The perfect tent...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Ok, so I am looking for the perfect 1 or 2 man tent. I have used several tents, and let's just say that they aren't perfect. Have you found the perfect tent? Here are my qualifications:
- well ventillated
- 3 season stormproof
- freestanding
- lightweight
- reasonably priced

Got any great ideas?

I put "reasonably priced" last since I am willing to forego that, if necessary. Anybody have experience with MSR tents?

been using the msr hubba tent since june and really love it.
sets up really fast, tons of ventillation/no condensation at all yet, a little over 3 pounds with footprint and can be set up as a tarp only.
has not seen much rain use, but doesnt seem like a problem if you set up the fly correctly.
i really like to leave the fly off on clear nights and enjoy the 360 degree stargaze.
the hubba hubba (2 man) is on sale at campmor now.

If on a budget: one of the SD lightweights such as theLight Year CD ($139)

FYI- if you want this tent, I know where to get it for $118 with no shipping cost. If you want the bigger SD Clip flashlight CD 2 person, in which I have, it costs $129.

You can pm or email me and I'll send you the site.

Thanks all - Do you guys use these in the winter? I know they are "3 season" Waht are the disadvantages to using them then?

We have the tent that meets the test. The Walrus Rapide. Sets up freestanding in 2 minutes(pole and hubs built in). Weighs in just under 5 lbs,paid $169,on sale. It's 4 season,and we beat the daylights out of it for 5 yrs,and it's still OK.
However...Walrus was swallowed up by MSR,but I believe the Hubba(or Hubba Hubba) is the replacement.
The Rapide is not very spacious,however.
So,for a little extra room for the looong winter nights,we also have a Walrus Warp Expedition.
You may find someone on line with either of these still in stock.

Haven't used the SD Clip flashlight cd in real winter temps, and don't plan to :) - so I can't help you there

I have the MSR Zoid 2.0. OK tent, I haven't taken it backpacking yet, I doubt I will it's a bit on the bulky side of things but I've used it for car camping and kayak camping.

I had a North Face tadpole that I dearly miss. Surprisingly small packed size, a bit lighter than the Zoid. It's freestanding and can be used with just the fly.

So, if I could I would go for the tadpole.

The perfect tent would be solar heated!

I like my Bibler single wall, small but light for the winter.

I like my Moss "Outlook" for it's storm worthiness in wet weather, and it's quality of materials and amazing workmanship made here in the USA.

I like my clip flashlight for long distance light overnights.

I love my TNF VE25 when I can find partners to lug it around. The thing is a bomb shelter!

The only thing I would add to this ridicules list of tents is a hooped bivi sac.

You can guess how impressed my wife is with my collection of tents…………..
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So, is the diff between a 3 and 4 season tent the ability to shed snow? I know there are double walled tents - what is that for?

I have a Kelty Vortex 2 and really like it for all seasons camping. It has 2 doors and 2 large vestibules so it is very convenient. it weighs 6 lbs which isn't too bad. It is free standing except for 2 stakes for the vestibules. The only disadvantage for winter is the ventilation area is large making it a little colder but it doesn't get much condensation either.

Sierra Designs Meteor Light

I have had it for 1 1/2 years now and it is in fact the perfect tent. I have taken it up through ANYTHING...from car camping where space and set up ease is important, to a trip to a small peak off of Mt. Washington and subsequent attempt at Mt. Isolation on a day where the sustained winds were over 100 mph, and gusts up to 160. We camped out with 2 1/2 ft. trees as our windblock, and the wind essentially beat the tent senseless, it was actually bending the sucker over completely sideways, but the tent held up. The only problem (slight when you think about it) was that the sides of the tent "punched" us in the side while we slept, becuase of the wind. The tent made it to morning unscathed.

Ive had it in any temp from feb in the northern presis to august here in CT during a torrential downpour. It has taken me and my perpetually overpacking buddies and me in graciously trip after trip. Other than windproof fleece jackets :D this tent was the best peice of gear i have ever purchased.

Oh yeah, i horribly bent a pole trying to shove it in the wrong hole when it was -40 outside, and SD replaced it for free.

As you can see, im pretty convinced on my tent.

My trip report extolling my tent....

another vote for the vortex 2. best tent ive ever used for 3.5 seasons of hiking..... the only time i dont bring it is when I am solo hiking or distance hiking - for that I would need them to somehow shave a pound or two off of it.

amazingly easy to set up, roomy, the two doors and two vestibules are deal makers, and the free standing bathtub design is perfect - thread the two poles and then move the tent around to the spot you want. i have yet to see a better design

Here's some info about the difference between 3 and 4 season tents: REI

Personally, my 3-season tent has lots of bugmesh on the walls so that on dry summer nights I can leave the fly off and get good ventilation.

My 4-season tent has more room because in winter I'll bring more gear. It also has more poles (for strength) and a larger vestibule that I can cook in.