ugly" picture of me :(
Looks like a nice enough picture to me :)

Jeez, look what Tom and I look like
<---

-Dr. Wu

The groups I hike with eschew conversation because it distracts from communing with nature. Laughter is frowned upon and audible biological events are simply not tolerated. Bible study, identification of moss sub-species and nematode nomenclature are our preferred activities.

Food

sli74 said:
when you include me (a dreaded female ;) in on your trips, you may not get guy bonding but you will get more gourmet food than you do in a restaurant :)

But that's not a gender thing. Unless maybe I'm a woman, and my avatar doesn't do me justice.

People who have hiked with me have enjoyed gourmet meals. Some pix...

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/leanto_food1.jpg An appitizer

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/leanto_food2.jpg A Thai green chicken curry

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/leanto_food3.jpg Green chili enchaladas (notice the fresh cilantro)

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/leanto_food4.jpg Kitchen mess. Notice things scattered around. Notice the container of tomatoes and zucchini, the squash, the fresh spices (basil, thai basil, oregano, cilantro)

Now, on track... I've found that women seem to really appreciate a nice meal more than guys...usually.. oh that reminds me. I've got to mail a recipe to the caretaker at the Zealand hut. If anyone stops by there, ask him about the guy doing all the cooking a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
People who have hiked with me have enjoyed gourmet meals.
But did you wear a shirt to the dinner table? Great pics -- uh, of the food. ;)

I dunno - I can see the value in both. Probably the only reason I prefer mixed company in a hiking group is because I have enough other "guy only" activities. Patriots games, poker night, etc... No question do I have my share of no-girlz-allowed events, and the tone is a little different. Not better, just different.

That being said, once I get to know someone, I usually act the same around both males and females. I am not sure that this is necessarily a good thing, however... :)

From my experience, a large part of the conversation of all guy hikes centers around women. All female hikes tend to be raunchier, more foul mouthed and more fun ... generally there is a higher expectation of the quality of food, too. Cavorting with women in the wild is a good thing ... cavorting with wild women is even better! :D

Interesting thread, IMO only men who are insecure or have really bad manners tend to act differently around women, on a hike or anywhere else - or if the dreaded "competition" begins... In my experience most women who are brave and strong enough to get out there and hike want to be "one of the guys," meaning no double standard please (tho it's nice to be able to fall back on chivalry when appropriate!). ALL of the (few) times I have been in the backcountry with women it has been a much BETTER experience, due to the things that women seem to be able to do better - food, decor (prayer flags), different humor, often more open minds and of course ... their scent! As for myself, I prefer to hike with open-minded "free spirits," whether they be male, female or somewhere in between. And i do not change my behavior a bit. Everyone, gets at least a small (polite) dose of enviromentalism and politics - it's my duty as a citizen of the earth! Abrazos amigos... :D

Men or women makes not a bit a difference to me. I do a lot a trips with kids so the change of pace is quite refreshing....well...can be. Actually the level/subject matter of conversation is surprisingly the same I have found.

On conversations on the trail. I stay away from religion/politics. Also, and this may be the minority view here, I will usually veer away from topics of "lists" while ON the trail. Not a huge deal.

(with people I have met on the boards) I also have notice that there really is not a lot of "sports" talk on hikes. Movies are quite a popular topic though.

great thread...must have been started by a man. ;) But obviously the women on this board have made it better. ;) ;)