Owl's Head - Sunday 10/28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
BIGEarl and I are watching the weather carefully, and although Saturday may dump 1-2" of rain, Sunday looks considerably better. We will be taking the Black Pond BW out, and either returning that way or via the Fishermen's BW.

Starting time will be "early" and I would like to be back home, showered, fed, etc., before the start of Game 4.

Because of the iffy weather, which may still change, please PM me with late-Saturday-afternoon contact information (e-mail and/or phone) and how early you're willing to meet at Lincoln Woods. I will coordinate the responses.

As BIGEarl likes to say, pace will be around "book time" although I will press a bit to insure I get to watch the 'Sox.

Tim

For those that may be interested in this hike but concerned with the idea of a bushwhack, relax. Both bushwhacks are mild and not the typical “beat-the-spruce-before-it-beats-me” experiences. The areas are relatively open and a pleasant walk. The bushwhacks avoid the major crossings of Franconia Brook and Lincoln Brook. An added bonus is they save roughly 1 mile each way. The hike becomes a ~16 mile walk with a 1,500 foot bump in the middle. Because of the overall terrain we should have no trouble in beating book time by a considerable amount. ;)

The day starts and ends with a ~3 mile visit to the Wilderness Trail. This provides a gentle warm up & cool down to the day.

The current weather forecast seems to clearly indicate Sunday to be the day this weekend. With a ~50 percent sky cover forecast we may have some great views from the slide too.

I’m really hoping for broken clouds early so that I can get the picture of Owls Head over Black Pond that I missed on my last trip through. :D I got a nice shot but the sky was completely overcast at the time.

This one should be a really good hike.

:)

On the trail at 7:30 AM from Lincoln Woods

Thanks to the outstanding planning skills of BIGEarl, the final plan is this:

From Lincoln Woods:

Wilderness Trail to Black Pond Trail
Black Pond Trail to Black Pond
Bushwhack to Lincoln Brook Trail
Lincoln Brook Trail to Owls Head Herd Path
OH Heard Path to the summits (over the current/old and head to the new)
Back out to Lincoln Brook Trail
Fisherman's Bushwhack to Franconia Falls
Continue downstream to Wilderness Trail
Wilderness Trail back to Lincoln Woods

Distance & elevation should be approximately 16 miles and 2,900 feet
Book time comes in at 9hr. 30min.

We should be able to hike at a book time pace going in with no problem. On the way out we should be able to maintain a much better pace, perhaps 30% under, which should save ~1 - 1.5 hours.

Bottom line, I believe we're looking at around 8hr. 30min. plus time spent on the summit, breaks, and Franconia Falls visit.

Start at 7:30am and we should be out, or nearly out around 5:00pm. (depending on breaks)

Bring a headlight just in case.

BIGEarl and Tim

I'll see you there tomorrow by 7:30. The weather is looking better, should be a great day.

Guys ~ We found this to be a really muddy trip yesterday
(1.5 inches of rain on 10/19-20 and another .3 on 10/23)
All water crossings were still up a bit, with a lot of evidence
of minor flooding from last weekend (lots of large leaf & related debris clumps) along all tributary's, brooks, rivers. We opted not to use the
BPBW on the way out due to muddy ground conditions everywhere else.
Yesterday, the Franconia Brook & Lincoln Brook crossings were doable with a slight submerging of the boots, but we have received another 1.7 inches so far today (5pm). Also yesterday, there was running water in places on the slide.

The Franconia Falls bridge is scheduled to be under repair as of 10/29.

*** Canceled Due To Flooding ***

Officially Canceled. It would be nuts to try it. Earl and I both have leaves to rake anyhow ;)

Tim

p.s. How 'bout that Dice-K?

Last edited:
BIGEarl said:
For those that may be interested in this hike but concerned with the idea of a bushwhack, relax. Both bushwhacks are mild and not the typical “beat-the-spruce-before-it-beats-me” experiences. The areas are relatively open and a pleasant walk. The bushwhacks avoid the major crossings of Franconia Brook and Lincoln Brook. An added bonus is they save roughly 1 mile each way. The hike becomes a ~16 mile walk with a 1,500 foot bump in the middle. Because of the overall terrain we should have no trouble in beating book time by a considerable amount. ;)

This sounds like a great way to do this hike. Wish we could've come.... Can you let me know how this works out? When we get ready to do this, how 'bout a detailed trip report so we can take advange of your experience? We always like to read up on who does what and how things work out. It's always nice to get someone else's experieces to better prepare. My husband usually isn't too concerned about what's ahead, but I like to kinda know what I'm getting myself into...... :rolleyes:

If it remains dry during the next 6 days, as predicted in the current forecast, we may try it again next weekend. Even with no rain for the next 6 days, it will still be muddy. The danger of crossing the brooks will be much less, and that is why we made the cancel / postpone call.

Hopefully nobody made it out to LW and found us not there. Sorry if you did so. We personally contacted all the definite responders.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Officially Canceled. It would be nuts to try it. Earl and I both have leaves to rake anyhow ;)

Tim

p.s. How 'bout that Dice-K?

Ever notice it's tough raking leaves on a windy day? :mad:

Can't hike (too much water), can't do yard work (too much wind)....

I may have to sit in front of the television and watch football and baseball. :rolleyes: It isn't the worst that could happen, I guess. :D

Well, in my mind, we were hiking. I didn't get Owl's Head but I did:

Scrape, prime and paint the high window trim on the front of the house

Put a 2nd level of insulation in my attic

Sealed maybe 1/2 the cracks in the driveway with a torch and a latex sealant (cord)

I'm on my way to pickup pizza for dinner ;) Hopefully I've banked some goodwill and we can try again next weekend.

Tim