REI dividends are arriving...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an American Express card, and get Membership Reward points, they have the Garmin 60CSx now...I just got mine. :D

DougPaul said:
EMS allows discounts on their GPSes.
dentonfabrics said:
I wonder why that is?
I asked a manager once--he said that they didn't used to allow discounts on high-priced low-margin products like GPSes, but they changed their minds. After all, sales are when people come looking for the expensive trinkets...

BTW, online GPSes often have prices similar to EMS or REI minus 20%.

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
I asked a manager once--he said that they didn't used to allow discounts on high-priced low-margin products like GPSes, but they changed their minds. After all, sales are when people come looking for the expensive trinkets...

BTW, online GPSes often have prices similar to EMS or REI minus 20%.

Doug
Good points - also, osme high end/high quality manufacturers can get away with dictating the retail price to all of their resellers - this is not what is going on with the GPS's but an example can be found if you shop around for iPods...

DougPaul said:
I asked a manager once--he said that they didn't used to allow discounts on high-priced low-margin products like GPSes,
Doug

I'm not so sure. Amazon is selling the Gar 60CSX for $300 today, REI's price is $400. That's a healthy profit. REI's high prices have turned me into a EMS man.

dentonfabrics said:
I'm not so sure. Amazon is selling the Gar 60CSX for $300 today, REI's price is $400. That's a healthy profit. REI's high prices have turned me into a EMS man.
Look a little farther: Current MSRP:$429, REI: $400, EMS: $350, quick online search: $535--$272.

350 - 20% = 280.

EMS and REI have often quoted very similar prices in the past. When I bought mine, the EMS/REI price - 20% was about equal to what I could find online.

Since the 60CSx is no longer Garmin's Latest-and-Greatest, the prices will drop/have been dropping. Nowhere is it ordained that REI and EMS have to drop their prices in synchrony or to the same levels.

BTW, it was an EMS manager who called the GPSes low-margin items.

Doug

Last edited:
Most of my costs on my REI Visa is from gas/food. I wish I could charge my mortgage, but alas I cannot. When I bought my car 6 or so years ago, I could only put $2k on the card...

No tuition and if I was to chose between paying college tuition and getting a lower divident... :eek: You know what I would choose. :p

Dental? Haven't seen a dentist in years!

Jay

I ran about $40K of construction materials thru my REI card to build my house and garage last year. That, plus gasoline purchases and the usual small stuff helped pump up my dividend this year. I bought a pack, and like Sherpakroto's idea of a plane ticket.

SherpaKroto said:
Guinness/Maddy: FWIW, the reason my dividend is so high: REI Visa. $12k dental and Tuition bills add to the dividend fast. Gear? What's that? :(

Oh dear! :eek:
You deserve a nice reward!