supplements?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevertheless, Glucosamine does work except it won't help most of the people taking it because they don't have what Glucosamine helps.

This is about the best, most concise evaluation of Glucosamine I've ever seen. BRILLIANT !!!

Regular exercise, like something every day, and lots of stretching is what my joints needs, and I've had some issues over the years. Best thing that ever happened to me was when I couldn't get Vioxx any more...I had to actually figure out what the problem was and how to stay ahead of it.

I wore out the cartilage in my knees from years of swimming. I always had pain, I really think glucosamine has helped.

But I also stretch and warm up more seriously, along with a good cool down and ending stretch to all my workout sessions.

I think the combination of the two is what did it.

I also sprained both ankles last year and I would like to think glucosamine helped that heal. In all reality, that's probably psychosomatic because that's not what glucosamine does. Either way, psychosomatic or not, they feel good and I'll take that over what they were like before.

Glucosamine

I have psoriatic arthritis...and take mobic for this. I added Glucosamine to this... and went from having a cast on my ankle (due to wicked ankle arthritis pain) to...well...no pain at all. Of course, losing 142 pounds helped too.

Anyway, I had heard a study that showed that Glucosamine actually didn't do anything (no difference noted between glucosamine and placebo) so...I decided to stop taking it. Hey, it's expensive so why buy if it doesn't work. Well...within 1 week, I noted that the pain was still almost not there...but, I was noticing it again...with both the Mobic and the glucosamine...I no longer noted it at all.

I guess for what I have, it does help. I think it's like ANY medication (herbal or not); use with caution and use only for what it is intended...kind of like using antibiotics for a VIRAL infection...won't help at all.

I start a carbo loading a day or two before a hike.
And I drink an homemade energy drink, during the the first part of the hike.

Glucosamine absolutely works for me. Three years ago I would have to add the knee brace on my left knee for the downhill part of the hike.The knee braces have stayed untouched in the bottom of my pack since taking the glucosamine. (Guess I could dare to leave em home, now that you mention it)

You DO have to take it for awhile before it starts to work, and don't get lazy and think it's OK to stop taking it now cause you will notice those pains starting to speak to you again

My knees used to snap and pop and make a dry, gritty sound ascending the stairs in a quiet house... have been taking a glucosamine-chondroitin complex for about two years. After about two months of taking the glucosamine, my knees made a much quieter "swish-swish" on same stairs.

YMMV, it has worked for me. We buy a glucosamine (500mg) and chondroitin (400mg) at BJs and take 2 tablets in the AM and 1 tablet in the PM.

Neil, I tend to agree with you, a healthy, balanced diet is generally a good thing... can you recommend any foods that are particularly high in glucosamine, or chondroitin, or any other substances noted for improving join lubrication?

can you recommend any foods that are particularly high in glucosamine, or chondroitin
It doesn't work that way. Unless you are a cannibal, you will not find these in any kind of food item. Glucosamine and chondroitin are two molecules that make up the type of cartilage found within joints. Glucosamine supplement is derived from shellfish exoskeletons and chondroitin is made from extracts of cartilaginous cow and pig tissues (cow trachea and pig ear and nose), but other sources such as shark, fish and bird cartilage are also used.

chondroitin, cat's claw ???

Tobit is correct. I don't think you can find glucosamine in your food. I use a glucosamine supplement and that combined with weight training in the gym seem to keep the knees happy. If I ignore the gym for too long (as in skiing or hiking almost every day) the knees start to hurt. So staying motivated to find time in the gym is key for me.

I've heard that the chondroitin molecule is too large to be absorbed and do any good taken orally. Any info on that? The supplement I use contains an herb called Cat's Claw.

The biggest issue I have with supplements like Chondroitin and, to a lesser extent, Glucosamine, is the fact that, here in the US, they are classified as a dietary supplement in the first place. As a result, in chondroitin sulfate supplements, there are no mandatory standards for formulation, and no guarantee that the product is correctly labeled. This is not the case of Europe where there is a chondroitin sulfate formulation approved as a drug and considered as the reference product, with evidenced efficacy and safety demonstrated by clinical trials in osteoarthritic patients. Here in the US, I could grind up a bunch of shark cartilage and call it chondroitin sulfate and get away with it.

I've heard that the chondroitin molecule is too large to be absorbed and do any good taken orally. Any info on that? The supplement I use contains an herb called Cat's Claw.

