practical camcorder

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

robohiker

I,m thinking of documenting my VT 3 kr hikes on video for the good of all robots.....What's a practical videocam to use in allweather situations?Money is no object,people give me money all the time! :confused:

How do these robots "see"? Since many 'bots don't see in the sense of light/dark/color, etc., as carbon-based life forms do, maybe traditional video is unnecessary and you would be better served with some other data-gathering device.

Last edited:
Canon GL2

They aren't weather-proof, and I'm not aware of any that are (which is not to say they don't exist). However, the GL2's are 3-chip so they have terrific picture quality, plus they're lightweight and very easy-to-use. They cost around $2500. I use them at my work quite a bit. I'm sure you could get creative with plastic coverings to protect the cameras, like many news stations use when covering stories on the field on those rainy days. Best of luck.

A camcorder on the Trail can be lots of fun. One must get somewhat creative when it comes to protecting them from the elements. There is no Camcorder that has an inherently weatherproof exterior, although through the use of waterproof stuff sacks,plastic bags, and umbrellas one can create a system that will make the camera funtional in almost any condition.
I have found for hiking that smaller is better. Even though the Cannon GL2 is a 3 CCD/Chip camcorder and will provide better picture quality than a smaller 1CCD/chip camcorder there are trade offs. The GL2 is a bulky,heavy camcorder for the "Go Light is Right" hiker. Also more camera more to protect from the elements. Smaller cameras in The Cannon line like the Elura and Optura Models can often fit in a coat pocket; where the GL2 will either need to go in your Pack or large exterior bag that would have to be strapped to your pack. Also if you have a small camera that can be easily retrieved from a coat pocket or waistbelt pouch you are more likely to actually use the camera more often and not have to stop, put your pack down, and then retrieve the camera before shooting. In other words you will be in a much better position to be spontaneous with your camera and catch the moments that you want not to mention less camera to keep up with. Todays technology if you go Digital (Mini DV) will provide a fine picture in a smaller Single CCD Chip. Yes a Three CCD Chip camera has a superior picture but the trade off of less weight and bulk in using a Single CCD chip Camera is far advantageous not to mention way more user freindly FOR THE TRAIL. Robo if you want to hookup sometime and go for a hike I own both the GL and Elura Cameras and you can compare for yourself.