Seawall Campground, Acadia NP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
I've never stayed at the Seawall Campground, but would like to try my luck on getting a spot there next week (likely Monday or Tuesday through Thursday). I know it's no reservations and first come first serve, but has anyone stayed there recently? If so, any tips or suggestions.. like exactly what time we should get there?

We're pretty sure that you will need reservations. UK says that while school is out, pretty much anywhere up there you'll need them. I'll be different when school is in session, like after labor day. We're hoping to make a trip up there in October, Veterns Day weekend. We haven't been up there in a few years..... :(

From a website on Acadia:

During late July and August, plan to arrive at Seawall early in the morning. There is a great demand for campsites and a line forms each morning. As campers check out, others from the waiting line are assigned available sites. Reservations are not accepted for individual sites at Seawall Campground

Another campground in the area in case you can't get in:
http://quietsidecampground.com/
http://mainecamper.com/
http://bassharbor.com/

I don't imagine that the campground will be full monday thru wednesday nights. It is prime tourist season, but it is also mid week. I have been there several times mid-week and I have never seen it full. I am not sure if I have ever been there during August though. I would imagine that you should be able to find a campsite somewhere midweek w/out much of a problem. The actual seawall at Seawall is really beautiful. The second best place to take in the sunset, after Cadillac Mt. If you bring a large pot camping, you can get some good lobster off the pier at Bass Harbor in the building next to the Seafod Catch restaurant. Have fun!

Thanks Tut and B&G. Yep, I've had good success with the private campgrounds on the island on several occasions, but most of them jam pack the tent sites together. But that's the backup plan. Tut, I may just do that with the lobster. I'm taking a friend from NYC, and I'm sure she'll get a huge kick out of that.

Jamie - FYI , At Bass Harbor campground the sites the furthest from Rte 102A are fairly large and spread out.

http://www.bassharbor.com/imagemap/sitemap.html

There is also a guy who boils up crabs and sometimes a lobster dinner at the entrance to the campgound.

Don't forget to take some walks down to lighthouse early in the morning and after sunset - Geri saw deer, including babies almost everyday we were there in June.

Ditto to what King Tut said about the Seawall - very nice!

bobandgeri said:
Jamie - FYI , At Bass Harbor campground the sites the furthest from Rte 102A are fairly large and spread out.

Very cool! I know right where it is. That other side of the of the island is relatively less manic as well. Good back up, thanks!

Try standby

You might call the NPS about this to see if they still have the same policy. Many years ago 1980's I went to Acadia by myself w/o reservations and managed to get a camp site at Blackwoods. I must have called NPS to see if they got cancellations or no-shows very often and they advised me to stick around until 9:30 or 10:00 (don't remember exact times for this stuff) when they offer the untaken sites to whoever's around. I stayed at a private campground the first night and early the next day packed up and went to Blackwoods CG and showed up at Kiosk at 8:30-9:00AM. While waiting around with 3 or 4 other parties who had the same idea, I struck up a conversation with solo-traveler like myself and came to agreement that in event there weren't enough sites available to go around we would share a site. There was enough but we decided to share a site anyway and we ended up spending better part of a week together having a grand old time hiking, biking, watching moonlight flicker on ocean waves from cliffs, and drinking and other forms of recreation popular in those days.

We're also going up to Acadia either this weekend or Monday. At that point in August it's prety easy to get a spot. WE've only been skunked once in twenty years and that's because I didn't get there until almost 3:00 the second week in August. I try to get there around mid morning. I used to do the all night drive from central New York to make sure I was there at dawn to get a site but I just can't do that anymore and it's not necessary. So now I drive as far as Freeport and take a site for one night at Bradbury State Park and then finish the drive to Acadia in the morning. Any rain and there's lots of empty sites. Last year there was a four day stretch of light rain on and off and we were the only tent in sight all those days in our entire section. The walk in sites are the best. The car sites go quickly and run out. There are many many people who only camp for one night. They're in and out so there's high turnover.

You've picked a great time to go. You'll be able to get a site and the island gets easier to negotiate in terms of traffic,bikers, tourists etc. Shower time is shorter at Dave and Dawn's.No bugs. The precipice is open. Even better is another week later in August going home just before Labor Day weekend. It's amazing how quiet things are that week. Families are home getting ready for back to school. From mid August on is great biking weather but I've found you do get more in the way of showers.