I don't know enough about it to know if these articles answer the question, but here they are anyway:

http://www.innvista.com/health/ailments/arthritis/glucchon.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_4_11/ai_n27098212
http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=37204

Maybe there's a chiropractor on the board who can shed some light? :D

I found these on Cat's Claw:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/cropfactsheets/catsclaw.html
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cats-claw.htm
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/altm...0037.xml&contentName=Cat's+Claw&contentId=200
http://www.medicine-plants.com/store/save/

The biggest issue I have with supplements like Chondroitin and, to a lesser extent, Glucosamine, is the fact that, here in the US, they are classified as a dietary supplement in the first place. As a result, in chondroitin sulfate supplements, there are no mandatory standards for formulation, and no guarantee that the product is correctly labeled. This is not the case of Europe where there is a chondroitin sulfate formulation approved as a drug and considered as the reference product, with evidenced efficacy and safety demonstrated by clinical trials in osteoarthritic patients. Here in the US, I could grind up a bunch of shark cartilage and call it chondroitin sulfate and get away with it.

That's why it's important to buy supplements made by reputable companies. Jarrow is one, I'm sure there are others.

It doesn't work that way.

I will do my best not to be excessively subtle in the future. It was my assumption that there are no foods that could be eaten in reasonable amounts that would provide high levels of glucosamine or chondroitin. I generally agree with and respect Neil's point that good nutrition is the start, but I personally subscribe to the theory that there are some things you can't get simply through a reasonably balanced diet, so I do take supplements. At worst, I produce some high-octane urine. At best, maybe I enhance my health and well-being. In the case of glucosamine, I am a believer.

Lastest rsearch

I heard the lastest resarch said it doesnt work like they had indicated.
I took it for 3 years off and on and cant honestly say it worked for me.

BUT everyone is different and maybe it does work on some.

We use Accelerade for our trips, repalcs electrolytes and give natural boost

Caffiene works differently for athletes on the move than resting. In other words caffiene for us in motion is not as
much a diuretic and has benefit endurance . (Craig Connally, The Mountaineering Handbook)

Caffeine increases muscle's ability to uptake and therefore consume fat for energy. Without caffeine you burn a higher carb to fat ratio. Carbs get depleted more quickly than do fats so Caffeine has a carb sparing affect, which is good for endurance.

Caffeine is reasonably priced and comes in a wide assortment of preparations. :) Latté anyone?

When does a "supplement" or a neutraceutical become a drug? With some of the stuff out there is tinkering with our physiology necessarily a good thing? A good example is Echinacea. It affects the immune system, we all know that. But is it a good idea to be stimulating the immune system with pharmacologically active plants? Maybe, maybe not.

Neil, you are right. There are many herbals and supplements that when metabolized, react in the body the same way a prescribed medication does. Not that the FDA does a bang up job on precribed meds, but there are no standards out there for supplements. Many of the studies done on supplements are small and have not duplicated on any large scale. You can not be sure of how much of an active ingredient you are actually getting in any formulation. There are some supplements I tell my patients to avoid. When they simply must supplement, I tell them to buy ( I have no problem with glucosamine in except in diabetes or fish pil) the same reliable brand instead by buying whatever they can find thats on sale or cheap.

I tell my patients to smoke. At least they know the effects. Not to mention the exact amount of tar and nicotine.

I still have a container of accellerade left over for a few years. I don't know if it works but it taste like @##$% :(.I have to mix it with gatoraide and suger just to get it down.:rolleyes:

try anything

I have used the glucosamine/chondroitin product for a year based on advice of my sports doc for a "bad" knee... While I was informed and expected that any results would be slow and gradual I can't honestly say this product did anything for me....however I did think it was worth a try as..if anything helps that's good and SOME people do report relief..

That being said, a friend of mine who golfs swears the product alleviated his joint stiffness and dropped a few strokes off his game.

as to the "energy boost" supplements.. I know more that a couple of hikers who swear by them and typically would have a couple on a strenuous hike..I do carry a couple in my pack for emergency but tend to keep towards real food..well..bars if you must know..nuts..etc.. I have also used the protein and electrolyte concentrates in my water..diluted alot. and think they work pretty good..

the bottem line...as any who have hiked with me know...nothing like a good black iced coffee at the trailhead for a little get up and go.....

Last edited: