Ultralite backpack and bear cannisters.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience they'd like to share regarding using both an ultralite pack and a bear cannister? I have a cannister (8x12 in) and am looking into replacing my Northface pack with something a lot lighter. Quick menal calculation gives me about 600 cubes for the 2 1/2 lb :eek: cannister. (3x16x12)

Going out on a limb, here, but I think Neil wants to carry the cannister in the new pack.

Last edited:
That's it. More specifically I'm worried about the cannister not fitting well.

I can't take the credit for my beautiful new me

Thanks, but these aren't my skills -- somebody else posted this (I'll look it up and give them the credit [editor's note: credit given in PS below]) I just liked the look!

PS:
Panama Jack PMed that my new avatar is the handiwork of SherpaJohn. Thnks PJ, thanks SJ!

PPS:
I think I've always been a blonde trapped in a mousy-brown's body.

Last edited:
Oh, just dimensions you're worried about. Which way you gonna put it? Do want it to be 12" across or 16" across. Is that 3, feet or inches? Seems like odd dimensions 16 x 12 x 3. :confused:

Last edited:
Gris said:
Oh, just dimensions you're worried about. Which way you gonna put it? Do want it to be 12" across or 16" across. Is that 3, feet or inches? Seems like odd dimensions 16 x 12 x 3. :confused:
The can is 8 by 12 inches.
the 16x12x3 is to calculate the volume of approx. 600 cubic inches. (16 = r squared and 3 is short for pi,12 is the height. Sorry!)

percious said:
Ready to pony up for it?
Nope.

Last edited:
Checking out and talking with the AT thru-hikers last few years, it seems the lightweight packs have now evolved to where 16-24 oz is the standard for frameless rucksack and 32-50 oz is the standard for full suspension (in a 3500-4000 cu pack). I assume if you're a TNF man you're looking for suspension. Of course, fit, frills and durability vary from brand to brand. Three or four models jump to mind. Granite Gear makes the Vapor Trail and Ozone models. Gregory makes the Z-pack. Osprey makes the Aether 60. And a guy out in Logan Utah is having some sweet packs made somewhere in Canada (ULA P-2). All of these should accomodate an 8 x 12 cannister. All have been trail tested. If yer lucky TramperAl will weigh in on this. He does his own research! :D :D :D

I asked this question on a few hiking web boards last year. Best response I got was... strap the canister to the outside of the pack. Option #2 was... store other things (ex - clothes) in the canister to maximize remaining space, which didn't seem too bright to me.

This is the problem I have with the canister reg. I used to be able to bivy overnight with just a day pack. Now I'll have to engineer some system to strap the canister to my daypack w/o throwing the weight distribution out of whack. I'm sure I'll manage though.

rico said:
I asked this question on a few hiking web boards last year. Best response I got was... strap the canister to the outside of the pack. Option #2 was... store other things (ex - clothes) in the canister to maximize remaining space, which didn't seem too bright to me.

This is the problem I have with the canister reg. I used to be able to bivy overnight with just a day pack. Now I'll have to engineer some system to strap the canister to my daypack w/o throwing the weight distribution out of whack. I'm sure I'll manage though.

Yup, I'm facing the same problem. BTW an 8 x 12 canister will fit inside a Golite Race pack, but there isn't much room for anything else. There also is no real good way to strap the canister to the outside of the pack that I've been able to figure out. I’ll be watching this thread with great interest.

I have the Golite Dawn, L, and the Bearvault 7 day. This pack advertises 2,400 cubic inches. The bearvault fits easily inside a rolled blue foam pad inside the pack. this set up gives an excellent rigidity to the pack, effectively transferring all of the weight to the hip belt. While I haven't done any trips yet, I have done some test hikes with an 18 pound load, it was amazingly comfortable. How comfortable it is after a full day on the trail is the real test.

The only problem I have with this is the lack of remaining volume. The pack volume is an advertised 2,400in^3, I think the main compartment is less than 2,000in^3 effective volume. Given the Bearvault and the foam pad are each about 700 cubic inches, they take up over 2/3rds of the main compartment volume. I'll probably be able to fit anough gear and food for a three day trip, if I use part of the cannister volume for storage of gear. I might have to make a top bag to sit on the pack to do it even then.

