supplements?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Anyone take any of the supplements with glocosemine in it? I give it to my dog, but wonder if it would help my bad knee. Also, does anyone take that "5 hour energy" stuff. Thought it might be worth while putting a bottle in my pack for emergencies, but I don't want to take anything that will race my heart beat.

Can't speak to that 5 hour stuff but I'll swear by glucosemine. Ten years ago I had to stop running because of pain in the knees. Doc told me to stop running and take glucosemine. I never really got back into hard running but I can walk/hike for days without issue. I can't remember the last time I've had any knee pain.

Don't take glucosamine if you have gout. My doc told me to take it once and said it would help my joints and help relieve my gout. However, it made my gout attacks more frequent and far more painful. :eek: :confused: I finally looked at the Wikipedia entry for it and learned that it's made by hydrolysis of crustacean exoskeletons. Too much shellfish is no bueno for gout sufferers.

Edit: so if you are allergic to shellfish or on a low-purine diet for gout, avoid!

Last edited:
I've never seen a decaf variety on the shelf of my local stores. Makes me wonder if they really do anything for you without the caffeine. I also wonder if the caffeine free version has guarana or bitter orange which are also just stimulants.

I once took Glucosamine/Chondroitin (sp?) for a neck injury. At the time, I was told I had to take it for several months before it would start to work, and also that there was no definitive data indicating that it worked at all. I took it for about six months. My neck got better, but I don't know whether or not that would have happened on its own.

Here are a few articles/studies:
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002544.html
http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html

IIRC, about 50% of those taking glucosamine report that it helps, but often it takes a few months to see the difference.

As for "nutritional" supplements - more and more I stick by the old adage "less is more". Yes, hiking requires lots of carbs in the short-term and fats/proteins over the long, but for me it's better to get them in a 'natural' a form as possible. Have found that my body responds just as quickly from the sugar in a slice of dried pinapple as it does from a shot of Gu, and for some silly reason I think the pinapple is a better choice.

But ... the above is a minority opinion based on previous threads. People tend to feel as passionate about food/food-like substances as dogs on the trail, cell phones, GPSs, etc. Your question may generate lots of posts ...

I do not take it, but our 25 year-old quarter horse mare swears by glucosamine! :)

If we run out of it even for a few days she'll start to show signs of discomfort. Once she's back on it the signs disappear...

I imagine it works the same way for some people. I'm that way when it comes to coffee in morning!

Instead of 5-hour energy, just pack a few packets of GUSHERS. I'm not joking - I've seen incredible mood shifts on the trail when I pull these out of my bag and pass them around :rolleyes:

glucosamine didn't work for me.....many different brands and it was getting expensive...I'm getting my 6th scope in April and a new right knee in the near future...

I'm staying away from those 5 hr shots....a few years ago I went to the Fall Vermont gathering and drank 2 red bulls and had some coffee because of the long car drive.....I thought I was going to have a heart attack....I can remember teejay and I think bubba laughing and telling me that I'll be ok in about 6 hours.....never again am I messing around with those type of drinks...be careful...I'm sticking to chocolate...

Caffeine, and sugar for that matter, don't do anything for me be it positively or negatively. I must of built up a tolerance to it when, as a teen and young adult, I practically lived on Mountain Dew. Oh the stupid things we do til we finally learn our lesson. :rolleyes:

Edit: Well, the sugar does do one thing.. makes me fat. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In terms of the 5 hour energy drinks as an emergency “quick boost”, you may want to read this article and the numerous other ones like it. After a little research you’ll be able to decide if it’s right for you.

A couple of years ago, I started taking a caffeine pill in the morning instead of my regular cup of coffee. It’s a lot easier taking a pill in your tent in the morning than brewing up a cup, even if it’s instant.
After a couple of years, I don’t miss the coffee, the caffeine pills give me the jolt I need and it’s cheaper and easier than coffee. You may want to consider a couple of caffeine pills in your emergency kit. A 200mg pill is equivalent to a cup of coffee and they’ll give you a great boost for a couple of hours. Sugar is just going to spike our blood and then you’ll crash unless you keep taking it.

I think supplements are a waste of money. All of them. It's a racket that preys on weekend warriors in order to transfer hard-earned pay from one pocket to another.

Ever heard of grape seed extract? Royal jelly? Give me a break.

Ever heard of food? It really really works. :D

Nevertheless, Glucosamine does work except it won't help most of the people taking it because they don't have what Glucosamine helps.

Someone I work with was drinking an energy drink one day, not sure of the brand. I picked up the can and starting reading the ingredients. One of the ingredients was yohimbe which has been used to treat erectile dysfunction. I think at one time it was an actual FDA approved, could write a script and get insurance to pay for it herb. Needless to day, I gave alot of xhit to this 23 year old male about his erectile issues.