Scat/dung question...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like bear to me, Yeti.

I'm not as knowledgable as everyone else seems to be, so I'll sit back and take correction if necessary...

Thanks, jbrown. Let's see what others chime in with, but since we two are in agreement, I think we may be right. Btw - this seemed pretty fresh when I saw it, but I saw no other sign of bear (if that's what this is) at all.

It certainly could be bear. Not that I am an expert. It's hard to determine the size and would be interested in seeing it broken apart. Looks like lots of seeds as well as the undigested berries.

It isn't unusual to see scratch marks on the trees or sometimes tufts of hair from a rub nearby.

I remember one spot by rocky branch #2 shelter that I saw scratch marks that I could barely reach with my hands while standing on my toes. :eek:

Wasn't looking forward to meeting him that night.

Keith

I vote for bear. It's very similar to other bear scats I've seen. Bear poop, like most omnivore scat, will have identifyable components. Ruminants grind their food up so much that it is near impossible to identify the food.

Suebiscuit: Off to Davis Path/Rocky Branch loop. Looking forward to it.

Bear scat is often identified by process of elimination "well, it ain't a rabbit, ain't a squirrel, ain't a marten, must be a bear" (seriously). You can nearly always find other sign nearby.

As for that partridge... Duck!

359232987WVHZFW_ph.jpg

Last edited: