REI Members?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dr_wu002 said:
Wait!? I thought Al Gore discovered the internet in the late 80's or something.

Oh, and I have an REI and an EMS and a BOB Smith's (local hiking store) around me. REI seems to have the most urban stuff & not hardcore hiking but I understand this is mostly for the Boston store. EMS is ok but I generally prefer buying from Campmor. Bob Smith's has some good stuff but for some really hardcore things I'll usually order from Moosejaw.com. They seem somewhat disorganized and annoyingly cheerful but I find you almost can't beat them in terms of selection.

-Dr. Wu

Hey, NO POLITICS! :D :D :D

Ditto on the Michael J & Sherpa Kroto Bill Funneling route in increase your dividend. I just bought a $130 bike for my son for $35. For once my wife was very happy when I returned without a 6th tent or 5th pack :D

What I like best about REI is no receipt ever needed on returns. They can look you up in their system regardless of where you purchased the item (So a return at Anchorage for an item that you bought at Conshohocken is very easy) In my case, I bought boot laces before going to Alaska and when I got there I decided to relace my boots, only to find the laces too short - I got my longer laces (as well as an excuse to shop) :D
I wonder who has the lowest REI number? Jbreen perhaps? Mine is in the 4.152 million range.

mcorsar said:
Thanks for the quick responses, guys.
Sapblatt, you bring up an important point-proximity to an actual REI outlet. Here in NY's Hudson Valley, I'm nowhere near one. Do you (or does anyone else) think it would still be worth it for someone who would only be shopping online?

Matt

Everyones situation is different. I am 3+ hours from the nearest REI so I only get to a store a few times each year when I happen to be near one.
But, the local EMS, due to location is mostly non-hiking clothes, "puffy jackets", etc. And not much in actual gear that I would use so I buy most on-line and REI has some things that I like and, as other have said, excellent service. I also use the REI cc for some things.
There are lots of other choices now on-line now though.
#88X XXX

Like Sears Roebuck, I never buy anything from REI unless it is on sale.

I can speak highly of their house-branded base and mid-layer pants and shirts.

I don't have an REI credit card but I am a member. I figured it was worth the one time membership fee to be a member for life and get some sort of bonus back each year. But regardless all the nitty gritty financial stuff, I just prefer the selection of gear and clothing over EMS, which, IMHO, seems to be getting more for regular street kids than "real" -- for lack of a better word -- backpackers, hikers etc. Just my opinion, I certainly don't consider EMS evil or anything. REI just is my preference.

alpinista said:
I just prefer the selection of gear and clothing over EMS, which, IMHO, seems to be getting more for regular street kids than "real" -- for lack of a better word -- backpackers, hikers etc. Just my opinion, I certainly don't consider EMS evil or anything. REI just is my preference.
They are both good and bad...lots of personal preference. I spent a lot of time looking at shells last year and the REI one was superior IMHO and the sale price at the time was great (I think I paid $120 for a $189 shell.) On the other hand, when I purchased a larger pack I found the REI packs to be lacking in features and I have been very happy with my EMS Ascent 4700.
Back to REI...my new boots are REI brand (but they are made by Merrel) and are fantastic...with my dividend and 20 % off I ended up paying about $6. I guess I try to stay away from the expensive stuff...I hate for my interests, like hiking to be a financial drain.

Alpinista...I am noticing a lot of so-called technical gear on the streets of Boston these day. The kids that were wearing baggy pants five years ago are all now wearing really nice looking North Face down parkas. I hope they are all heading out to hike, but somehow I doubt it! :p

I do not work for REI, EMS or any other retailer!

Last edited:
REI stinks if you don't have on near you.

REI was great when we had a store in NYC. I could see the products, try on stuff, take things back for repairs n exchange as well as enjoy the sales. Now try doing anything with them, it's through the mail and over the phone. To me I'd rather use EMS Campmor or a local camping outfit I can go to instead of dealing with post office lines.

I've noticed with EMS lately that their "mall" stores lack the true tech gear and cater to the high school crowd, but their non mall stores (more specifically Concord, NH) has much better selection with better name brands. Just my observation...

Dr. Wu -- I seem to have forgotten that at one time it was called catalog shopping and not online. Back then I bought most of my gear from the sales pages in the middle of the catalog...

Co-op number? 837xxx. Two bucks to join back then!

Jim

Maybe I'm in the minority but I've had good experiences with products and services at REI, EMS, All Outdoors, Hilton's Tent City, Mountain Gear, Campmor, LLBean, IME and anywhere else I've shopped for outdoor gear. I cannot think of a bad experience off hand but I'm getting older and maybe I don't keep such good track of relatively insignificant inconveniences any more.

