selling/ buying tele skies.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whtmthiker

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place for this. I'm selling my tele skies because they're too tall for me (180's) I'm only 5' 3" and thinking I need 160's though would like input on this... I'm very much a beginner and usually go 1-2 times a year on lift serve trails but I slowly want to get into beginner backcountry. I went on Sherburn trail and that's about the extent of it. 180's seemed too difficult to move around. First, if anyone is looking for tele skies with older bindings let me know. They are shaped and in semi-good condition. Will sell for $100 or b.o. Also, looking for a pair of 160's.. doesn't have to be new but not wanting to spend too much money. I'll probably buy a good pair of bindings for them. Thanks

Kathy

Skis feel your weight (including gear)--they don't know how tall you are.

Many manufacturers publish tables relating weight to ski length. The conversion varies with the model.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Skis feel your weight (including gear)--they don't know how tall you are.

Many manufacturers publish tables relating weight to ski length. The conversion varies with the model.

Doug

Great, so now I have to post my weight! :) Okay... I weigh 115 without gear. So probably add 5 lbs for gear? I skied with 180's so I think anything shorter will feel great! I really like the shape skies so not sure if that would make a different on length. I have been to a store but they had no idea what I should get and it seems like customer service is hit or miss these days so any advice before I go shopping is great!!! Thanks

Kathy

For most modern tele skis 180 would be too big for someone 5'3" 115lbs. But it really depends on the skis you have; what make and model? Also, what kind of boots and bindings do you have?

I'm much heavier than you (no need to post my weight) and I ski on K2 Super Stinx 181cm, so if you have a ski like that you should definately be on a much shorter setup. Since you're not a very aggressive skier, smaller and softer is probably better.

You'll get a lot more detailed advice on TeleTips with people who know every ski available, plus there's lots of used gear for sale.

-dave-

Three things...

1) I don't get offended by for sale posts but others do. I think its even against the site rules but you might want to check.

2) Can you clarify what you are looking for in terms of a lift capable tele rig? What kind of boots are you skiing in? What do you mean by beginner? Are you a beginner skier (struggling with the snowplow)? Are you an advanced alpine skier who can make parallel turns but not tele turns? When you ski alpine, are you agressive or mellow? As Dave Metsky noted, you will get lots of advice on telmark tips but.... it will be big mountain and western oriented in its bias. Describe your tastes and we may be able to shed some light.

3) Are you very sure you want a tele rig for the backcountry? Backcountry skiing ranges from xc on skinny skis to steep stuff on tele gear. While I enjoy heavy tele at ski areas, IMO, it is not the right choice of gear for most backcountry skiing in New England. You might be better off renting heavy tele (or alpine) gear for the few times you ski at ski areas and investing in a lighter backcountry ski outfit that you can use out your backdoor at local golf courses and parks. I ski in the Blue Hills in Boston all the time but almost never at that ski area.

Here is a quickie overview of backcountry gear:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/quick-picks.html

For the links for enough details to make your eyes bleed.

If you're interested in mainly backcountry and want to tele, you might consider Fischer Outtabounds or Rebounds. They are easy to turn and fun to ski, but not the best climber. I have kicker skins to offset their lack of climbability for rolling hills. On something like the Sherborn or Moosilauke, you want full skins. You can also buy them waxable if you don't mind (or even enjoy) messing with kick wax. I'd say you'd want the 159. I am 5'5" 150 and ski 169s on those skis.

Another ski to consider is the Karhu Dorado in a 165. They have a better fishscale pattern and climb better. But they are a bit heavier with a bit less side cut, although I've heard they still turn pretty well.

Atomic has similar skis, but they all bottom out at 170s which I think would be too long for you.

What kind of boots do you have?

Yeah... the 180s are probably a bit long for you.

A good place to post for ski info is www.telemarktips.com. Lots of good people and info over there. One of the forms, teleturnaround, is for gear sales and exchanges.