the best bug spray ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd9truck

Reaction score
I will be hiking the high peaks on fathers day to the 24th and have used citronella cream deep woods of and macanudos (cigars). This has worked on the fringes of the season, but has not been tested in the end of June. As the constraints of the world are upon me this is the only time I can get away .Dose bivying at elivation help?

Ultrathon works really well against mosquitoes, but not black flies. DEET products (Ben's) are nasty.

Cheaper cigars smell worse and repel more. ;)

Steve

29% DEET.

Higher concentrations dissolve synthetics better, but have little effect on the critters.

JFYI: Citronella oil is to black bears what catnip is to cats. Several "incidents" have occurred due to people wearing citronella based insect repellents.(female bears are especially fond of it)

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
29% DEET.
Higher concentrations dissolve synthetics better, but have little effect on the critters.
I have seen references saying that bug repellancy/duration improves up to about 50%. But no matter what the exact threshold is, there is no need for the 100% stuff.

Doug

Deet to black flys is like putting ketsup on a hamberger. The only defense is no seeum netting or steel armor shield.

I have never seen anything that repels black flys. Anyone have any remedies besides cheap cigars?

I used to swear by "Bens in the liilt orange bottle but its nasty to put on, now I use "deep woods off" in the green can, sprays on and works very well.

You've got to go with what works on you. Personally, I hate to put chems. on, period. Especially if I can't wash it off soon. But when the conditions are real bad, nothing else but Deet products work on me. The lower the amount of Deet (7% - 15%) the more often it has to be applied. Good for short term use. Deep Woods Off lasts a lot longer & is probably the best for most conditions. But I will admit, I put just a couple of drops of Bens on in camp once & spread that sm. amt. all over arms, legs, & head areas & they stayed away, period!
As far as non Deet products on me, forget it. I've had people swear by things like Skin so Soft for Mosquitoes & Midgies (at the Marina). The perfume smell nearly killed me & I think I got bit more, so I wouldn't even try it for black flies.
So if your going out, especially overnighting, take some Deet & try not to use it, unless your sanity depends on it. (I actually saw a guy almost loose it once).
I have some plans this year to overnight during Black Fly season & I'm getting a head net cause the Chems. are real dangerous for me now. I'll still take some Deet, just in case.

29% deet, no wind, sitting on the cairn on Bear Mtn (CT). Heavy black flies. Applied to face, forehead, shoulders, hands. Not much of a sweat going.

Measured about 12 and half minutes before the first critter landed and stayed on my forehead.

I try not to use bug spray, but when I do, the only kind that works remotely as well as the old Ben's 100 is Cutters. Other brands, including Deep Woods Off, smell nicer but don't seem to work as well, even when they have the same percent (26+) of DEET.

Hike with kids, young blood taste better! :D

On the serious side I use "deep woods off" Spray it on my hat, shirt and pants. maybe a little on the skin. Seldom get bothered by the little buggers. I have heard/read eating foods heavy with garlic helps. However I never saw anything that looked scientific on it.

I've had pretty good luck with a product that contains "permetherin" (sp)...you apply it on cloths only, hat, shirt etc, it lasts for weeks before you need to reapply, but I reapply after a week or so anyways..combined with a DEET product, so far it keeps the delta winged daggers, aka:deerflies, and skeets, plus just about anything else, away including blackflies.

It also works GREAT for ticks, I live in Saratoga county, where the deerticks are rampant, it keeps them at bay as well.:cool:

Has anybody else out there had any similar experiences with it?

i had good luck with permethrin as well though mr x's avatar scares the crap out of me!

adkleaddog said:
I've had pretty good luck with a product that contains "permetherin"

Has anybody else out there had any similar experiences with it?
I apply permetherin to clothing and socks (at home) and add DEET on exposed skin as required (rare). I generally keep moving which also keeps one out of reach of the bugs--frequently moving alone is sufficient without the use of chemical repellents.

Works for me.

Doug