I've been a member of REI since about 1976 and my coop number is 619XXX.
JohnL

I've had problems with both REI and EMS in terms of gear availability. I feel like I'm often tracking down the right boot size, the correct pack size. One EMS will have crampons, another won't. I'd even be willing to pay a little extra for a store to have exactly what I need, when I need it, instead of hunting around, ordering, etc. I know that EMS has different locations that cater to different crowds, but the number of times the Harvard Sq staff has told me to look for something in their Comm Ave store is unreal! Basically it drives me to use the web more and more, rather than trying to find anything in a store.

jbreen said:
Dr. Wu -- I seem to have forgotten that at one time it was called catalog shopping and not online. Back then I bought most of my gear from the sales pages in the middle of the catalog...

Co-op number? 837xxx. Two bucks to join back then!

Jim
Ahh yes, the old catalog only days. REI and EMS were at that time primarily catalog vendors, unless you lived close to their one and only stores, either Seattle or Peterborough NH. I ordered from both, but REI was the co-op and offered the dividend, giving it the competition edge over EMS. Then EMS dropped it's catalog business completely for a number of years, choosing to open a few more stores, none of them convenient to me.

The REI catalog in those days was much more focussed on hard core outdoor equipment and issues than it is today. A large center section of the catalog had really useful articles and tips by members of the board as well as detailed information on health of the co-op. Some were good tutorials and I would save the catalogs for the information content. They don't provide that level informative articles and space or quality to print in their catalog anymore.

It killed me when REI opened up stores in NY state (none near me) which meant they began to collect sales tax on the catalog orders. They have since closed their NY stores now and do not automatically collect sales on your catalog or web order (though of course NY requires lawful taxpayers to declare and pay it anyway on your tax return).

I'm a 524xxx member. Anyone have an earlier number?

Catalogs...

The EMS catalogs from the early 70's had a lot of good general info--each section had a several page intro giving the reader a good bit of background info. Shrunk as time went on and then disappeared.

A recent EMS catalog was reminiscent of the old ones...

Doug

REI doesnt do it for me at all. The salespeople know how to sell, but not much about the outdoors, and there gear is subpar at best. The scam they call being a member is just that a scam to get you in there.

sierra said:
The salespeople know how to sell, but not much about the outdoors

My experience at REI has been somewhat different--I have found some rather experienced and knowledgable salespeople.

I suspect that they have a full range.

Doug

sierra said:
The scam they call being a member is just that a scam to get you in there.
Why do you think membership a scam? It's a one-time fee and not all that expensive at $15. (Compare with something like BJs which has an annual membership of $40.) The 20% coupon you get with your annual dividend can make up for that quickly. The only time I have ever seen any sales person encourage someone to become a member is when spending the $15 would save the customer more than the price of membership.

sierra said:
The salespeople know how to sell, but not much about the outdoors, and there gear is subpar at best.
How is their gear sub par? The name brand stuff is, well, name brand and the REI brand gear has held up pretty well for me. True, you won't always get a knowledgeable sales person, but I’ve never had trouble finding someone who knew what they were talking about. I don’t usually buy gear full price, but will visit to stock up on last minute camping items. Places like Campmor have good prices, but sometimes you have to hold something or try it on before you buy it. Having a store in my home town is dangerously convenient! They have decent sales and always something to paw through in the clearance bins.

sierra said:
REI doesnt do it for me at all. The salespeople know how to sell, but not much about the outdoors, and there gear is subpar at best. The scam they call being a member is just that a scam to get you in there.

I guess I have had just the opposite experience . . .

I LOVE REI, their selection is unbelievable and when they have their spring sales, I have purchased gear at over 50% discount. I used the 20% off member coupon to buy Petzl Expedition Ascenders that I couldn't find on sale anywhere online.

I have RARELY found sales people who know a TON more about gear than I do, but that is the consequence of being a gear addict and reading and knowing a TON about gear myself. However, they are always pleasant, never pushy, and there when I need something I cannot reach or want a different size, etc which is all I need when I go in a gear store most of the time.

I LOVE, LOVE REI and am VERY happy with my membership benefits. But to each their own . . .

sli74

sierra said:

I disagree, scams are out there- this is not a scam. Overall it is a pretty good deal. For $15.00 you get lifetime mebership, a dividend check based on purchases, and coupons that are good. Sales service is usually good at REI, and I have never felt "pushed" into buying anything there. Sales associates are very often rated, given raises, and promoted based on sales skills and customer approach. If they don't approach they can get written up. Associates are often tested by "secret shoppers" who do this type of thing for a living. EMS I am pretty sure does the same.

Costco, BJ's and Sams Club charge 40.00 plus per year just so you can have the honor of entering and buying pallets of stuff....... If REI had an annual charge I might feel different, but a one shot deal like REI's is overall pretty good.

disclaimer, I don't work for any of the above named stores.....

Last edited:
Rei

FWIW, on the rare occasions that I have needed to return anything, REI has been excellent about it.

Plus if you catch the February clearance sale, you can get amazing deals. Got my MH Waypoint 2 Shelter for $80.