The foliage is beginning to glow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
In the midst of the fog the glow is starting its show. An occasional tree in full color pops out in front of me and I just have to stop and marvel. I see it every year but it never loses it's allure. Yellow birch leaves blown off from the rain storm cover the wet trail and makes it new though I walk it often. The red newts get harder to see as they blend in with the colors and I don't want to step on them. The berries are still tasty and the birds sing me along. Autumn officially begins this week but the feel is already there. :)

Chip said:
over night I noticed ALOT more trees have gone brown.
fall will be quick this year, enjoy it for as long as it lasts !

Yeah, I suspect the same. We didn't get a lot of rain over the past month or two. We'll see though. :)

Can anyone recommend a good site that gives info on approximate foliage changing times for the NE?

Generally, the foliage peaks in late September in northern New England, early to mid October in the White Mountains depending on the year, mid in central and southern NH down into MA, mid to late in MA and late along coastal MA and southern New England. If memory serves me correctly that is.... :)

Lawn Sale said:
I can't believe how much it's changed just in the last 2 days. Fall is definitely here, time to clean the house for winter and move things around.

I also noticed that in my neck of the woods today during my run. It's a comin'. :D

We saw a fair number of trees already showing their yellows while driving home from Vermont today, and the occasional bright red beauty. Autumn isn't just coming, it's here.

carole said:
In the midst of the fog the glow is starting its show. An occasional tree in full color pops out in front of me and I just have to stop and marvel. I see it every year but it never loses it's allure. Yellow birch leaves blown off from the rain storm cover the wet trail and makes it new though I walk it often. The red newts get harder to see as they blend in with the colors and I don't want to step on them. The berries are still tasty and the birds sing me along. Autumn officially begins this week but the feel is already there. :)

Is this a post or a poem?! Very nice :)

On a previous thread we were talking about following the change from north to south. In case it wasn't mentioned, keep an eye on the bogs. Yesterday I hiked Sawyer River Trail and there were a few boggy areas that were almost fully turned. I really like beaver bogs. Does anyone have a favorite bog that has a view of distant mountains? (Yes, I'm thinking of photographs ;) )

Northwest NJ is showing some color as well. Mainly yellows from birches, cherry and some orange from the maples. There is a nice carpet of leaves on the trails now as well. Looking forward to the fall and then winter. Although I doubt it will be a good fall due to the lack of rain.

How about color now??

I'm going to the Willey Range and hope to walk out through Zealand Notch and the Ethan area etc. I'm hopin to see some golden birches! Any updates on the foliage that I can get besides from a website??

grouseking

Can't wait to go see for myself this weekend. We're heading up to Mt. Jackson tomorrow. :D

Not to push anything about winter, but I just saw an article in the Foster's Daily Democrat about having a cold, wet winter according to the Farmer's Almanac of Maine. :) And they also said "higher than normal snowfall totals and colder temperatures". Ya whoo....can't wait....I love winter! Lots of skiing to be had. ;) :D :D