Saturday 4k with kids?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAJZHike

Reaction score
We were thinking of hiking Techumsa, Osceola or Tom with our 5 and 7 year olds Saturday. So far they have done Jackson, Cannon, Hale, and Moosilauke. They had the hardest time with Jackson climbing up all of the rock steps below the ledges and the easiest time with Moosilauke via snapper / carrage rd trails. Anyone have ideas on the footing for these or another suggestion? From the trail conditions reports I am leaning toward Osceola from Tripoli Rd. Thanks Mark

Howdy!

Out of the three you chose I would go with oseola. Tom, and tecumse have very little in the way of veiws. Im not sure how Tom is in the way of lots of rocks because I did it in the dead of winter when the trail was packed. I remember Oseola having some steep parts but I did a while ago.

Have phun!!!!!!!

Osceola

Osceola from the Sandwich Notch side would be my pick.

Should provide some nice views from the top given tomorrow's forecast.

You might also given em a history lesson about Chief Osceola on the way!

cb

Osceola or Tom

I enjoyed Osceola, and its prob the easier of thwe two if you ascend from Tripoli Rd, but I personally like Mt Tom. The views are limited in areas, but where there are openings, they look at the right things, in my opinion. Views are great towards Carrigain and the a good part of the Pemi Wilderness. Mt Washington is also seen. It was a great day!!

grouseking

I would def go with Osceola for this trip. No doubt. MUCH better than Tecumseh, I mean way better. And from Tripoli Rd, it really isn't tough at all and gets up there pretty quick.

Osceola and Tom are both real real nice....Not ver hard either...Tom has good views, I don't know how one could miss them....way better than Field or Willey.

And Osceola is ascended from Tripoli Road in Thornton Gap, not Sandwich Notch.

Techumseh and Osceola are both easy. We did Techumseh in our church shoes by accident...long story. Beth was 5 and Adam was 8. They had no problems. Osceola was the kids 1st 4000 footer and they loved it. Enjoy....it's suppose to be a beautiful day! :D

I agree with Osceola also. It is a little longer than Tecumseh, but the views are much better. The trail is one of my favorites. I've taken my kids up there a few times, and they had no problem.

The osceola trip was great!! The terrain was perfect for kids with enough to keep them interested but not enough to make it to difficult. It was nice to see other families also taking advantage of the great weather and the great views. After the hike we stayed the night at the amc's Cardigan lodge, also another great place to bring a family as there were some kids activities Sunday as well as some more hiking. Thanks for all of the input and it was nice to finnaly meet a few vfft'ers on the trail. Mark

Our paths crossed on Saturday. I was on my way down with mtnmama while you were coming up. The kids seemed to be enjoying the hike as much as anyone on the trail. We love bringing our nieces, nephews and granddaughter hiking with us. Seeing a trail through their eyes can really put things in perspective :)