PBS National Parks starts tonight 9/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 100%. I only watched the first two episodes and like Stan, I would have loved to have seen more of the visuals. A little bit on the hiking trails in the parks would have been nice as well.

Yes more would always be good but I think there was enough to start some serious vacation discussion, generated by my wife. :)

There is little I watch on television, thus explaining my cultural deprivation, but I made a point to watch this entire series.

Trust me, you ain't missing much... My TV consumption is probably down 75% from a decade ago, and I never watched that much to begin with.

I have the series recorded onto the DVR for later viewing. Just need to make sure it doesn't get deleted to free up space for SpongeBob, Project Runway or (gasp) Survivor. :rolleyes:

There is little I watch on television, thus explaining my cultural deprivation, but I made a point to watch this entire series. We have enjoyed several of the National Parks, especially in recent years on long road trips which encompass a whole region of the country. My trip planning always begins with the National Parks in an area and grows from there.

I rarely watch TV either, and when I do, it's usually Netflix. I was able to only watch one of the Ken Burns series, but no worries - in a couple of months the series will probably be available there.

Have been blessed to visit most of the major ones many times, with the exception of those in AK and HI. Someday ...

The visuals were good but, overall, I was disappointed in the series. It dwelled far too much on the political history of the parks. I do have some modest interest in that topic and it offers some valuable lessons. However, I am far more interested in the history of the explorations of the parks, the fascinating geological history of the areas which goes back hundreds of millions and billions of years, the unique features of parks, and ... why not ... a teaser on some of the backcountry and seasonal recreational opportunities.
I saw virtually all of it and I too agree. While the political history is an important part of the story, I was more interested in the parks themselves. The shows tended to focus on only a few of the parks--a wider variety could have been shown in 12 hours. There were also a number of repeat shots--surely we have enough National Parks fill the time without so much repetition.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm

Doug

Yes more would always be good but I think there was enough to start some serious vacation discussion, generated by my wife. :)

Sweet!

Well, I can see how the historical emphasis could wear on some, I certainly have been enjoying learning about the people involved. I didn't know that the early folks had invested thier own money into making things happen. Its my hope that this series will inspire a new resurgence of giving by those who have it to give.

I didn't know that the early folks had invested thier own money into making things happen. Its my hope that this series will inspire a new resurgence of giving by those who have it to give.

Yes - before watching the episode I'd often wondered why there were so many references to Rockefeller when you enter Yellowstone from the Grand Teton side - now I know.

The take away: Never take for grated the National Parks will always be there They will always need our protection from those who want to make money off of the beautiful land we have in this country.
And a great Republican President, Teddy Roosevelt, understood that.

Agreed just a few TR quotes, that carry the weight of time and are truer today than when first spoken

There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country."

"Defenders of the short-sighted men who in their greed and selfishness will, if permitted, rob our country of half its charm by their reckless extermination of all useful and beautiful wild things sometimes seek to champion them by saying the 'the game belongs to the people.' So it does; and not merely to the people now alive, but to the unborn people. The 'greatest good for the greatest number' applies to the number within the womb of time, compared to which those now alive form but an insignificant fraction. Our duty to the whole, including the unborn generations, bids us restrain an unprincipled present-day minority from wasting the heritage of these unborn generations. The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose, and method."

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others."

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.

If only more politicians felt this way today.

Latest posts