I could also go with a smaller inflatable pad, but then I would probably be giving up rigidity and adding weight.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with the something the size of the Golite Speed. Actually, next time I am making my own pack. :D

Tony

I have the GVP G-4, approximately 4600 ci available and I own the Bearvault 7 day also. I have used them together and have been fine. Total weight of my pack was about 20 lb. They're available here: Gossamer Gear . I got mine a couple of years ago for about $40. It was last year's model. Free shipping too.

Neil - word of advice re "loading" up frameless packs. i own frame and frameless, custom by same guy. everyone's different and some people can do it, but i can only carry about 20-25 lbs in frameless sack, just doesn't transfer load to the hipbelt as effectively as pack w/ stays. ;)

Gris said:
Neil - word of advice re "loading" up frameless packs. i own frame and frameless, custom by same guy. everyone's different and some people can do it, but i can only carry about 20-25 lbs in frameless sack, just doesn't transfer load to the hipbelt as effectively as pack w/ stays. ;)
Actually, I'm new to ultralite backpacking and havn't acquired much of anything yet ( 1 jetboil stove and a down summer bag) alltho I have spent a lot of time checking it out. I know I wouldn't be ready to set off for an overnight tommorow with only 20-25 lbs of stuff allthough I sure would like to. Maybe the pack should be a later acquisition. Ie. when all the other stuff's weight has been brought down to suitable levels.

Tonycc's suggestion to use the b.c. wrapped in a foam pad is a good one. I use a seat-sized closed-cell foam pad as a "rigidifier" in my frameless EMS 2800LT -- works like a charm to transfer the load to the hip belt, and makes a great seat on rocks and snow.

Gris said:
A-Bob, damn, i paid the $100, why are you still here? :(
P.T. Barnum said it best, kindly sparing us any awkwardness -- oh, that was rhetorical, wasn't it? Never mind! ;) I wanted to pledge about 3 weeks ago, but I couldn't log on!

Also, a little civility, please (i.e., language): children have access to this page.

Last edited:
Bearvault

Hey,

So, I used the recent 20% off EMS sale to pick up a Bearvault 7 day. Fortunately for my bank account, I didn't know about the lighter carbon fiber canisters at the time.

The Bearvault is indeed like a big Nalgene jar. It looks like for me it will house roughly 5 of my 1 day food bags, but I tend to pack a lot of calories.

I had some minor difficulty opening the Bearvault, and had to use both of my opposable thumbs simultaneously to accomplish it. I then put it up on the top shelf of my closet and had a tough time getting it back down - it is very slippery and I couldn't get a good grip on it while reaching.

I mainly purchased it for one particular food cache I will be leaving in Maine late this summer, and I can report back on that experience later. Ethically, it is hard for me to justify additional field research with food caches unless they have therapeutic benefit for me as hiker or are the result of accidental abandonment and later recovery of gear in the field.

Neil said:
Actually, I'm new to ultralite backpacking and havn't acquired much of anything yet ( 1 jetboil stove and a down summer bag) alltho I have spent a lot of time checking it out. I know I wouldn't be ready to set off for an overnight tommorow with only 20-25 lbs of stuff allthough I sure would like to. Maybe the pack should be a later acquisition. Ie. when all the other stuff's weight has been brought down to suitable levels.
Ultralight backpacking has been a long term project. After several years I am finally at the point where UL pack is feasible, although now I am being forced to make some other decisions and purchases because of the pack. It is a journey, I still have know idea where I will end up. :cool:

Tony

tonycc said:
Ultralight backpacking has been a long term project. After several years I am finally at the point where UL pack is feasible, although now I am being forced to make some other decisions and purchases because of the pack. It is a journey, I still have know idea where I will end up. :cool:

Tony
Interesting. I think I'll hold off on the pack and lighten up on my shelter next. Still trying to decide between hammock (would need two: one for me, one for my son) and tarptent.
Next big move: replacing fresh basil with dried.