Posting 'secret' spots online

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eway ouldcay useway Igpay Atinlay otay alktay aboutway ecretsay otsspay. Ofway oursecay ifway ouyay areway ofway ethay Ewishjay orway Islamicway aithfay, eway ouldcay ickpay anotherway Atinlay. Andway Iway amway away egetarianvay, osay Iway illway encodeway ecretssay inway Occolibray Atinlay.

I have no problems posting a "picture" of a tracklog of a hike that I went on. It is a snapshot of my hike just like a picture of say a pond or a whatever. I've never shared a tracklog, but that is because...1. I take bad, stupid, hard ways to places....And 2. I have no friends. I really don't go into hyper detail, as my feelings are it should be your adventure.

Following others footsteps is not fun to me, especially if you are behind oxen and horses in a parade.(**Unless HarryK is breaking trail.)

Last edited:
Here's a definite statement from the moderators: No change in rules, guidelines or anything different is suggested, pending or going to happen.

In the preface to the start of the thread, I was careful to state my support for a 'no tracklog to sensitive places rule' on a site solely dedicated to the NY mountains. Its purpose was to stimulate conversation, and it did.
That has nothing to do with VFTT, but makes sense on the other board with an entire section on bushwhacking.
And my postion remains that good sense and judgement will prevail, as it always does here.

spongebob,

I must say, that even though it was slightly off topic, I truly enjoyed reading your comment:

"1. I take bad, stupid, hard ways to places....And 2. I have no friends."

That's wonderful. I often have the same experience when I try to convince friends to join me going to a remote spot!

:)

hikerfast said:
...Can you IMAGINE the crowds of hundreds of people that would be sitting on top of 'the captain' 10 miles out in the woods on a nice fall day if they did? grins
If the register is any indication of the number of people that whack up to the Captain...Rest assured knowing the Captain is safe from overuse. :)

Tuco said:
As long as not spoiling it means not going back yourself or telling your friends. Once you set foot on the place don't you start to "spoil" it yourself? IMO, either you tell nobody and don't go back or you can share and all enjoy using proper backwoods ethics. Otherwise its a little contradictive to say me and my friends can spoil the area but nobody else. IMO
I couldn't agree more. My apartment is trashed...I need to get out more often. :rolleyes:
NewHampshire said:
An example was a rumored train wreck in the Pemi.
It's not a "train wreck".......but it is a secret. ;)
spongebob said:
...Following others footsteps is not fun to me, especially if you are behind oxen and horses in a parade...
It can't be any worse than following a moose path. :eek:

I posted about a slide hike two years ago on this site and was surprised to discover a herd path above the slide the following year. At first I was a bit disgusted with the herd path...till I realized that hiking the slide and the short herdpath would likely have less impact on the environment than the trail in from the north-east which has eroded so bad that hikers are bushwhacking along the side of the trail. So those that took the slide up didn't contribute additionally to the trail erosion...and they had some great VFTT of the slide. :cool:

my comment about the crowds on the 'captain' was facetious...i have no fears of any place on a bushwhack being overcrowded. never happen..lol

Guilty.......

I must admit that I have found three of my 5 most favorite places to splash about by a Google search. My problem is I am DYING to share all my favorite spots with the rest of the world- and frequently have to stop myself from sharing. My worry (and I know I worry too much) is that someday I might hear that someone got hurt at one of these special spots (drownings, slick rocks...etc) and I would wonder if I was involved in pointing them in that direction (being that these are way off the beaten path..you would have to wonder). Yup...I am too tightly wound to share.

Since I am guilty of using information posted by others....I suppose I shouldn't have an opinion.....well, except about the potential of your favorite sites being trashed. On every hike and camping trip...we make it a point to take the garbage out on the way back. We have retrieved everyhing from drink boxes, food wrappers, cigarette butts to shredded tarps. (I must admit...a dirty diaper might give me pause...but way off the beaten path what are the chances?) In cleaning up after the inconsiderates.....we feel we make up for our own impact created by passing through. While it may not be our favorite spot...most likely it is someone elses. Maybe it is favorite spot Karma- hopefully others will treat our super secret places with respect. .

adkpooh said:
On every hike and camping trip...we make it a point to take the garbage out on the way back. We have retrieved everyhing from drink boxes, food wrappers, cigarette butts to shredded tarps. In cleaning up after the inconsiderates... .

The forest spirits watch you and they remember you. They will bless you.

(sorry for thread drift)

Happy Trails :)

Latest posts