Snow !

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
When I got up this morning and looked out the window, Madison and Adams had a nice white topping of fresh snow. Dont think it will last long, but its time to start thinking about carrying colder weather gear. No need for snowshoes yet!

The Mt. Washington summit obs is reporting 22°F with a wind chill of 1°F.

And so it begins...
:) :) :)

It was cold on the moose last night. Man the snow didn't leave this year till the end of June, and here we are again.

Snow in VT

Can anyone confirm whether or not Mt. Abraham and Mt. Ellen in VT got any snow last night? They had called for some snow in the mountains near Waitsfield.

Snow in VT

No kidding. That's pretty cool. Going to Lincoln Gap a week from today (10/7) to hike the Monroe Skyline. Abe to Ellen and back. I've been watching the weather pretty closely for that area and saw snow in the forecast for last night. It will probably all be melted by next week. Any idea how much fell? I'm guessing just a dusting.

Thanks for the news peakbagger! So Exciting! Time to think about getting those skis tuned.

MichealJ, love your kitty avatar.
-vegematic

Mt Washington summit got about an inch of snow, but much more substantial Rime Ice overnight on Thursday. Friday morning, the State Park and Obs folks, and Auto Road Crew, were all using chains on vehicles until around noon. Ice and snow accumulations began at about 4000 ft elevation, but the sun is a good friend to all.

There was still some snow/ice in sheltered/shadowed areas today, Saturday. High daytime temps @ summit were in the low 40's with winds diminishing from 40's to teens throughout the day.

Today the AMC/Pinkham lot overflowed before 9 AM, 19 Mile Brook parking was overwhelmed before 8. Parking on both sides of 16 up to a quarter mile in both directions, and some folks spotting cars at Wildcat depending on the thumb.

When I opened the Auto Road this morning @ 7:30, I had a party of 3 Quebecois who had been waiting for some time, thinking that all the trailheads for hiking the Rockpile started at the Auto Road Entrance. A little high-school French goes a good way... AH EM SEE ( yay!) sur la droit trois mille Sud au Route D'sixe..... and by noon I had need to use the same words 4 more times in French and more than a few times in English.

Present company excepted only in part....... be careful out there, not only for yourself, but for others, too.

The Hills are alive.

Happy Autumn!

Breeze

Last edited:
With days like today I'd say I'm in no hurry. I could just keep on walking but the snowshoes are waiting patiently. :)

Ice is nice,snow is fun!
Winter grey and falling rain,we'll see summer come again,
Darkness falls and seasons change(gonna happen every time).
Same old friends the wind and rain,summers fade and roses die,
You'll see summer come again,like a song that's born to soar the sky.(GD)

Take a cold shower. It was 75 in Vermont today.

You'r just in denial the north wind is bringing sack fulls of snow.
Run me out in the cold rain and snow (GD)

peakbagger said:
When I got up this morning and looked out the window, Madison and Adams had a nice white topping of fresh snow. Dont think it will last long, but its time to start thinking about carrying colder weather gear. No need for snowshoes yet!

I used to have this distant view from my bedroom window in Berlin.

You live in Gorham huh? Do you know a lady named Hope that works for the forest service and lives right near the Hikers Paradise? If so tell her Brent says hi!

WOW, snow already.... :D Bring it on! Time to get the skis ready(DH that is). Looking forward to another great ski season! I hope this coming weekend will be okay up around Hale, North, and South Twin mountains. We're planning an overnighter there. :D