Views of Baxter (VOB) #3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I found the pictures, but they're film prints, so you'll have to take my word for it that I reviewed the photos and discovered that you can see the Spencers from Burnt Mtn.

Spencer, did you see Big and Little Spencer out there?

el-bagr said:
Well, I found the pictures, but they're film prints, so you'll have to take my word for it that I reviewed the photos and discovered that you can see the Spencers from Burnt Mtn.

Spencer, did you see Big and Little Spencer out there?
I'm sure you can see the Spencers. However I would say they are way out of the field of the picture Spencer posted.

Look at this: Topozone 250k map. This was hard to frame. Katahdin is at the far right margin. Burnt is at the very top margin (Center Mountain is labelled below it) and Big Spencer is at the lower left corner. I would estiimate the bearing is about 90 degrees to the right of Katahdin. But given the low lying area between the two, there is little doubt one could see the Spencers.

I have a view of Big Spencer from the top of the Hunt spur behind Sentinel Mountain here: Spencer behind Sentinel from Hunt Spur and here's the reverse: Katahdin from Big Spencer

You can see from that last one that the peaks in the north of BSP are out of view to the left. So I suspect your mystery peak was something else (besides Big Spencer is not cone shaped).

I don't think you can see the Spencers from Burnt. Note for those of you that haven't been there that the summit is not open. There is a fire-related clearing on the SSE side of the summit from which I took my pictures. From that point, I couldn't even see the summit of McCarty just next door.

If you draw a line from the summit of Burnt to the summit of McCarty and extend it for ~30 miles, you still come up too far east to see Big Spencer.

Big Spencer is cone-shaped from certain vantage points when you doin't see the broad-side of it.

The only cone-shaped mountain I notice in any of my Burnt Mt. pics is Doubletop which peaks out between Center and Strickland. yes, Doubletop is cone-shaped from Burnt Mt. It's all in the perspective!

spencer

spencer said:
... Note for those of you that haven't been there that the summit is not open. ...
spencer
Good point. And I thought all the Baxter peaks had views, but I guess that's just the 3ks. And by your answer you have answered my other question: the fire tower is obviously long gone.

When I visited last year, the Burnt Mountain fire tower was still standing. The cab was locked, and trees (hardwood, so climb in winter) have grown up largely obscuring the views, but you could see the lakes to the north. When I return, I'll bring a pair of slings to tie in a bit better -- it was windy, and the rungs are rather slippery and widely spaced. As it was, I was unable to take pictures or bearings while up there.

Still, the cone mountains were visible from the "backside" clearing -- a stumpy, slashy area looking southward over McCarty field area. I believe the mountains in question were not Doubletop. They was much too distant -- I'd estimate something like 50 miles based on haze, with maybe 5 miles between the two of them. As far as the Katahdin massif is from Burnt, it's maybe 4x that far to this. Look left of Soubunge, right of Strickland's shoulder.

Or try Google Earth. I'm a Worldwind guy, but I tried GE last night -- putting the viewpoint at Burnt, then tilting the world to give a pseudoview. Point the camera in the Spencers' general direction, and you can see what I saw. Doesn't prove you can see it on the ground, though.

Now you've got me second-guessing that it was Doubletop... Guess I will have to dig up that picture!

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense! if the tower was sitll there (no kidding - I thought it has been gone for a while but of course the trip in question was my first time up) you should definitely be able to see the Spencers and as I alluded to earlier, it would likely be cone-shaped from that direction.

and I too am a WW guy. I like to be able to see the topos and straight up aerials not on GE.

your mileage would be about right between them, also.

Hereis a WorldWind image of it.

spencer

I dug up my pics from Burnt Mountain on 7/4/04.

This one is essentially the same composition as VOB#3. The conifers in the foreground even match up.

Looking all the way to the right (westerly), you can see two hazy peaks poking out in the distance between Soubunge (mid-distance, right) and Strickland/Center/whatever closer in.

This is a zoom on the two distant peaks between/beyond Strickland/Soubunge.

By contrast, the cone shaped one in the distance in this shot should be Doubletop.

My notes show all these pics were from the south-side clearing, not the tower.

What do you think?